What Did You Do Today???

murankar

Staff member
I have not built a tower in years. It would be fun to build another soon. I miss the new smell of a PC, lol.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I had plans on building one this year, but just couldn't make it happen. I'm looking at a couple grand for a new computer. Maybe next year. If I do, I'm thinking either the Ryzen 2700x or the i9 9900K. They both have the same 8 core 16 thread and I know the i9 has a much better single thread performance, but the i9 is double the price. With that said though, I know I'm going to use this thing for at least 5 years so I'm kind of pointing towards the i9. But Ryzen is making huge moves and is getting closer and closer to the i series from Intel. Hard choice. Until you factor in the fact that Ryzen only works with some RAM. Hm.....

RandyDSok

The RAM support on AMD Ryzen has changed recently, mostly because of BIOS updates increasing support for even more types. So that will be less of an issue as time progresses.

While I seldom suggest waiting for new technology, if someone isn't in a hurry they should at least look at what's coming. CPU's.... In the next year ( or two ) there will be some big things coming from both AMD and Intel. AMD will be incorporating the 7nm tech in with the 12nm on Ryzen and Intel will start releasing their 10nm CPU's before much longer. GPU's... will be much the same with AMD prepping for a Navi release at some point using 7nm tech and Intel talking about their new stuff also.

This year, MSI has been showing up both Asus and Gigabyte as long as you are in the mid to high end motherboards. The biggest issue with the MB's are in the VRM area. I'm uncertain who/which is doing the best on graphics cards.

Tony

Staff member
That is good news about the RAM, I had not heard about a new BIOS update for Ryzen, so that is great. As for waiting for a chip, if it is not out when I'm ready, I guess I will be missing the boat again lol.

RandyDSok

As for waiting for a chip, if it is not out when I'm ready, I guess I will be missing the boat again lol.

I completely agree... I'd even add that I'd want to see a new tech to actually have the driver bugs/issues worked out before jumping on that ship.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, especially if it is something completely new like Ryzen was when it was released. MAJOR issues with that one for the first year, but now though, they are starting to do really well.

murankar

Staff member
Let the pioneers take the arrows so to speak.

In like to use the current stuff. Its been tested and tried. I don't do heavy stuff that need bleeding edge . The mist ill do is some skyrim and 3D modeling . The 3D stuff is very basic. I am just playing around with it.

Oh and VMs. I love working with VMs. I need lots and lots of ram and hard drive space. I really would like to build a hyper visor based VM based on arch linux.

Tony

Staff member
Been doing a little reading up on the new Ryzen 3000 chips. IMO, this sounds a little too good to be true at the moment. Yes, 7nm is a huge leap forward, but is it going to give us i9 power and speed for only $250? I guess we will find out in a month. The core/thread count and speeds attached to them with the rated TDP they are stating, I'm just not seeing it right now. Again though, we will just have to wait a month and see.

RandyDSok

I'm not buying into the Ryzen Gen 3 rumors, too many things just don't add up for any credence to be given to them at this time.

1. Typically when a new product is about to be released, AMD and Intel both will schedule a hardware meeting with the media to happen before a major public release. CES ( the next big tech exhibition that is coming ) is happening in January and no hardware meeting was scheduled so it's unlikely that anything new to be released will be announced.

2. AMD did recently announce their Epyc Server class CPU's that will soon be released, so something concerning that is likely. Many of the supposed spec's being talking about in the rumors are using the spec's that AMD releaased about the Epyc CPU's...

I wouldn't be surprised if AMD does announce their plans and general specs for the next generation of Ryzen CPU's. I just don't expect it to be a release announcement, only a heads up one at best.

Tony

Staff member
In one month, we will know for sure. I do find it funny that it is all over youtube because one person was able to get the "RTX 20xx" correct before anyone else knew, and it is that persons predictions that everyone is copying. So one person got one thing right in the past, and now people are taking what he is saying as "pretty much what is going to happen". Again, in a month, we will all know for sure. Almost makes me want to go to Vegas lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and Randy, PUT YOUR AVATAR BACK ON YOUR PROFILE!!!! I keep having to actually read your name, and that gives me a headache. You know I'm not good at reading. You know what I am good at? Pictures!!! :D

Tony

Staff member
Made my best ever smoked turkey yesterday. This thing was so juicy you would almost drown when you took a bite! The ham, good as well, but it came pre-cooked and I just touched it with a little smoke. I"m proud of that turkey lol. Going to have to do another one very soon!

