450 A New Sport

sterlingh

I must be mis-understanding you. I mean coming through the main gear at the bottom just a little , at least enough to see it, and still able to put my shaft bolt through it. That's been the whole point all along. I just missing the mark. Its up in there and very close to making it out. please see pic.

Well I thought I would be free by now as stated earlier. Not a chance. I am snowed under for a day and a half for sure. I cant believe I get this much business when I am not even looking for it. Dont mind the money of course, but dang, i want to get this bird going... Anyway I keep checking here and are so grateful for all the help.

Shaftnotthru1.jpg

Shaftnotthru1.jpg

sterlingh

Wow just a quick word as I am just getting home. I have been swamped with work and only now, yup only now, looking at my computer since ummm when ever I was last on here. Its been unreal but I am all done for now. That being said I cant tell how much the comments are welcomed and funny thing is I have had my bolt installed I do believe, and cant wait to get back to work on this..... Thanks more than you know.

Will keep you updated....

Lee

Wow 7 pages since i last looked on here. Sterling, it must be getting close to finished by now. Hope you're enjoying the build. :)

sterlingh

Cobieg, that was the problem I had when this all started. I had some up and down play after I was trying to set up servos. My main gear would go up and down with my throttle up and down movement. I thought that when my motor gear was tightened down that this would stop but people were saying this was not right. I had my shaft upside down as well. So I am hoping that when I put it back like it was that this no longer will be an issue. Thanks for the "happy building" as it is at that.

I have to say I am surprised at what has been going on with me since I bought this kit. I have had actively for a couple few years now A small web design and hosting company. I been doing this for years, but my residential A/C business kept me from going any further. I sold that business a couple of years ago and still have to do some warranty and "friends " work. Usually this is not much but, LOL, soon as I bought this kit it seems like I have been out of my house almost all the time. Go figure. I said last week this would slow and I will not jinx myself like that again. I will say this week I am hoping to get back to like it was, and then I will be able to build build build.. Yeppie!

Thanks Lee, It could be close to complete. Soon as I get back on it that is. Until I found out the shaft had unacceptable play, and the shaft was upside down, I was enjoying more than I can say. Getting pulled off was and is a drag, but fingers crossed I will be flying on the build, then flying the build soon..

sterlingh

Man very sorry for not updating. I been so busy I had decided to postpone the build until i got a real break. I have limited my hobby practicing to the Phoenix sim when I get home. I checked this thread and saw the posts. I checked this thread because today I am resuming the build and re-looking at everything to make sure i am on the right path.

As it turns out I checked this thread to see about the grub screw and how it was suggested to thread lock it. Seemed like there was something to it.

So then to update:
It took all but 3 minutes to put the troubled shaft into place and now I have installed shaft (lol bolt going thr) and no play at all. The reason it took 3 min. instead of one & a half, is because I did not install the shims. Honestly, I did not think I would need them. However sure enough, after I got it installed, I had play, just about the same amount as 2 shims.. awww but of course you say. So I took the bolt out, installed the shims and now it seems to be perfect. Prior to the problem I had with the shaft, (I had it installed upside down, inside out, with play) I had already centered my servos. I am now installing my pinion. Then I will be back on with the rest of the build.Thanks for asking and I am very happy to be able to start up again..

sterlingh

Well I sure hope nobody was believing I would be posting pictures and documenting my build anywhere near the quality of say Tony, and a build I followed closely while it was happening, Marius S. (user name stokke). As you can see such is not the case. However, life unfortunately has more than just my hobby. Nevertheless I have gotten back on my build amongst a couple of other things, as well, regarding this hobby.

I may start another thread about another helicopter I purchased and why. But for now back to this build. I can put my blades on now, and I believe I have my servos all centered trimmed and looking good as per Tony's video on complete set up, using the DX6I. I hate to admit it, but I had to go through that several times, mainly to understand, and can say I believe I have a much firmer grip on the servos and what they do now. hal a lu ya.

Of course that would mean my receiver is wired up, my tail servo and gyro are also wired up. Tony's video uses a different gyro of course than my sportV2, however I still watched it and looked at another video on my specific gyro. With the manual and the videos I believe I have my tail servo, and gyro set perfectly.

What I will be doing now is placing my receiver, and making my wires pretty. I believe the biggest known concern I have at this time is the tightness or lack thereof my pinion gear on my motor to the main gear. I have done a quick search, and found the paper way, but somehow can't really say that makes me feel confident. I can turn my rotor head, and watch my tail blades turn however that does not move the motor gear. i can move the main gear with my hand and move the pinion gear thus the motor.. Its not really that hard but i have no idea what its suppose to feel like. I did wire up the motor and throttle it up a tad on my table with no blades on. It turned CW, and did not seem to strain, or seem that it is to tight but again I dunno. its the only thing really nagging at me right now. Any feed back would be appreciated..

Thanks

stokke

I'm no expert, and only have my own bird to compare with - and it's been on over 60 flights with no problems.

When stationary (no power connected), main blades manually adjusted to 0 deg, tail blades manually adjusted to 0 deg (don't force the servos if they don't wanna move, then just power it up and do it with the Tx in throttle hold);

Give the feathering shaft spindle a good twist (CW). The blades should now spin freely, and should spin at least one or two turns before stopping. There should not be any noticeable noise, you will hear the one way bearing, but that shouldn't be very loud.

Pick up the bird. Take a grip with one hand on the main gear (not the one way gear). You should be able to turn it ever so slightly from side to side (CCW/CW). There should be a very low clicking sound as the main gear teeth stops in the pinion teeth.

You can turn the main gear (CCW), but you should have to apply some force; as the pinion is also turning. You should turn the main gear one whole rotation (360 deg). The amount of force which is applied - has to be consistent all the 360 deg.

You can also hold the bird up in the air, and look at the alignment of gears (pinion-one way gear-tail gear) when spinning the blades CW. There should not be any wobble in gears, and the gears should line up horizontally to each other.

Hope this makes any sense!
Good to see you've not given up :D

sterlingh

Ok thank both Tony and Maruis.. Well I must have it because its doing what all you guys are talking about here. I am going to do all the last checks and may spool her up this weekend. I know its sounds cowardly, but the money and time in this has really got me nervous about flight, lol even spooling it up for that matter. Thanks a lot..

stokke

I know its sounds cowardly, but the money and time in this has really got me nervous about flight, lol even spooling it up for that matter.

LOL. I was just like that when firing up mine for the first time. Heck, I'm still nervous some times when spooling up the first battery! Good luck :)

murankar

Staff member
I was so nervous my first flight that I almost lost some liquid. It was like "white knuckle" driving. It does go away after a short while.

Tony

Staff member
A couple squirts down the leg is okay, but full on wet leg is when you know when to stop hahaha :lmao:

You will do fine as long as it's setup correctly. And with as patiently as you have worked on it, I'm sure it is. Just double and triple check all of your pitch settings and swash links and such and you will do just fine. And remember, Training gear will save it in a panic.

Top Bottom