450 Derek's Trex 450 Pro DFC

Derek

I'll put another layer of foam tape under my 3GX. I think I have 3 layers under the Ikon on my 600. I'll also remove the braided wrap from the servo wires on my 450. I can't say that I was ever really happy with the way they looked, anyway.

Slobberdog

I'm sure I seen the wiring on yours in a post but could not find it for toffee, but it's out the port side if I remember right, maybe it's the vibes from that combined with the wrap, as the airflow goes over it,

This is just a guess mind Derek, something has to be transmitting vibes as I can leave mine alone for a good few seconds and it does nowt, and that's on V3.1 which is tip over Central,

Make sure you give your bearings a light oil as well this will help it greatly with smoothness, I use heli options bearing oil with nano particles, lol

Derek

No worries, as far as the bearings....they have all been properly cleaned and re-oiled. Thrust bearings all cleaned and properly re-greased. I'm gonna just remove the wire mesh and be done with it.

The tip over that I had, most recently was on a take off attempt. I had the Castle Ice 50 programmed for super soft start..I think the number was 2. As good as that sounds, 2 is just too soft. It spooled up very nicely and smoothly but there just wasn't enough head speed to get light on the skids. However, there was enough head speed to make the 450 lean to one side really hard.

I hooked up my Castle Link and set the initial spool up to 5...I think.

I'll get that wire mesh taken off and get the servo wires fastened very well via zip ties and we'll try again. I'm working tonight and tomorrow night so I won't get much time to mess with anything until Monday.

Derek

I'm having a hard time understanding what to do with the motor on my 450. I have a 3600kv motor and, currently, I'm running an 11 tooth pinion. I've had quite a few hovers lately and I've had some great success while working on getting the gyro gains set for normal mode, stunt 1, and stunt 2. I pretty much have normal mode and stunt 1 all set up. I'm still working on getting stunt 2 locked in.

Anyway...my dilemma and question are here.

My dilemma is that I think the motor might be bogging while doing pitch pumps. Trying to do pitch pumps to see if the tail will hold properly.

My question is would the Align 450MX motor (3400kv) really be much different and possibly less motor bog?

Tony

Staff member
The 450MX will more than likely have more torque. But try running a V curve. 100 90 80 90 100. That should help with the bogging. If that doesn't help, then think about running a governor if the ESC has one built in.

Derek

Im only asking this because I want to understand why you are suggesting a v curve. How would a v curve be advantageous?

As far as the governor, I remember you saying that a 450 really didn't need an active governor....or something like that.

murankar

Staff member
I have the same issue with my setup and Lee suggested the same thing. I have a scorpion 2221-8 3595kv on an 11t pinion. I know I have the grunt but it bogs also while at a 70% flat curve. When I finally go back out I will be trying a v curve.

The v curve will allow the motor to slow down without bogging. Not sure how to explain it. When the motor bogs it slows down while trying to keep the set throttle. When the motor bogs it need more throttle to maintain set throttle. With a v curve the motor is allowed to drop its throttle without bogging because the curve tells it to slow down.

If the gov is working it will add throttle above the curve to maintain set head speed. That's why you need some overhead. On a 450 the gov really is not needed, it can be handled with a v curve.

Hoor this helps.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
A V curve will add power as you are adding collective. It will help with the bogging. And you are right, 450's don't normally need a governor, but if you are having bogging issues, it may help.

cml001

I use the V curve on my 450MX motor.. Stock Align ESC.. 90 high, 85 mid, & 90 low stick.. No need for 100% IMO... She pretty dang quick where I've got her. This does keep bogging at bay as throttle is give'n as u give pitch in this set up.. Draw back is that there is no compensation for voltage drop as a gov would. I've got parts for my 450 on the way and am tempted to grab the cc edge 50 so I can use the gov mode. How are u liking yours?

cml001

I don't know how much difference it makes.. But I went from a 30c discharge rate when I first got my 450 to a 45c.. Adds a gooooood bit of pep! And a tad cooler too I think.. No meter but to the touch.

Derek

I have 16 3S 2200mah lipos here. 4 of them are brand new 45C Nano Techs that I'm only using on the 450..

murankar

Staff member
I have 35c 2250 pulse packs and my output is around 75 amps. I am well over what my motor can pull.

Anything over 35c shouldn't make any difference unless you have bad solder joints or electronics.

Good luck.

Derek

I use the V curve on my 450MX motor.. Stock Align ESC.. 90 high, 85 mid, & 90 low stick.. No need for 100% IMO... She pretty dang quick where I've got her. This does keep bogging at bay as throttle is give'n as u give pitch in this set up.. Draw back is that there is no compensation for voltage drop as a gov would. I've got parts for my 450 on the way and am tempted to grab the cc edge 50 so I can use the gov mode. How are u liking yours?

I have the CC ICE 50. The programming is very simple and easy to do with the Castle Link. I have the ESC mounted on the right side of the frame, although it might actually fit inside the frame....not sure. I might mess around with the Governor Mode. I have it set with "fixed end points" right now. The spool up is very smooth. It seems to be doing everything its suppose to do. Gotta love it!!!

murankar

Staff member
I got it too and love it. The internal bec is variable voltage. Can't remember how high it goes though.

Derek

I have a CC 10amp external bec on mine.

I started with the YEP 45amp esc and I had some issues with it that prevented me from flying the 450 "safely." I bought the CC ICE 50 amp ESC and the CC 10 amp BEC, all hooked up, for $60 with shipping. All is good now. I just ran 3 packs through the 450 and had some fun. Still need to get the tail gain dialed in but the 450 is very flyable. The temperatures here are really nice, mid 80's....calm winds. The winds did gust a bit, probably up to 10mph or so. I just tried to time my take offs in between wind gusts and enjoyed the flights. My "baby autos" were a bit bumpy but nothing damaged.

Derek

I'm hoping to get a Mobius camera real soon so that I can get video when I'm flying on my own. All in good time, lol. I also think I'll be getting an Ikon for the 450. Not sure when yet but I am getting my vacation check real soon so I might just get the Ikon then. it would just be nice to have all the same flybarless systems. Then I'll pass the 3GX on to someone that really wants a 3GX.

Top Bottom