What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
Understatement of the year right there lol. I definitely need a larger house. But the bank account says otherwise :lmao:

LooseNut

I had to laugh Tony, I feel your pain! Being a single guy my house is my workshop and really the only rooms that I make off limit is the Kitchen and Bathroom, the rest is fair game. My daughter came to visit this summer and it was a week of mad flurry to make it presentable as a house. Projects in RC/Motor Building/Part designs and prototypes for work/3D printing. Ugh!!!
Now I can't find anything, But it is presentable.

LooseNut

Pretty productive day for me. Started off moving vehicles in the drive so I could lead parking space to my neighbors for a family gathering they were hosting. I can park 15 on the blacktop, so that helped them out.
I spent quite a few hours working out bugs on a new work project until I found a good stopping point where I need to go make parts in the shop.
Took a short nap to clear my mind and picked up where I left of on the AR636 project. Got a short test flight in. Results are posted.
Now I'm having an evening coffee, TV on for background distraction and going through mail/email and social stuff to keep up with family and friends.

Tony

Staff member
The first regular days off after taking a week off go by way too fast. It's like I just worked yesterday and I'm back at work again. Vacation is great, until it's over...

mudbogger

Today was a long day, spent 12 hours at work, and fortunately I’m starting my days off tomorrow…Just in time to begin building my next airplane project . A 20cc YAK-54 Profile plane. It was shipped over from California, and had some dents on the bottom side of the wing unfortunately. But should be fixable with time. Outside of that, I still need to find a motor and get a receiver for it. Everything else should be kinda plug-n-play. Hoping to get it built up in time for the next fly in I’m wanting to attend in October. Sure it sounds far away, but calendars always seem to change faster than we’re ready for.

I realize I mentioned this before, but the plane was ordered from Redwing RC - and I believe it’s technically a Aerobeez model? Anyways, if anyone is interested there’s still some in stock on Redwing’s website. As far as shipping goes, yes it did come a little later than anticipated, but everything was packaged nicely. There was tape on everything too, so if you do decide to get one - I’d say be careful as your pulling everything out of the box that that covering doesn’t get hurt while pulling away the tape on misc parts and on the control surfaces.

On another note, if you have questions or concerns about something - don’t hesitate to reach out to Redwing. I ordered Shadow 3 servos with my airplane, and was notified quickly that they were not in stock. So I got the Shadow 4 servos (which are faster servos) sent to me instead, with no problems after that. I also received a Redwing RC team shirt, and some other merchandise I was not expecting with my order. However, it was much appreciated.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Today was day 6 of waking up and having to go outside to do a little percussive maintenance on my well pump switch. This switch has been in stalled since '13 when we purchased this house, so I think I got my money out of it.

With the amount of carbon tracking that I'm seeing on this switch, This makes me want to replace it every 1-2 years. It's only about $60 I think (had this for a while lol) so it's cheap maintenance. I say this because back in '08 or '09 the well pump switch at my old house caught on fire almost burning down my garage. Yea, $60/yr is worth it. I pay more than that for iRacing lol.

And back in February 2021, the USA was hit by a cold black that took us below zero (that is freedom units BTW) and I think it may have damaged my pressure gauge... What do you think? You think I got my money out of the switch and the gauge? :lmao:

20220722_145953.jpg

20220722_150013.jpg

20220722_152248-2.jpg

Tony

Staff member
In looking at the switch, I think the left side (red wires) were contacting way before the black wires on the right (220v setup) causing a very high load on that left switch. This load caused arching which as you can see, basically destroyed the pads. The top view does not do it justice. Let me see if I can get a side view...

20220722_154954.jpg20220722_154944.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Just have to say, I'm absolutely loving the S22 Ultra and the pictures it can take. My last phone was an iPhone 6S+ and it was good, for it's time... This S22U IMO is amazing!

