Scale Vario Robinson R22

Sweetfrost

Working on the battery-box that sits on the left side frame. The picture shows how the heatshield is mounted - in real its close to the exhaust tubes and need this shield. 2 short pieces of the piano wire (one each side) is making it out for a rod with threading in the ends to secure the lid. And the little square on top is where the + and - signs placed with the 12V indication. I had a problem finding some very small wing nuts so i had to try to make some myself. Used hard plastic tubing and styrene and also a M2 nut to make them - not the prettiest wing nuts but it will do. One its all painted and mounted on the frame it will look okay.

Nade

Sweetfrost, thanks for filling us in on your build. I had similar situations with mine where I had to come up with an idea on how I wanted to install something or make something. That's part of what takes so much time in building these Vario Helis. looking forward to more pictures and the completed look!

trainrider06

Your doing some fine work there Sweetfrost! I used to build 1/24th scale kits of drag cars, and I got so obsessed with detailing them it would sometimes take me 3-4 months to complete one. but there is a certain excitement in being able to craft things from other things or detail the parts to where they look so real on em. Sometimes I'd be building a kit and it would take me a month to figure out how to do something on the model to make it look good enough to my satisfaction. But that was kinda fun when you got it figured and you just used something that was laying around, and it works out perfect!

Sweetfrost

The tailboom is soon finished. I have added most of the rivets and only need to add the long row from front to the end at the bottom of the tailboom. I have used very small plastic rivets from Vario where i cut them with only a tiny part of the rod was left. They fitted perfect in the small holes i have drilled. I did not drill into the carbon-tailboom - only in the styrene otherwise the boom would be weak with all those small holes. the styrene is .5 mm thick so i used a hand-drill and it was easy to feel when i touched the carbon.

Then i added some bigger rivets with the cyringe and glue method on the doublers. It takes some gettin' used to - and a steady hand. But after practicing a lot on a piece of paper the rivets start looking okay. The glue is bonding quite well on the primer thats good. Now and then i made a bad rivet and with a moist paper towel it was easy to remove and just make a new one. So a little more practice and it will be easy to make some nice rivets on the front fuselage. But more about that later on.

I did also mount the housing for the white light under the horizontal tail fin.

Cant wait till i give the boom the final coat of primer.

Nade

Hey Sweetfrost, thanks for the update! Yes, the detailing is looking fantastic! Looks like your application of primer went well, did a nice job! Looking forward to the final finish!

Sweetfrost

Thank you all for the nice comments.

@ Nade - I am trying to come up with an idea to make the little rod under the tailboom to prevent folks to go under the boom near the rotor. I would like to avoid making of wood, id prefer some sort of plastic or aluminium.

@ Trainrider06 - yeah sometimes i have to step away from the project because i have bin staring me blind on something. It helps to take a break - and when returning i can see what to do or what i have done wrong. lol

Today i continued on the riveting stuff and i am soo close to be finished with the boom. I carefully made small deepenings with the drill for the glue to sit in when i put the heads of the rivets on. Its also difficult to cut the heads of clean without remainings of the rivet-shaft (or whatever its called) and thats where the small "holes" come in handy. The boom is made of carbon and its very thin and light - so no drilling thru to weaken it.

Wont be doing anything the next 6 days because of work. But it so happens that my vacation is near and our flyingclub is having a big scale model event. It was awesome last year lost of cool planes, food and beer. There was a guy who flew his jet too low and hit some trees. A huge fireball and the turbine flew like 100 meter up the airfield - you can actually see the turbine mid-air without the airframe on its way. I did not take the photo.

have a nice weekend all :beerchug:

Nade

That's one heck of a shot, the jet coming down in flames Sweetfrost! Gotta feel sorry for the owner of that one.
As far as the rod under the tail boom. Can you elaborate more on what you're trying to do? I see a pipe stretching down from the bottom of the tail blade like the real bird, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Sweetfrost

That's one heck of a shot, the jet coming down in flames Sweetfrost! Gotta feel sorry for the owner of that one.
As far as the rod under the tail boom. Can you elaborate more on what you're trying to do? I see a pipe stretching down from the bottom of the tail blade like the real bird, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Haha sorry Nade. I forgot to post the picture of what i was talking about.

Here it is. As i wrote its to prevent people to get near the rotor if they should be so stupid to go under the boom while the idle. I cant figure out how to exactly to get the shape and what material to use .. not so keen on wood. Under the picture theres a link to an R22 where u can see it more clearly. Its airfoli shaped.

http://www.heliair.com/store/used-robinson-r22-beta-2010/

Sweetfrost

I'm back from almost a month vacation and it sure was needed to get away from that crappy work. Started working on the build. Did a little priming today of the rivets on the boom and used the rest of the primer on the front fuse. Ordered a few cans more of Tamiya (87042) primer. At first glance there is very little sanding to do on the fuselage - i have bin lucky with the first sparteling and sanding - it really looks good. Cant wait to do the details on the body and i found a cheap soft bendable ruler that can follow the contour of the body when drawing the rivet-lines. There's also a white light at the underside that i can install while waiting for the primer to arrive.

