450 Derek's Trex 450 Pro DFC

Derek

I have to say....the 3GX is solid in the air. I flew 3 packs today on the 450 and it was smooth and fun. I don't like the idea of my flybarless "controller" possibly tipping my helicopter and causing damage. I'm sure I'll cause enough damage on my own, lol. I'd also like to have the Ikon on the 450 because I've gotten pretty familiar with it on my 600. it would just be nice to have the same, all around.

Tony

Staff member
I hear ya. There is a reason I have an Ikon on the 600N and I'm REALLY thinking about putting the AR7200BX back on the Align 450. The two 3GX's that I have will more than likely see the bottom of a burn pit in my back yard.

Derek

I still have an AR7200bx that I don't know what to do with. It may end up as trade fodder towards an Ikon.

pvolcko

I finally saw a 3gx in action this week. Wow. That was the scariest takeoff I've ever seen. It was a nitro 600. The worst shakes on takeoff ever. Damn near blade struck the ground a few times. Amazingly the pilot got it off the ground in one piece. Once in the air it was fine, but that takeoff... Woah.

xokia

I have 16 3S 2200mah lipos here. 4 of them are brand new 45C Nano Techs that I'm only using on the 450..
So if you are just doing normal flying the 45C nano-techs are fine. IMO these are 20C batteries. I can puff them like marshmallows in one flight. That battery I tossed in the trash. I took it easy on the rest of the 45C nano-techs I had. Then I replaced them with the A-spec 65C which is a kick ass 3S battery. The A-spec I pushed really hard and it takes everything you can throw at it.

The BEC inside the edge lite has been just fine for me. I have a lot of flight on mine and no issues.

murankar

Staff member
Most batteries rated over 35c are way less than that. Progressive rc has stated that most c ratings are false.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

I finally saw a 3gx in action this week. Wow. That was the scariest takeoff I've ever seen. It was a nitro 600. The worst shakes on takeoff ever. Damn near blade struck the ground a few times. Amazingly the pilot got it off the ground in one piece. Once in the air it was fine, but that takeoff... Woah.

My first couple of take offs ended.in a tip over and trimming the grass. I did fly 3packs yesterday without incident. I had to raise the spool up rate on the Castle Ice 50 a bit but I think all is good now.

pvolcko

I think that was a big part of the problem on the 600 nitro. It took forever to spool up. Must have had a bad clutch liner or something. Makes me wonder if the 3gx has a too short spool up timer or too low a pitch trigger where it starts paying attention to fbl feedback signals at full gain too early.

Derek

So, I'm flying my 450 pretty well now. It will flip and roll very well and very smooth. Not a sight of tail wag....until I get into some fast forward flying. Then the wag is pretty severe and then settles down. To resolve this, is this just a matter of lowering the gains a bit more?

Lee

Once you start to push your heli harder, the tail has to work harder too.
So you need to reduce the tail gain slightly.
Best way to know what the best value is, may be a little too advanced yet but, tail down funnels push the tail to the max.
If you get the gains set doing those, anything else is not going to cause an issue :)

Derek

Well, as most of you know, I had a slight mishap with my Trex 450 Pro DFC this past weekend. In all honesty, it crashed, lol.

But....I have most of the replacement parts here already. I placed an order for the other replacement parts and they showed up today. So, I'll be working on the teardown and rebuild tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully I can get the helicopter all setup by myself this time. If not, I'll be back asking questions, lol.

Derek

Ok, new parts have arrived and have been installed. The 450 flies again.

Happily, I can say that I was able to do the entire re-setup all on my own and got perfect 0 pitch at mid stick on both blades and I have a perfect 10.5 degrees of +/- pitch on both blades. I couldn't seem to get it solid on 10 degrees nor 11 degrees but it is perfect at 10.5 degrees on both sides.

I'm happy with that!!!

Top Bottom