Scale Vario Robinson R22

Sweetfrost

Hello there. In October i received my Vario R22 and man what a joy to unbox - all parts was high quality and carefully wrapped in bubbleplast. Although i i haven't gotten far with the build and thus not encountered any problems yet, i hope i don't violate the policy's of this forum by not asking for help at this time. But since i'm still over-excited :arms: about his project i really need to share a few pics. Hope you like it. God shave the Queen.

Specs :

Length: 182 cm
Height : 80 cm
Veight : 11-12 kg
Rotor diameter : 2,16 m

Its will run on a Kontronik Pyro 700 motor. Spartan VX1 flbl. controller and 12 S setup. Im planning to make it scale (lights, rivets etc.) on the outside but im not planning any cockpit.

Cheers ! :biggrin1:

murankar

Staff member
There is no policy for help father than not asking for it. You what you need to when you need it. Its better to ask the questions and get the job done right than it is to not ask and have to buy a new fuse.

With that said it looks like its going to be a great project. Keep us updated via photos video or ramblings. We love to watch the progress of a build.

Have an idea of his you want it to look by the end?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

holtneil

OMG what a lovely heli kit , I will be following this build with the same excitement you have building it , So is she a 700 class or bigger

Sweetfrost

OMG what a lovely heli kit , I will be following this build with the same excitement you have building it , So is she a 700 class or bigger

I guess its 900 class since it has blades 95 cm long. The mechanics wont arrive until the middle of may so the bird wont be able to stand on its own feet until then. I have 3D printed scale landinglights on the way and the side positioning lights are already waiting to be installed.

I keep posting but it may take a while between the build updates.

thanks

Sweetfrost

There is no policy for help father than not asking for it. You what you need to when you need it. Its better to ask the questions and get the job done right than it is to not ask and have to buy a new fuse.

With that said it looks like its going to be a great project. Keep us updated via photos video or ramblings. We love to watch the progress of a build.

Have an idea of his you want it to look by the end?

I have set my eyes on a yellow and black paint scheme i have seen on youtube - i like it very much, but im still thinking about it. I am not painting the bird, i simply don't have the skills and knowledge so a pro car painter is hired for the job. I have seen some of their custom jobs and its quite nice. However id like to prime it myself because id like to do it in several small steps since there's a lot of sanding to do on the fuselage.

regards

Admiral

Great looking project, hope you can keep us up to date with build photos and finally video of the maiden.

holtneil

Hi mate the best builds take time , it shows at the end , she is a thing of beauty and I will keep an eye on the thread ,OMG 900 I was look at a 800 super scale and thats big , so whats going into the helis mechanics wise ?

Last edited:

Sweetfrost

Hi mate the bast builds take time , it shows at the end , she is a thing of beauty and I will keep an eye on the thread ,OMG 900 I was look at a 800 super scale and thats big , so whats going into the helis mechanics wise ?

As receiver i will be using the Spektrum AR9110. Flybarless controller is going to be the Spartan Vortex VX1 (supports 4 swash servos) and digital HV Savox servos. I choose HV servos so i can use whatever batteries available (LiFe or LiPo).

regards

bbj

thanks for sharing your build and unpacking. It looks like a very fun project your working on. It will be nice watching your progress as you continue building it.

Sweetfrost

thanks for sharing your build and unpacking. It looks like a very fun project your working on. It will be nice watching your progress as you continue building it.

Thank for your interest. I like to point out that this is my first build ever that demands a little skill and patience - i have never build anything like this before only Trex 450, 550 and 600. The R22 has always bin one of my favorite helicopters and for a first-time large scale helicopter i think this is perfect because it can be driven with piston engine or electric motor and i opt for the electric since i know very little about engines. And it does not differ much when compared to my 600 setup ... 12S setup etc. I get good help and advice form another guy that build the same model - in fact i am copying many things he has done with his build to mine - seen his build on Helifreak countless times.

Right now im working on the doors - sanding sanding sanding sanding ... one door finished and heres a picture for comparison. Doors and tailboom are made of carbonfiber and sanding the edges on the doors takes ages .. atom by atom .. sheesh .. nah its quite fun sitting here listening to music (AC/DC thunder struck right now).

regards

Sweetfrost

Today i worked a little more on the doors. I made the small ventilating flaps in each of the doors. So next step is gluing them in place - they wont be operable. And then comes the little slot for the door locking mechanism.

Sweetfrost

Worked a little on the boom and assembled the tail fins. Secured the wires for tail lights with cable ties and a dot of epoxy - they are made permanent in the boom and i used some heavier wires. Now im waiting for the beacon on top of the boom and the rear lamp that sits under the horizontal fin. When they are fitted the whole lot is epoxied into the carbon tail-boom.

The two vertical fins have a little 1 mm gap between them and the horizontal stabilizer so when the extra metal sheeting details and rivets are made it hopefully makes it all look a little more realistic and non-perfect so to speak.

This is the real thing and what im aiming at:

I have several sheets of thin lito/offset plate to make the details on the fuse. And i will try the cyringe- and glue method to make the rivets.

holtneil

OMG That is so cool love it she is going to be a really beautiful Heli are you going the same colours as the real one

Sweetfrost

OMG That is so cool love it she is going to be a really beautiful Heli are you going the same colors as the real one

The original Heli on the pictures is all blue and i'm not going for that - i want at least 2 colors, but here's a few links that has a paint scheme that i like - but i think it's really difficult to make my mind up. Prob. gonna change my mind 100 times. I'm not painting it myself - i have set my eyes on a local auto painter. I've bin told they do very good paintjobs and maybe they can come up with some ideas. I wan to prime it myself tho.

The following are some that i like.

Vario R22 Flybarless 2011-05-08 - YouTube

Now this one i really like - the black around windows and yet a bright color on all sides is good for orientation when flying so both practical and good looking.
Vario Robinson R22 - YouTube

Giant Scale Heli - Robinson R22 - Vario - AMCE Enghien - Paduwat Francis - YouTube

EyeStation

"the black around windows and yet a bright color on all sides is good for orientation when flying so both practical and good looking. "
I can't believe you can have orientation problems with something that big.
I do like the Green and Black.

Helluva Heli, for sure. Keep up the great work and keep feeding us photo trolls here.

holtneil

Hi mate I like the one with the green flash, it looks really striking ,even if you use a different colour the style is really nice

Sweetfrost

The wait is finally over - the mechanics arrived and here's some unboxing pictures and also some pictures of it assembled. Today i worked on the gear mesh and shaft alignment and so on. It may take a while before i post again since all the sanding is taking a lot of time. And i'm still working on the boom and trying to sort the tail lights.

There was the tail gearbox and tail rotor blades in the box also. The tailblades are 16 cm long. The main shaft is 560 mm long and 12 mm in diameter - it's massive.

On top rear end of the frame there's a hook that makes it quite easy to mount the boom if one should choose to take it apart when transporting. The hook grabs and holds the boom without the need of any other support making it easy to insert the bolts - quite clever solution.

Top Bottom