Scale Vario Robinson R22

Jimbo

Did you have to cut the windows and doors out or were they pre cut? I couldn't tell. How do you apply the rivets, syringe or pre made strips?

Jim

Sweetfrost

Glad you asked Jim.

Everything has to be cut. For instance all the glasing - i use a very sharp scissor to cut the edges of the glassing for front windows and the doors.

But i also had to cut out the holes for the windows and doors in the front fuselage. It not difficult and there is molded a thin groove so you ruffly can see where to cut. So i dremeld out the holes and then by hand filed it down to where i wanted it to be. See the early pictures (page 1) - there is some orange pinstripe-tape (for airbrus-use) that i used around the thin groove. All the dremel-cutting was done outside because you get covered in fine white dust.

The doors came almost finished. There was some excess material (carbonfiber) on the edges that had to be sanded/filed down.

The smart thing when using the tape is it can go around corners without wrinkles - it bends very easy. So i just filed down to the edge of the tape. It takes some time but not difficult at all. The files i use are these cheap ones and all the shapes are used for this project. The triangular one is very good to use in the corners of the window holes - to get those edges sharp and crisp.

Link to files - NØGLEFILESÆT 6 DELE - køb på nettet og få leveret til døren

The pinstripe-tape method was used when cutting all the glassing.

For the rivets i use two methods. Small plastic rivets and the glue/Cyringe method which takes some practice.

I have just ordered a bunch of 2 mm buttonhead (hex) to fasten all the windows.

regards

Jimbo

Thanks for the explanation. Good information there. I would have thought that on one of this kits, they would have been already cut out. I am starting to get the hang of the syringe rivets, but it does take some practice.

I will be following your build with interest.

Jim

Sweetfrost

Working a little on the doors today. Some fingerprints and dust on the windows but its only a test fit. I'm struggling a little with the hinges but i'm gettin' it solved eventually.

Sweetfrost

Heres some shots of todays build where i mounted the front windows on the bird. The bolts have to be trimmed down in length - but now its beginning to look like a R22. Still needs the riveting on the front fuselage and i hope to start on that soon.

Tony

Staff member
That thing looks awesome! And sitting on that table, you can really get a sense of scale that this bird has! Keep up the great work!

Sweetfrost

Friday next week i am ordering (my dad is a huge sponsor of my project) this ultra fine instrument panel for the Robinson R22. The Vario-guy in Belgium has these made and im just stunned by its details. RC Heliservice makes some fine custom build helis and now hes also going to offer jet planes.

Top Bottom