450 Derek's Trex 450 Pro DFC

Derek

That's right, ladies and gentlemen! Derek has joined the elite of the 450-class helicopters.

Ok, the use of the word "elite" is probably an over-kill, lol :lol:

I'm buying a Trex 450 Pro DFC from Tony. The helicopter will come to me with the 3GX and everything except main blades, motor, esc, and servos. I've been wanting a 450 helicopter for quite some time and this is just gonna be an awesome opportunity for me to learn the 3GX. Once completed, I should have a real good time learning to fly this one.

Derek

I've read a lot of positive and negative reviews on parts that are non-Align. Will I go with all Align parts? Not sure yet, but I sure am looking forward to having another heli to tinker with.

Derek

Well, I've done a great deal of shopping for parts for the 450. The 450 that I'm getting from Tony will be mostly complete, minus the motor, esc, servos, main blades, main gear hub and pinion. I have two sets of the 325 3G main blades. I have an Align DS520 servo for the tail. I also have 3 helical pinion gears (11, 12, and 13 tooth). The main gear hub will have the black helical 121 tooth main gear. I just haven't decided on the motor, esc, and cyclic servos yet.

cml001

Use the 450mx... Works good and won't break the bank, the align ESC isn't bad so long as u don't use the gov mode... I have debated on a cc edge 50.. Align ESC is fine.. Servos.. Honestly I didn't like the stock align servos at all.. They got the twitch.. Not a buzz as normal.. They would bounce and twitch... So I replaced them.. New ones did the same thing... So I opted for mks 92a+.. Cheaper than the 95s but I think just as good, and the 95i for the tail.. Mks isn't just hype... They are awesome! I've crashed the heli once since I've had them and they survived.. Soo servos.. I suggest the mks.. That's the only neg I can say about the 450, servos... Everything else seems solid to me... I did mod all the plastic I could as I don't like plastic at all on a heli.. As much as we pay for these things they should be made of gold or "un-obtain-ium"... Lol.. Tarot has a few pieces that are good, and of course KDE... But those are not immediate necessities so to speak, but good upgrades as u can get them. Check out my picutres in my profile and if u see something I'll let ya kno what I did... But the 450 is awesome.. U need a little room.. Not a 130 space... But u can put this bird up damn near anywhere u want... Indoors even if it's large.. And repairs aren't too bad on the wallet.. Yeah ur gonna love that thing!

Last edited:

Graham Lawrie

You will love the 450 Derek:) When all else fails I always revert back to the 450:)

Most people get nostalgic about them as that's our first serious one:)

Tony

Staff member
This money is going into my bank account to pay for either a car payment, or my mortgage payment since I'm now unemployed.

Derek

So, I just got off the phone with Tony. He'll be taking my "new to me" Trex 450 to the post office today. Hopefully the postman knows how badly I want this package and he gets it here by the weekend.

Ken Jackson

Use the 450mx... Works good and won't break the bank, the align ESC isn't bad so long as u don't use the gov mode... I have debated on a cc edge 50.. Align ESC is fine.. Servos.. Honestly I didn't like the stock align servos at all.. They got the twitch.. Not a buzz as normal.. They would bounce and twitch... So I replaced them.. New ones did the same thing... So I opted for mks 92a+.. Cheaper than the 95s but I think just as good, and the 95i for the tail.. Mks isn't just hype... They are awesome! I've crashed the heli once since I've had them and they survived.. Soo servos.. I suggest the mks.. That's the only neg I can say about the 450, servos... Everything else seems solid to me... I did mod all the plastic I could as I don't like plastic at all on a heli.. As much as we pay for these things they should be made of gold or "un-obtain-ium"... Lol.. Tarot has a few pieces that are good, and of course KDE... But those are not immediate necessities so to speak, but good upgrades as u can get them. Check out my picutres in my profile and if u see something I'll let ya kno what I did... But the 450 is awesome.. U need a little room.. Not a 130 space... But u can put this bird up damn near anywhere u want... Indoors even if it's large.. And repairs aren't too bad on the wallet.. Yeah ur gonna love that thing!

Look for deals on the Align ESC, I found one brand new in the plastic case for $19.90 plus $2.99 shipping. All of the connectors were there and nothing had ever been soldered on. Still can't believe I found it, I was one click away from paying full price at AMainHobbies. Also I went with the 450mx.

ken

heli-maniac

For servos You should Go with the KST DS215MG They are just a tad higher on price but worth it over the Align servos
ANd pick you Up a Yep 40 or 45 a Esc from HK they have them in the us warehouse

Ken Jackson

It was all I could do to get the Align 35amp ESC under the hood, so to speak. Not much room for oversized ESC. May have to mount it on the bottom.

Tony

Staff member
Ken, I have modified this frame to fit the YEP 45a under hte battery tray. Looks ugly as hell, but can't see it with the canopy on.

Tony

Staff member
I have not had an issue with teh Align 35a over heating. But, you fly a lot harder than I do too...

cml001

I bang the piss outta some sticks... Dosent mean I'm doin much.. lol.. But mine has never got hot.. I'll pound 7 battery's back to back.. Wish it would.. Need an excuse to grab a cc edge 50.. But so far a years worth of fly'n and 3 crashes... She's good!

Tony

Staff member
You don't need no 50a ESC on a 450 size heli. 40 is more than big enough for most motors. If they are pulling mor epower than that, then they are very cheap, or for more than a 450 is supposed to do.

cml001

Right, but unless u get a 40 hv... The 50 is the smallest edge ESC.. Unless u use the talon series... And I've read enough to be pretty skeptical of talons.. But that may be specific to the 90... I don't kno.. But when the time comes that's what I'll prolly go with.. The 50

- - - Updated - - -

It's is more than need tho yes.

- - - Updated - - -

The align 35 has been awesome tho!

Top Bottom