What Did You Do Today???

Admiral

Today's forecast for south east Australia 47 °C or 116.6 °F, glad I'm up north where the effect of a cyclone is keeping us down to a mild 29 °C or about 82.5 °F but with rain overnight humidity will probably get up over 80% today making it very sticky. Its amazing when I think of what you guy's are getting at the moment not sure which I'd rather have.

Tony

Staff member
I think I would rather have what you are getting because that means storms where I live. Now the 47ºc crap, you can keep that, and I wish someone would take what we are getting lmao. This storm is not over yet that we are getting, the low pressure system is right on top of us and just swirling away. Tonight could get interesting...

bigone5500

I spent about an hour trying to restore my old RC car. I bet this thing is 30 years old. Or close to it. I think it was the first 'full function' RC car I had. It operates at 49 MHz and uses 6 AA batteries in the car with a 9v in the Tx. I cleaned up the front end getting all the dirt from yester-years out. Steering now works as intended but the major problem is in the motor and transmission, yes, transmission. It has a switchable 2 speed transmission. The problem with that is the rear wheels were press fit and are non-removable. The motor really needs to be replaced as there is a lot of squealing coming from it. I can sorta remove the motor from the housing but not far enough to get a swab with grease in there. The car will run but it is very slow compared to when it was new. If it were one of those forward/reverse-steer crap cars I probably would have trashed it many years ago. But I'll keep this one and proudly display it on a shelf. If memory serves me correctly, I got this from my mother one Christmas. My dad got one also for some reason the same Christmas. I don't know where it went but he never ran it outside and rarely did anything with it. Sure would like to know.

20190103_170430.jpg

Tony

Staff member
If you want to get it running again, send it to me and I will see what I can do, pressed wheels and all. As long as the brushes are not completely gone in that thing, I can get the motor running again and get it going. Would make for a nice little vintage rebuild, something that I have been looking at getting into here lately.

Tony

Staff member
I hate this weather. But it gives me good reason to make more cold weather comfort food. Night before last I made that massive pot of chili. We will be eating on that for a while. Last night though, we made the same size pot of ham & beans! Smoked ham from xmas, bone and all! With ham & beans though, it reduces down so you only get a half pot when done. But man was that stuff good!!!

That brings up a good question, what is your favorite cold weather food? Mine has to be chili, although ham & beans is right there with it...

bigone5500

No, you're ok. If you have chili in the house then you're fine. As long as said pot-of-goodness is in your possession there is nothing they can do.

leedude1

Im a stew fan for the cold weather food my man, I can hammer down a few bowls easy. I think its the Hungarian blood, and the old school recipes I stole from mom . LOL Hard to beat.

Tony

Staff member
Ah yea, vegetable beef stew is the first to come to mind. Large chunks of steak and potatoes and lots of veggies in an awesome sauce. Yup, I want stew now lmao.

bigone5500

Beef stew absolutely HAS to have thick gravy (or whatever it's called). The stuff in cans at the grocery store are crap. Dinty moore is ok but you'll pour it in the toilet for some good home made stew.

bigone5500

I actually went fishing today! Was very relaxing until I had to paddle back. I really need to get my motor running. I'd like a good trolling motor but my boat is only 12' so space is a premium if you have two people on board.

leedude1

What hp was your motor? I used to troll and run a 9.9 (unkillable envinrude) on boats up to 14 feet and eventually get things into plane if the person was sitting in the front... and beat the hell out rowing. Easily serving both purposes...
Your motor fix will more than likely be less than the out lay for a new trolling motor and batteries etc.. I priced some out at one time and they can be up there, I was rather surprised.

murankar

Staff member
Last few days have been really crap but very good also. My laptop updated and the xserver crashed. Managed to save my data this time onto an external drive. I was finally given a reason to go back to Arch Linux. I am now running Arch that is actually Manjaro. Manjaro is a live and automated install version of Arch. I got the mate desktop which is a continuation of Gnome2. Did not have much to do after installing in the way of configuring hardware. The Installer did all the grunt work after the install prompts. Now I am just decorating and getting the look and feel I want.

My lizard habitat is coming along. I just got the third and final coat of poly applied, applied silicone into all the corner joints. Bought 2 plants for inside, got organic dirt for the substrait, a pond insert from Lowe's for the water feature. Externally everything is done expect sanding and gloss poly. Electrically I still have to get to 18inch T8 florescent tube fixtures and another heat source to help get the temps up into the mid 80's to lower 90's. I need 2 single tube fixtures because I need 2 different UV bulbs, one for plants and one for the lizard. I still have 8 flower pots to get for the walls, plumb my misting system and work out a way for the waterfall that we want. Lastly I need sticks, vines and rope for climbing stuff. The Lizard is armorial and need those things to be happy.

Tony

Staff member
Doing a little server work today. I went into the server yesterday and saw the disk usage was a little high so I had Ken run a little command and found some directories were a little large for my little HDD that I have on the server and were being included in the backups that we do every day of the files on the server. So I'm putting all of those into a zip file and downloading them to store here locally. I'm also thinking about killing a few sites that I have on there, none of my sites other than RCH is doing anything so why keep them...

leedude1

Like I was saying Tony, man even getting signed up at a new club, I just about had to give them a stool sample to ensure I that I wouldn't be trowing it around and just flyin my little corner of the field, and only when I got permission from every one else that was there.
Im exaggerating, but Im guessing there must have some folk that were not to conscious about what they were doing must have put the heeby jeebies on them and probably buzzed a few by mistake... lol.

But man it would friggin wonderful to just jump it the car and have pint or two and chat shop with someone that knew wtf I was talking about lol. OK rant done sir.

Tony

Staff member
Don't "sir" me lmao. I'm just another guy roaming this planet. Nothing special about me.

But yea, that is the way it was at my old field where I used to fly. But I only flew planes there because all of them hated helicopters.

leedude1

The sir is simply force of habit and part of my vocab I call my son sir also. no harm or foul meant.. not like its respect or anything LOL.. but yeah I dont get the heli hate I get at times. it is crazy.

There is a heli fun fly here every 2 years and let me tell you thats a weekend of aaaaaah there is a lord for me :twothumbsup:.

Top Bottom