450 A New Sport

sterlingh

Crap, I have to go out for a while. I will get back to this later. Thanks for the info I will start on that when I get back. How about the other servos, they centered now?

sterlingh

Remembering that this is a brand-new hobby for me. :) I would have thought that my aileron and my pitch would have moved together, So I would just like to check what I have here.

When I move my throttle, my alieron moves. When I move my right stick, left to right, pitch moves. When I move my right stick up and down my elev moves. Does that sound anything close to correct?

sterlingh

Gold, Thanks Jesse. I swear I looked everywhere but there. Thanks. Now I can get there. Why is it every time I sit down to get back to this everybody wants a piece of me. :)

sterlingh

LOL, good point.

BTW: Tony, your video is so perfect, following it is a breeze and I am actually setting it up like it needs be. The best part is understanding (very slowly) why things are set up the way they are. Good job thanks..!

Hope you and yours are ok in OK..

heli-maniac

hey sterling can you fix your sig that erazor 450 is bad mojoe and once your done with your sport you will not look back at the erazor
and your TX is a DX6I not a dxi6

just busting your balls
wish i was out flying but its to damn hotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!

sterlingh

lol bust away, thanks for the correction on the dxI6, Thats almost like walking around with my shirt on inside out.. I best keep the e razor 450 in my sig as I need as much portfolio as I can get, I can change the color of it to red though!..:pride:

On that Erazor. I used it as the 1st heli on my DX6I. Did not want to mess anything up with my new receiver or DX6I, so i used the ESC of the e razor, and plugged the servo's in it as well. It was all for testing. Was not sure how easy it was to delete it, or mistakes if needed. Now I know of course, but that sure made that e razor worth something to me. LOL Like it was almost worth the money I paid for it. Almost..

Tony

Staff member
Sterling, we are fine for now. The fires just flared back up again and if this cold front blows through (yeah right, High today is 111º and tomorrow is 101º...) it will turn the winds around from the north and that will bring them right at my house. So I may not be on here much. Just trying to play catchup right now.

Tony

Staff member
Ugh, I hate to say it but you are right. 112, 112, 113 the last 3 days and today being 111. 10º drop in temp is going to be nice. But I can't wait until fall when I can open up my windows.

sterlingh

Hello everyone. Feels like I've been gone for ever, even though it's really not been that long. I have for the most part but the helicopter build on the side while I take care of other business. I have been in the residential and commercial air-conditioning business for a few decades. Retired from it a couple years back. However I still do it a little, mostly for friends, or friends of friends. I have some people who know and trust me for a long time, it's hard to say no to them when they call. It finally got very hot here in Dallas Texas, and I've been doing nothing but running. When I have had time to work on my helicopter, I've been just too dog butt tired. However that does not mean I haven't been able to do some work on it, and have been enjoying it a great deal. I've run across a couple of things I would like to see if I can get some help on.

One is going to be the pinion gear, even though earlier in this thread I asked about it.

The second is my main gear, which you can see in the video moves slightly up and down when I right stick up and down. I had too much play in the main gear, took it back out and installed both shims that came with it. The play is gone but the movement of the gear is not. I know when my pinion gear is correctly installed, that could possibly stop this but I'm not sure. Earlier I had my servos centered, but I pulled the main gear out, along with the main shaft, had to remove one servo just to get my pinion gear out etc. however please feel free to point out any major problem you might see.

The other issue I have is the pinion gear. On page 7 of this thread Matthias says that I should have a hole or a groove on the shaft and to ensure I lined that up properly. However I had looked at the shaft, even under a magnifying glass and have seen nothing of a group or a line or a hole or any indication where to lock down the pinion gear. I worry about this, as where I did have it, was almost impossible to move the gear by hand, the main gear that is. I could move my flybar easily in a clock wise position. Not sure hot to deal with this. My manual does not seem to be of much help.

Well 30 min. ago I'll be darned if I did not get another call. I have to go meet another friend at 430 my time. Pretty sure that will be a condenser change out. Please understand I'm not complaining, the money's good, but it is hot and I'm getting too old for this.. lol anyway any help would be great. I probably won't be allowed to look at this until later this evening but as usual thanks a lot.

[video=youtube_share;myJmiUSDFO8]http://youtu.be/myJmiUSDFO8[/video]

murankar

Staff member
Then there may not be one. I thought Align would have put one since it gives more surface for the grub screw to grab to. I have three motors here two have grooves and one does not. Since yours does not just make sure it is snug. Do not over tighten because you could strip the grub screw. I found out the hard way.

stokke

Hey, Sterling. Good to see you've not given up.

Regarding the notch Matthias is referring to; my shaft did NOT have have this. Just set the pinion gear in place, then tighten - remember TL.

Regarding the problem with shaft play; What you're having there is NOT correct. Please see my diagram, and make sure your set-up is correct. I'm sure you've mounted something wrong, or put the shims in wrong. Also check that you've put in the shaft the correct way (not upside down).

shaft_shims_bearings.jpg

sterlingh

Ok
I tried installing shaft the other way just to see, but same results I got. The shims weren't installed the 1 st time when I discovered this problem, but see pic for how I have them in there now. I dunno I will keep messing with it. Guess and hope its something easy but looks to me like I have it like manual says and same as your diagram Marius..

I doubt pics will help but I dont know what else to do for the moment.

Justmaingear.jpgShaft.jpgShims.jpg

Thanks

Justmaingear.jpg

Shaft.jpg

Shims.jpg

Tony

Staff member
When installing the main shaft, the Align logo should be on the bottom where the main gear is. You may have to loosen the main bearing blocks and spread them apart to take up the slack. I know I had to squeeze mine together on the Pro that I had. But you should have NO play in the main shaft up and down and it should still turn freely when spun with your hand.

sterlingh

Thanks Tony,

I think Marius probably called it right along with you. I think now (I am just tired) I only thought I turned it (shaft) upside down. After you (Tony) said the Align logo needs to be at the bottom I looked at the shaft again and I had the logo on the upside. I have to put in another Ac unit in the morning and not sure with other things I have to do that I will be able to get back to this until Sunday or maybe even Monday. Crap! Oh well Its going to slow for me here real soon. It has to no? Thanks gentlemen I let you know how it worked out.

Tony

Staff member
Well we had a high of 95 today. Just a few hours ago we were 20º cooler than we were at that time last week. Talk about a change lol. Almost need a coat.

Top Bottom