What Did You Do Today???

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
It’s what I do. Happy to help when I can, especially with this hobby. I don’t know everything, but I’m always glad to see someone take the leap and start flying !
Your right. We as individuals don't know everything but as a group, we can solve almost everything, referring to RC, to help each other out :hump:

Tony

Staff member
Received my new computer cases today. A pair of Corsair 5000D's. One for the desk, and one for the sim rig. I have already removed my system from the old Antec DF-85, a very hated case that I have had since it came out and installed the motherboard, CPU and RAM into the case. I then removed the 850w PSU and the 2070 Super from the sim rig and installed that into the new case for the desk.

As for the Sim Rig computer, it will be getting a minor upgrade soon. Just waiting on FedEx...

Rob Lancaster

And speaking of new computer stuff.
How's this?
Not three minutes after I sent my last entry here, my hard drive failed big time. Just like that, tilt, tilt, tilt!! , gone... LOL!
We decided to have the data recovered from the bad drive and installed onto the new drive. Here's the thing though. I originally had a 1 Tb of memory on the old hard drive. When the guy said he was going to change the hard drive, I assumed he was going to install the same memory capacity drive. Nope I got 250 Gibs instead. However, this new drive is solid state.
Either way, it's good to be back............

Tony

Staff member
Yes, SSD's are much faster than any spinning HDD. And if you go with NVMe M.2, especially if you can get PCIe Gen4 are even faster still. But, that is quite a bit of money, and an SSD will get you close without breaking the bank.

Rob Lancaster

Yes, SSD's are much faster than any spinning HDD. And if you go with NVMe M.2, especially if you can get PCIe Gen4 are even faster still. But, that is quite a bit of money, and an SSD will get you close without breaking the bank.
Excellent!..........

RandyDSok

NVMe M.2 drives.... are just another type of SSD. The only difference in SSD types are the types of interfaces and the available speeds they are capable of. The various PCIe generations also have an added speed advantage with the newer ones being twice the potential throughput of the previous generation. The amount of increase that a user will notice will depend on use case where the Operating System showing a seemingly larger improvement, programs also appear to get a nice boost with file loading typically coming in behind the others and are often not as noticeable. I'm not going to give percentage improvements since user experience is very subjective as is the specific actual OS, program or file loading that is seen.

A typical hard drive with 7200 rpm and using an IDE interface will get at most around 133 Mbps speeds but most are limited to 100 Mbps. The SATA hard drives are capable of getting up to 150 Mbps but are often still using the IDE interface internally so are typically only getting that 100-133 Mbps speed.

The SSD SATA drives have a max of 600 Mbps throughput but typically real life only sees up to around up to 550 Mbps on the higher end models with cheaper models falling somewhere close to the 300 Mbps range although these will vary a lot. Still that would see an 3x-5x ( rounded ) increase in file load times and can seemingly "wake up" an aging computer extending their usable lifespan.

When they introduced PCIe type devices, they added another "layer" of complexity to consider ... PCIe has a certain number of lanes to them up to 16x. These rank from 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x with each doubling the potential throughput. Always remember while there is a potential throughput, there is overhead in that rated amount and realtime throughput will be a bit lower. Since a lot of PCIe drives ( of which NVME is one type ) are rated to use up to the 4x lanes at PCIe Gen3 speeds their max throughput is at 4000 Mbps but the max real throughput on the top end drives of this class is closer to around 3500 Mbps with the remaining be data overhead you won't see even if it's there. A typical PCIe Gen 4 drive will double that potential and real performance at the top end.

Very few users would actually notice much of a difference of a drive rated at say around 2000 Mbps vs one at 3500 Mbps unless they are working with large workloads such as long video files that they need to edit or possible really large CAD or 3D rendering workloads. That means going from a top end PCIe Gen 3 drive to a top end Gen 4 drive, most typical users wouldn't notice the differences much even though they are there and show up in the testing. Since at this time Gen 4 drives will cost around double the cost of an equivalent sized and quality of a PCIe Gen3 drive, its hard to justify the extra spend unless you fall into the category of uses ( large transfers ) that can actually see a benefit that they can actually feel.

The majority of users today will be well served by a PCIe Gen 3 drive rated at around 2100 Mbps read and 1700 Mbps writes. That is the approx speed of the 1 Tb NVMe drive I have currently. Because I'm a data horder ( I have thousands of pictures and hundreds of games )... I chose to use a SATA hard drive for my large storage needs but it's size isn't needed by many. If you can... get a large 1-2 Tb SSD drive of any type for any add larger file storage needs and it should suit most users for years to come. If you do horde files like me, then consider what amount of storage you need now, and at least double that or go 4x that amount so you can fit your future needs and pick the drive that you can afford to get and you should be fine. If you have some needs that are in between... consider adding a 3rd fast SSD for your working files/programs.

RandyDSok

how did you learn all this stuff?

Hi Rob... I know ( or am pretty sure ) that is just a rhetorical complement of sorts... but I see that asked of myself and others a lot and in some cases I think they actually are asking that question and not complementing the person... So for those few that are really asking how to learn something...

