What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I"m off my feet lmao. Already laying in bed. I get to wake up tomorrow and continue this little process...

murankar

Staff member
Got the final shape and size. It feels good in the hand, which is what matters. I used epoxy to glue up the handle. Next is getting to a final sand, stain and clear coat.

P_20181227_193930_LL.jpg

P_20181227_193941_LL.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Interesting. I would not have went that large. Could look larger in the picture than it is though. And skip the clear, use a food safe stain and mineral oil. Makes for a much nicer finish IMO and you don't have to worry about a piece coming off in food or the handle being too slick because of the clear.

murankar

Staff member
I have boiled linseed oil.

It does look large even in person. It fits my hand the way I hold it. I usually choke up on the blade when i use my knives. So I made it fit my hand at that point.

I need to figure out how to pin the handle.

Tony

Staff member
Making it fit to your hand is the perfect way to do it! Very nice! And that oil is perfect. I also put my thumb and index finger in front of the handle on the blade for balance and control so I know the grip you are using. It's what most chef's use as well. Can't wait to see the finish product. I would work on that gap between the wood and the very front of the tang. That metal looks quite sharp right there.

murankar

Staff member
Calling this done for now. Just need the pins.
Finished with 2 coats of boiled linseed oil. Rubbed in for almost 20 minutes total. I think it looks good for my first re-handle.

P_20181227_214840_LL.jpg

P_20181227_214830_LL.jpg

murankar

Staff member
I screwed up the front. I had it perfect then I went to clean it up with the palm sander. My rubber pad on it is shot and created an uneven sand. Which caused a gap that should not be there.

Thank tony for the complement.

Tony

Staff member
Well, yesterday I finished moving my desk into the new office. My back was not happy about that part... But, once I got it in here I had to figure out what I was going to do about internet into this room. I don't have anything on this side of the house since my daughter uses nothing but wireless. But I need a wired connection to this computer. I decided to break out an old DLink router I have that has DDWRT on it which I have setup to be a client bridge. I plugged it in and it immediately connected which was weird. But it connected to the guest wifi I have running (password protected so Randy, easy buddy hahahaha). So I log into it and set it to my main wifi and start playing around with the 2.4 and 5g settings. It looks like everything is working , but I needed to put a constant test on it where I could see the bandwidth and what it was doing. No better way of doing this than firing up a live stream.

On my personal channel I fired up the stream with OBS, and OBS has a great little feature in the lower right hand corner that shows you your bitrate. Thanks to my crappy internet, I have this set at 1500kb/s which is why the live streams look horrible. New internet coming and I will be raising that up to 1080P/5000kb/s! Anyway, I fire up the live stream and it is going quite well, then 30 seconds later, it died. 10 seconds later, doing great, 30 seconds later, deded... ugh. I remember this issue from the old studio trying to grab the internet from way out there with this thing.

I wasn't going to give up, I know I can get this to work, and I have one more option. Unfortunately it is a 54mbps link only over the G band. Yup, I'm talking about the reliable Linksys WRT54G!!! They don't get much more reliable than this beast! It's old, but it works no matter what. I go out to the garage and grab it, come in here and plug it into the wall, connect the ethernet to it from my computer (the live stream is still going to by the way lol) and boom, doing good for 30 seconds... And then 60, then 90, then 5 minutes, 10 minutes, an hour, two hours, it just kept going and never once lost signal.

So yea, that was my day yesterday (well, the part I'm going to put on here anyway).

RandyDSok

But it connected to the guest wifi I have running (password protected so Randy, easy buddy hahahaha).

It's only my job to mention a possible security issue.... but I have no problem with someone leaving their network open if that is what they really wish to do... :D

RandyDSok

Apparently, Amazon's own in-house carrier service is on something...

... and on top of it isn't it.... LMAO

I fully expected that a new carrier, such as Amazon's, would have growing pains, it's only logical and normal that they won't have everything they need in place for everything to go smoothly. What I didn't expect was that they act as if they have no experience at all, like they didn't hire anyone to operate it that had any shipping experience period.

I always send shipments to my business instead of my house since that is where I'm going to be at. Every shipper that I've dealt with in the past knows that packages need delivered to business's before 5pm ( most try to deliver even sooner ).... every one except Amazon it seems. I had 3 packages coming, two were ETA'd for today and one on Monday. When I checked the tracking this morning, one showed out for delivery and the second was shown as arriving by 9pm .... at a business address no less. I finally got the actual shipping notice ( and out for delivery ) for the second one at 4pm then a short time later.... the one scheduled for Monday was also shown as out for delivery with both being shown to arrive by 9pm also and it seems they actually packaged it together with the other ( the 2nd one ).

When the 1st package actually arrived a little before 5pm, I gave the driver a print out of the other package tracking and asked if he'd tell them to deliver on Monday instead since I close at 5:30pm and they lock the building down at 7pm. I'd have complained to the driver about it but he'd actually mentioned it himself that they should deliver to business's first the last time he'd delivered something to me. It's sad when a driver had better business sense than the management he's working for.

murankar

Staff member
Not all drivers think about business deliveries as we normal folks do.

This delivery folks are nothing more than a bunch of sub contractors trying to make an easy dollar. All they have to do is show up, grab their punch sheet and drive. They are not allowed to deviate from the pre made route. They have no say either. Amazon micro manages the deliveries.

RandyDSok

I wasn't blaming the driver at all... sub contractor or not. I believe most companies ( DHL, FedEx, UPS and USPS at the very least ) control the general route most of the time within reason. Those other companies also deliver to business's first and residential customers later in most cases per the drivers I've talked to. I place all of the blame on Amazon, they need to get it together or they risk loosing business from businesses if they don't.

murankar

Staff member
I do blame the drives some. They should have some sense about there jobs. They should know if they have business vs residential drops at the very least. That way they can have their routes adjusted if needed.

I could rant on this really hard but we don't talk that talk here.

RandyDSok

As Amazon Shipping Turns... :dizzy:

Despite clear instructions in my Amazon account settings AND telling them yesterday that we're closed on weekends and to deliver my package on Monday... They sent the package out for delivery again today :facepalm:

I called them directly this time, they've ( once again ) rescheduled it for Monday. :banghead::duh:

Top Bottom