Had the little rod on the tailboom 3D printed - it needs a little putty and then some sanding to get a smooth surface. Best of all - i finally got my overpaid tax after 5 months delay.. so now i have:

4 x Savöx SB-2273SG servos for the main rotor.

1 x Savöx SB-2272MG sevo for the tail.

Castle Edge 160A HV ESC with cap-pack.

Servohorns are on the way from the guy in Belgium and connectors from HK. I choose to use Amass AS150 connectors - they are beefy and have antispark.

And i had my second visit to Karup airbase to see the Saab F-35 Draken engine start-up and this time it got clearance to taxi back and forth the taxiways - it was awesome. They did a great job planning this event for we where invited to the airbase helicopter maintenance hangar to see Fennec AS 550 helis being serviced. There is a lot of videos/pictures on Draken Team Karup on Facebook you should have any interest in this - its all in danish sorry.

My local flyingclub was having a flying event and it was super - but the weather was not so good saturday. Shot some pictures for you to see - because there was a super cool P-47 (Moki 250 cc radial) and a 6 meter DG-808 glider with tow plane Piper Pawnee. About the P-47 - what most wont discover is that the main wheels are pushed together to fit in the wheel well just like the real one. Lots of food, beer and flying - fantastic weekend.

So this is what has bin going on since my last post and i hope you enjoy the pictures and thanks for showing interest. My Robinson 22 is slowly progressing and there is a lot of things to think of and no time to get bored. Just hang in there! :biglaugh:

trainrider06

Hey thanks for posting up the updates and those other pix! Really cool stuff, looks like you've been having quite a fun time!
Your heli is gonna be something else! Man that thing is highly detailed!

Tony

Staff member
I dont' even like taking the time to completely polish my car when I wax it to remove the swirl marks. I would go absolutely ape s**t if I had to do all of those rivets by hand lol. Great job and keep the updates coming. Glad to see you back on here.

Admiral

Great post, glad to see the Robinson is coming along, and really enjoyed the other photos especially the P-47, what a great build that is.

Nade

Haha sorry Nade. I forgot to post the picture of what i was talking about.

Here it is. As i wrote its to prevent people to get near the rotor if they should be so stupid to go under the boom while the idle. I cant figure out how to exactly to get the shape and what material to use .. not so keen on wood. Under the picture theres a link to an R22 where u can see it more clearly. Its airfoli shaped.

http://www.heliair.com/store/used-robinson-r22-beta-2010/

Sweetfrost, I must profusely apologizes to you. It's been a long time now that you asked me a question on building a lower guard on the bottom of the boom. Having read your update on the build I realized I didn't follow up with you after providing the updated picture. For that I am very sorry. I don't know how I got side tracked. Have you made any headway on getting that guard made? Do you still need info on material?

Sweetfrost

Sweetfrost, I must profusely apologizes to you. It's been a long time now that you asked me a question on building a lower guard on the bottom of the boom. Having read your update on the build I realized I didn't follow up with you after providing the updated picture. For that I am very sorry. I don't know how I got side tracked. Have you made any headway on getting that guard made? Do you still need info on material?

Hey - no need to apologize. And yes - i had it 3D printed. I got some test-samples and the shape was good but the size was wrong. We found some plans with mesures of the R22 and after some scaling down the guy who has the 3D printer got the size correct - it is on the edge of what his printer can make because of the airfoils trailing edge is so thin - but its neat and i am working on right now.

But i have another question tho ... is it possible to edit my posts if i see something i want to change?

regards

Nade

Hey - no need to apologize. And yes - i had it 3D printed. I got some test-samples and the shape was good but the size was wrong. We found some plans with mesures of the R22 and after some scaling down the guy who has the 3D printer got the size correct - it is on the edge of what his printer can make because of the airfoils trailing edge is so thin - but its neat and i am working on right now.

But i have another question tho ... is it possible to edit my posts if i see something i want to change?

regards

Good, I'm glad you got it solved. Looks like you've got a lot done and looking good! The detail on that bird is amazing. Looking forward to seeing it all assembled and painted.
I've looked into trying to edit my posts but didn't come up with anything that indicated I could. But there's got to be a way to do it. After all if we goof up and don't catch it before submitting it, why not be able to correct it? I haven't checked with Tony but I'm sure he could tell us one way or the other. Keep the updates coming!

KLA

Hey guys, after you post if you need to edit there is a box in the bottom right corner of your post that says "Edit Post." It shows up on your post when your post Is actually posted on the board. Just click on the edit post box and it will pull up your post so you can make any changes that are needed. Just be sure to click the "Save Changes" box after you make the necessary changes, which is at the bottom right corner of the edit box.

Nade

Hey guys, after you post if you need to edit there is a box in the bottom right corner of your post that says "Edit Post." It shows up on your post when your post Is actually posted on the board. Just click on the edit post box and it will pull up your post so you can make any changes that are needed. Just be sure to click the "Save Changes" box after you make the necessary changes, which is at the bottom right corner of the edit box.

Hey thanks Keith! Never noticed it before.

Top Bottom