450 A New Sport

Lee

Same tool kit as mine. $24 don't remember the shipping as I bought lots of other stuff.

sterlingh

Anyone know what this tube rod is for? I can not find it in the manual. It was in with the tail boom stuff and is a black tube about 298 mm long, and about 2.7 mm round.Looks like it goes on top of the tail boom maybe but if so why? Thanks

Dont know what those two little white ball looking things are but its not part of.

Tuberod.jpg

Tuberod.jpg

Lee

Its use as a sheath to cover the tail control rod. But i don't know anybody that bothers to put it on. I have a box full of them that i use on my airplanes.

sterlingh

I will post a couple of pics tomorrow on my progress with my heli. I would like to ask a question. Remembering the trouble I had with my E-razor and the main gear and the one way bearing, I was wondering why my new main gear for my sport, out of the bag, allows the main gear and the rotation gear to spin freely either direction, either gear. With my E- razor this was not the case. Is this correct for my main gear on my new sport? Probably is but I thought I would check. Maybe I am main gear shy now as a result of all that trouble..

Also ordered yesterday my new charger "Sky Charger B6AC 6-in-1 DUAL POWER Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Cell Lipo/Lilo/LiFePo4 + 1-15 Cell Nimh/NiCD w/ USB PC Charging/Monitor Software." lol wanted to list its complete name. Bought some deans connectors today as well.. All is moving along, even though i keep getting pulled into other "non hobby" related tasks. :)

Thanks again for all the help!

Tony

Staff member
once you put a bold through the autorotation gear and the sleeve, it will spin both directions. Once it's bolted on, it should lock one way and free spin the other.

sterlingh

Thanks for the info about the main gear and rotation. BTW: that's exactly the way it worked out once installed. :)

Okay, moving right along. It's been a little slow on my maingear, but I think I have it now. Looking at Tony's video on the ALIGN 450 PRO V2 3GX BUILD, leads me to believe I'm going about this the hard way. However, they are two different helicopters so I have gone completely by the instructions, and what I think was in order.

Only now, is it calling for my servo installation. So I hope I'm not going to have a big wire mess or a lot of trouble installing them. I guess it won't really matter if I had to be undoing stuff, I'm still enjoying this a great deal. I will be making a trip to the LHS, before I even think about flying this bird, even to spool it up I should say. There are a couple of screws I know are incorrect. The tail rotor blade and a couple of other places I got the wrong screws in, but I cannot find the correct ones. I did not want that to hold me up so I continued on. I have made a list, and I don't think it's detrimental to the build, just one of them things I know I need to fix.

I have some deans connectors I think I will start soldering, while I wait for my new charger. It should be here Thursday. I have two batteries to convert to deans connectors, and the new ESC. ESC? Maybe it's called the BEC? I know the ESC is an acronym for electronic speed controller. It looks like a my manual is called a B EC.. Maybe for brushless? Anywho, going to try some soldering. Have done none of that sense late 70s. No I'm not that old, I am a time traveler.

Can anyone identify what's in the picture? I believe it came in the package with my anti-rotation bracket, I don't actually remember, but I cannot find it in the manual.

As usual thanks a lot for the help!

leftsideview1.jpgOverhead front view1.jpgRightsideview.jpgSideview.jpgNobolt11.jpgWhats this1.jpg

leftsideview1.jpg

Overhead front view1.jpg

Rightsideview.jpg

Sideview.jpg

Nobolt11.jpg

Whats this1.jpg

sterlingh

First of today's question (s) lol, as usual and often said, thanks for the help. A little concerned about my soldering. I totally messed up one female connector soldering to the battery. The second one I must say went pretty well. Nice smooth connection and well-connected. However my concern is this.

The wires on my BEC, are pretty short and my concern is heat. On my second successful solder I could feel the heat coming up that wire. (Pretty hot). I have a wet sponge right next to me and used it soon as I was done. My concern is sensitivity of the BEC, and I worry about too much heat getting to the BEC. Is that a legitimate concern? Are there some steps I should take to prevent too much heat from making it to the BEC?

If it helps, let me explain the way I do it.
First I tin the wire. I do not have to leave the soldering tip on the wire too long to achieve this.
Then I tin the connector
Then I reheat the wire and let the wire soak got some wet solder, I removed the iron and let it cool.
Then I put the wire on top of the connector, and put my iron tip on top of the wire. The wire re- melts, then melts the solder on the connector. I then remove the tip and wait for it to cool. Again that worked pretty good the second time, however I am really worried about heating up the BEC. Any help or comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Lee

I think you're talking about the ESC not BEC right? It will be fine. The ESC isn't going to get that hot in normal use, unless something is severely wrong. I just had the day from hell soldering 4 ESCs to my quadcopter. All the wires were the wrong way round and had to do them all again !!!! Just finished. I need a drink :D

heli-maniac

thats the way i solder my stuff never had a problem with heat hurting the esc
if you can still hold the wire than its not to hot

sterlingh

ok gentlemen thanks,looks like I might be out to do this without much damage.

Lee, man that sounds like a big headache there. That causes me to want to recheck my polarities. lol appreciate the information. While I'm at it if I may, what is the difference between ESC and BEC? I think I'm getting myself a little confused on that. If I'm understanding correctly the ESC controls the amount of juice going to the motor?

If that is right, then what is the BEC?

thanks

sterlingh

Thanks Jesse,

This hobby gets more interesting by the minute, or should I say by the post. I did not know that, especially about a second battery. So you're saying that some helicopters, depending on their ESC having a BEC or not, would be flying with two batteries?. Looks like something I'll have to check into some more. Thanks again.

Lee

BEC stands for Battery Eliminator Circuit. Basically means the ESC is capable of supplying power to the Radio gear, without the need for a separate battery. On bigger helicopters and other systems with high power requirements, its better to power your gear with a separate battery. therefore not relying on the power systems battery to run the RX. Sometime ESCs can die, so having a separate battery means that you will still have control of the aircrafts movement, even though you've lost power to the motor.
On small helis a separate battery is just to heavy and the power requirement are a lot less. So the stress on the internal BEC is less, reducing the chances of a failure.
I do rant on sometimes :D
Hope you understood.

Top Bottom