Today however, is moving day. That's right, I'm moving. I have to pack up all of my stuff and get it moved into my new office/studio. Wouldn't be so bad if my back was not killing me today. Anyone that has been on here for more than a year knows I had a pretty bad back injury in Feb earlier this year. Put me down for weeks. Well, my back now tells me when it is getting close to that time and when I should back off. It's almost at that point right now after yesterday. But I have to get back into the swing of things and start getting new videos out to you all. So, we move into the new office today. Not sure if I'm going to get it completed today since it is raining and I have to run ethernet to that room, but I'm going to try lol.

So as I was writing this, something pretty cool just happened. Today is Wednesday which is trash day for me. Because we ran out butts into the ground yesterday, we completely forgot to take the trash down to the end of the driveway. This has never happened before, but that trash guy backed that truck up into my driveway and grabbed my trash can that was still against my house. They have never done this before. If it ain't by the road, they just move on. So that was pretty cool. I sat here and watched them on the cameras the whole time lol.

murankar

Staff member
Lost a knife on Monday

51044.jpeg

Had a small piece of oak so I started to fix the knife.

P_20181226_200135_LL.jpg
Hopefully I don't jack this project up. No more oak laying around.

Tony

Staff member
The question is, how did you lose the knife? The blade is too silver for the "1000º Knife Challenge" lmao.

Just take your time with the sand paper and it will turn out great. I saw the first image and I was like, just put a new handle on it, it's a full tang so should be no issue.

bigone5500

@Tony Get yourself one of those TENS machines. I have one and it works wonders. I got mine at walmart for around $35. The pads are a gel like adhesive and last a long time. It's not very powerful like the ones at the chiropractor but you can turn it all the way up and watch TV while it does it's thing.

Tony

Staff member
I do have a heating pad, but It's rather large. I may get one that is more focused since my pain in only in my lower back.

I did do some cleaning and moving today into the new studio. I didn't get a lot done, but I got enough done to know I did some heavy lifting lol. I did get the banner up on the wall, but it is no way in its final position. I just needed to get the wrinkles stretched out of it. I think I'm going to flip it around though. Since I'm not in the garage where it was designed to hang, the logo is quite low. I may take it down all together and put up just a solid piece of fabric or just paint the wall (I like the look of fabric better on video, no reflections).

In the picture below, you can see part of my desk is in there as well. I never knew how much stuff I had on that desk. Man, If I have to do this again... Yea, that's not going to happen lmao. I'm feeling this one.

Sorry about the glare from the light above, I still need to upgrade the lighting in that room to make it a little more video/picture friendly.

OH, and @rcmaniac, if you look in that far corner, I think you will know what is inside there :D

IMG_1243.JPG

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Someone set the knife on a hot pan of ham over a burner that was on. The tang is a little bit warpped. I just sharpend up a 1/2 and a 3/4 inch chisel.

Next is to shape the handle and epoxy it in place. To finish it I need to fund 2 pins.

Here is how it sits for the night.

P_20181226_212750_LL.jpg

RandyDSok

Tony, a TENS unit is not related to a heating pad in any way. TENS is short for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. They use electrical pulses at various frequencies and strengths between the pads that you stick to the areas you want affected. Your muscles between the areas where the pads are placed, will involuntarily constrict at the frequency that the unit is set to.

They can block pain by interfering with the pain signals that nerves sends out. You must read the manual ( or watch vids ) and follow the instructions to get the best results. I would assume if used incorrectly, it could also worsen the results as well.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, I thought it was a heating pad lmao. In that case, I will never get one, not for my back. Contracting muscles is what is causing the pain (slipped disk pushing on the nerve) so I don't want it to keep moving the disk out of place causing more pain. I have a lot of pain, but not as much as my buddy who has pain all the way into his leg thanks to the sciatic nerve.

murankar

Staff member
I have sciatic nerve issues myself. My left leg can cramp out of no where. Today I noticed a burning sensation in my left thigh. Its odd for sure. I may have to schedule an appointment with the VA and see what's up.

TENS units can be used simular to acupuncture; If you know what locations to stimulate. Usually with acupuncture your not going for the inflamed area, you want an area that's going to affect the bad spot indirectly.

Anyhow get off your feet and cycle the heat pad.

Top Bottom