Tony

Staff member
Lol. If I had known those pads were that bad, I would have replaced this a long time ago. But with this being under my house, and with my bad back, I just didn't want to crawl under there to replace this thing. I think this winter, it's time to build a proper well house and get this stuff out from under my house. Not only will it be so much easier to work on, it will remove all possibilities of my pipes freezing up in the winter unless we lose power. And even then, I have a generator. The carb for it is sitting on my desk right now... don't ask lol

Rob Lancaster

In looking at the switch, I think the left side (red wires) were contacting way before the black wires on the right (220v setup) causing a very high load on that left switch. This load caused arching which as you can see, basically destroyed the pads. The top view does not do it justice. Let me see if I can get a side view...

View attachment 24296View attachment 24297

Tony, it looks like the black leg of your pump motor is pulling too much current through that side of the switch. Check the motor windings for a shorted-out section. Use your volt-Ohm meter. If the black side of the pump shows really low and the red side was higher, replace the pump.
Let me know what you find......... Oh and the pressure gauge; it's a fishing weight now.

Tony

Staff member
Pump is fine, for now. It's too hot out there to go check lol. When the pump fails, I will just tap in to my grandmothers water and call the well guys to come pull it. I pulled it once and F that, I won't do it again. Bad back with a 340' well, not a good combo. The well company has a fantastic little machine to pull the pump that requires almost no manual labor.

mudbogger

Well I pulled the trigger…

Recently purchased a 2.1m (84-ish inch wing span) Carbon Cub SS and got to do some flying with it yesterday. Managed to get 2 flights in before it got too dark. And I have to say, it is a great flying plane. It’s a little pricey for a foamie, but compared to other options on the market, for a Cub that size it’s hard to beat. 6s power with a bl-50 motor, and I believe it has a 60 amp esc. I’ve heard of some pilots converting it to a power 60e motor and running a castle talon 90 esc, but I don’t think the airplane needs it. Especially when the flaps come down - It climbs vertical effortlessly!

With that said, I should also mention some noticed damage when unboxing the plane. Both wings had damage to them from the get go, and I believe one of the wings was also molded wrong because it has a twist / bend to it that really makes no sense. The ailerons do not line up properly, and when the flaps go to full-deflection, they’re not at the same point. It’s weird to me as I haven’t experienced it before. The other odd thing was the wheels for the airplane. They’re massive! I realize it’s considered a bush-plane, but I was a little surprised. Thought I’d have to get some inflatable style wheels. Anyways, while I was able to appreciate the large foam wheels it came with, one of the wheels had a defect from when it was molded. The other wheel was fine. Aside from the found damage right out of the box, I was also hoping to see the airplane have navigation lights on board and a “quick-connect” style wing. However, that was not the case at all. It still has 2 servo connectors on each size of the fuselage for flaps / ailerons; and no lights…

On another note, there should be a way to set it up for flaperons and have full-span ailerons should you want them. On top of that, I believe you can also program the airplane for reverse thrust - but I’m still figuring out how to make that happen. I tried to add a photo of the airplane to this post, but got a notice that the file was too large.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, if you can lower the file size would definitely like to see the new bird. I have limited space on this server so can't allow large files unfortunately

Tony

Staff member
That is not a bad looking plane right there! Looks like it will be quite floaty but still maneuverable. Nice! Now we just need video Kappa

LooseNut

Played with the AR636 Heli a little bit, Tinkered with the 450 for my brother, getting ready to wrap it up. Got my goodies from Online metals restocking my shaft making material, 5mm and 8mm diameter. Just in case I need it.
I started laying out a set of Skids for my 450 Pro. I see a lot of the newer Heli's with an angle to them lifting the rear a bit higher. Is there a favored Angle? Or is it just a TLAR thing? I'm going to 3D print them up with the Proto-Pasta CF HTPLA and see how it holds up. I have NylonX CF filament as well to run once I get it sorted out, takes a little tinkering to dial in but it makes some great parts.

LooseNut

Home early today, relative term of course, but the boss wanted to call it early.
I stopped and borrowed a set of Tarot 450 Pro angled upgrade gear to take some measurements. It measured 1.5 degrees. Answers my question. :)

Attachments

• 20220729_195720 a.jpg
    20220729_195720 a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom