Scale Vario Robinson R22

Sweetfrost

After a break things are slowly progressing on the R22. I've bin flying my other helis and also got 2 new foamies a U Can Fly II and a Skymule and both great fun to fly - just love them. Got a video of the UCanFly on Youtube just click here -=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00m3OuPHHxs. I did crash my Gaui Hurricane 550 heli. I was doing some autos and loops when the elevator arm suddenly snapped and the heli glided like a brick back to mother earth. Many parts broke by canopy only got a minor crack that can be fixed with epoxy. And i also converted the bird to flybarless at the same time - i had a spare 3GX and that have to do for now. Haven't really tested it yet .. still waiting for good weather. Heres a picture of it.

The fuselage is being fitted to the frame and it is a struggle but i'm getting there - the "canopy" is a PITA to take mount and dismount. Soon it will be standing on its own feet. Epoxied the top spar and next step is to make the holes for the front struts and here's pictures of the making so far. I'm a ultra slow builder so please have a good amount of patience. The spars are first tagged with 5 min epoxy and then i use 30 min. epoxy with micro-balloon in it (makes it stronger). Then i use cheap fine paintbrushes to keep the epoxy from floating away - once in a while i use the brush to keep the epoxy in place and it works just great.

Sweetfrost

Did some test fitting of the fuse and frame. A little more work and it would fit just fine. Its might take a while before new uploads since it my turn to go on vaccation - yay!

Sweetfrost

Yesterday a friend invited me to Karup airbase where he (and the rest of the group) is keeping an old f-35 Draken in shape. It is fully functional but does not get airborne anymore. The ejection capabilities of the seats is no longer in use since the cost of keeping the explosive charges in service is far too expensive on a grounded jet. Other than that it is intact. There is some technical and historical info also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YIh2qwCQkA

Sweetfrost

Havent dome much because of all the xmas stuff and so on. But here's the latest pics. Also - i have a friend that has a 3D printer and i asked him if he would make some sort of antenna casing for my Spektrum sats so i dont have to use double sided tape or welcro/zipties to fasten them. Today i received a test sample in blue plastic and it is awesome - it clicks nicely in place with a gentle press and it seems very robust. All i need to do now is give him a call and say i need them i black instead. :arms:
Got some upgrade parts also. New swashplate with swash-follower, new higher dome so the main shaft is supported more and new beefy pushrods and links was needed also. Oh and i got the rotorhead also - it's massive i tell ye' !
Did some primer coating on the tailboom to see where more sanding is needed and soon same work is starting on the main body.
On the left side of the fuselage behind the door there is and air-intake - like a scoop (might be carb intake). Had to think a lot on how to make this. On eBay i ordered measuring spoons so i could cut them to the desired shape. Then i glued it on a piece of styrene. Made a circle around as a flange for screws/rivets. Then cut i out and dremeled the styrene baseplate inside the round shape away. Have made the hole in the fuselage that fits the intake.

Sweetfrost

Just a short post to say that the project is still very much alive - i did say i am a slow builder remember? Currently still sanding. Planning to make a little spray-painting booth by moving out all the things in the "shed". Then cover walls, sealing and floor with plastic to prevent old dust getting on the wet paint. Hope late may is where all the parts are getting the final primer - its still too cold to be painting. I have the motor now, a Kontronik Pyro 700-45L with pinion and the the adapter plate to bolt the motor onto the frame. Fbl. controller is a Bavarian Demon 3X and i'm looking forward to the programming stuff. Hope to get the servos and maybe also the ESC in the beginning of may. The only thing that preventing a first hover this year are the rotorblades - i doubt i can afford them this year but i must have the aluminium ones.. they look sweeeet!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good lord that's is one awesome looking heli you have there Sweetfrost. I bet you cant wait to get that bird in the air for the first time. Good luck on the rest of the build and keep the pictures coming. :)

holtneil

Hi mate it's nice to see it coming along , and I second that on the Sat holder ,I will have 2 in SAB Goblin. Yellow

Smoggie

Yes, nice build! I look forward to seeing it take to the skies.

The sat holders are neat and very clever, but personally I don't see anything wrong with the tried and tested 'bit of double sided tape'? (maybe i'm just lacking imagination) One thing i have started doing on all my sats is putting a blob of epoxy on the back of the connectors where the three wires enter. The wires are quite fragile and there have been many cases of the wires break off where they enter the connector. A blob of epoxy should prevent this, you could use silicon or hot melt to do the same job if you prefer.

Sweetfrost

Yes, nice build! I look forward to seeing it take to the skies.

The sat holders are neat and very clever, but personally I don't see anything wrong with the tried and tested 'bit of double sided tape'? (maybe i'm just lacking imagination) One thing i have started doing on all my sats is putting a blob of epoxy on the back of the connectors where the three wires enter. The wires are quite fragile and there have been many cases of the wires break off where they enter the connector. A blob of epoxy should prevent this, you could use silicon or hot melt to do the same job if you prefer.

I agree with everything you say. I've used foamtape and zipties for years and it never fails. The main reason for using satholders is for looks, the plan is to try to make the inside of the heli to look neat and orderly but also easy to take apart. And as you suggest - a gob of glue on connectors on sat, Rx and gyro is going to be done with a hot-glue gun.

I would like to see rc brands to make some Rx with some sort of a panel/cover so when you have inserted the connectors into the Rx then you can put on the cover that is made to prevent the connectors to come loose. There is already many options for secure wire-extensions so why not make something cool on the Rx side. I know it isnt a big issue and i has never happened to me that a wire came loose but that little extra finesse on some Rx would be kewl. :scratchchin:

Tony

Staff member
You say you are going to clear out the shed and set up a paint booth in there. Why not put a small ceramic heater in there (or any kind of heater that doesn't glow red hot or produce flames) and use that to heat it? Then, you could paint it when ever you wanted and let it sit there and dry for a day or so. Just a thought. Keep the posts coming on this!

Sweetfrost

You say you are going to clear out the shed and set up a paint booth in there. Why not put a small ceramic heater in there (or any kind of heater that doesn't glow red hot or produce flames) and use that to heat it? Then, you could paint it when ever you wanted and let it sit there and dry for a day or so. Just a thought. Keep the posts coming on this!

Great idea. Not started yet to clear the little room in the shed so its spring before its ready to use for painting. An electric oil-radiator is cheap an sufficient is such a little room (about 6 m2.). Thanks.

Tony

Staff member
And the oil heater would have an even lower risk of igniting the fumes. When you get this started, post up a thread. I would like to see what you are doing with it and how you set it up.

Sweetfrost

And the oil heater would have an even lower risk of igniting the fumes. When you get this started, post up a thread. I would like to see what you are doing with it and how you set it up.

Shall do. Right now i'm down with the flu. Most of my vacation is sorta down the drain.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, I just lost two weeks of work because of that crap. It was horrible and I will take allergies any day over that stuff. Hope you get better soon!

Top Bottom