First to actually answer the question directly as if it is just about me... It's my job ... literally. I started working for a PC wholesaler back in the mid-late 80's and have owned a PC company since 2001 thru the present. I learned it for the most part out of interest in diagnosing the issues I've come across. Any of the rest of it was just typical rote learning. Personally my specialization, if there is one, is in diagnosing problems in the systems I work with. I'm not an expert in any one area except perhaps pc parts/hardware... but I usually know the basics of how each of the areas should work so I should be able to work out where a problem exists and then be able to research for an answer or ask someone that is more experienced for a possible solution.

Learning, well that's also easy to explain, not always easy to do. Let's exclude the genius' in the world since they seem to be exceptions. The number one way people learn is just rote learning. It's probably how most of us learned our multiplications tables and similar things. We just repeatedly went over the info over and over and over until, one day, we just remembered what we did. The next type I'll call "being a natural" to whatever subject it is we'd be discussing. This is sort of what I did with diagnosing systems and not just PC's, but also telephone lines and cars ( old school, didn't learn the new stuff ) to an extent, I just didn't do those as long so didn't learn as much about them. This is just where we "just get it" on whatever subject we are talking about and learning new stuff about "it" just comes naturally and fairly easy when compared to rote learning. The last is simply a combination of both of the last two, we may be interested in something so we are more driven to learn it by rote even if we aren't completely a natural learner to that subject.

In all of the ways to learn, there also has to be a certain amount of drive and probably more importantly, focus to learn that subject and to stick to it when we come across something we may not be a natural at learning. If a subject is complex and made up of a lot of smaller bits each with their own complexity, we then must choose which interests us the most and focus on that one part before we move onto the next part of interest for us. If we loose focus, then we jump from subject to subject and will likely never learn anything or at least it would take "forever" to learn since we didn't show a little control over ourselves and focus on a single part of the whole at a time.

I know there are a lot of folks with ADHD and have trouble learning because they don't naturally focus on a single subject, instead they jump from subject to subject too easily. If you are one of these, you must learn to first recognize that you have it ( of course ) and then do something about it and not let it control you. It will take more work since there may be a tendency to jump to another subject but take the time to recognize that it happened and get back on the topic at hand. These people will have to put in added effort to control it ( ADHD ) instead of letting it control them and there is no easy answer for that. In fact, if anyone has some type of learning disability, it's the same answer ( although not an easy one ), you can't let that issue control you if you have realized it exists and instead take the extra steps to control it instead.

mudbogger

Today was my day off from work, so I was able to get things ready for a local fly-in event coming up. After doing some sorting, I received a package from Redwing RC a couple days ago, and opening that up really felt like Christmas in July! All of the parts I ordered came exceptionally fast, and were packaged nicely. I’m still waiting on the airplane I ordered from them though. I keep trying to track the package, but there haven’t been any updates yet. I do not believe this to be Redwing RCs fault though, because they sent me all of the shipping / payment info with tracking numbers for my order. It appears everything has shipped from what I can tell. So maybe it’ll be here tomorrow? The estimated delivery day was set for today though.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I guess today is Amazon prime deals end today and the wife ordered me XBox S series to replace my XBox one console that they don't make anymore. Cool deal since it's not my birthday or holiday. Can't be because I'm a good boy, 59yrs because that won't happen Lmao. Maybe a peace offering for our next family discussion :).

RandyDSok

Anyone looking for a new GPU should check them out now. Yesterday the prices finally fell below MSRP and are now 40-60% lower than what they were back in March.

The crypto crash is probably the biggest reason since they are now selling off GPU's instead of buying them. The computer industry as a whole is down slightly as well adding to the lower demand. The other part that is factoring into this dramatic drop in price is both AMD and nVidia are gearing up to release their new model GPU's between now and the end of the year so they want to get through as much current stock as they can before that happens.

Rob Lancaster

Thanks Randy...
And yes, I was really asking the question. You know, I agree with your philosophy when it comes to the learning curve. Well said... Even the part about mental difficulties. When it comes to me, I don't know if I have ADHD or Dyslexia or something. I've learned to do many complicated things. But even after I know what I'm doing I have a heck of a time keeping the procedure in order. Another one of my problems is, I like to put tools away LONG before I'm done with them. I can't help myself, I'm a clean kina guy. Then there's the numbers and letters that go all scrambled and stuff. A complete pita. But if I stay with it, (longer than everyone else) ha, and I want to bad enough, I'll getter done.

Hey Tony, good on getting the site back up! See, if that were me, check back in two or three weeks, LOL! Maybe longer..............

Oh hey, that crypto currency stuff is another thing that escapes me. My nephew blows me away with what he knows about the subject. For several years he worked the stock market, so he understands that stuff. To me, I believe in the ole gold standard. I'm also old fashioned, he he hee.... :biglaugh:

Tony

Staff member
You never really know how much you own until you start trying to organize all of it. And this is just for one room, my office lol. Wow there is a lot of stuff in there. From Rc to work, to racing to gaming to 3D printing to just computers in general... It's all in this office. Oh, forgot videography, photography, networking, some aquarium stuff, omg. My trash was just picked up yesterday, and it already needs to be picked up again. So much useless and unneeded stuff in this office.

Top Bottom