RCH Bipe Beta 1 Now Available For Testing!!!

jimcunderwood

this was a cool build. I have never built a foam board plane. It cam out pretty good and flew nicely. I attached a few picts. oh I added some landing gear and learned a few things along the way. I might rebuild this now that I have practiced a little with it.

20140525_103134.jpg

20140525_103157.jpg

20140525_103206.jpg

20140525_003350.jpg

jimcunderwood

Thanks...

Yep dt 750 from the last quad I built and a 10" sf prop. The electronics I had extras laying around.

The landing gear works well pretty sturdy, even lasted through my initial hard landing (aka crash lol).
I still think I am going to rebuild it and put some color on it and pretty it up a bit.

Thank you good simple design.

- - - Updated - - -

Yea I think so. the only thing I bought for this build. Got it from the local Hobby store for like $5; really sturdy gear ...

Gerald

Added wheels to the bipe!
View attachment 12193

I am still flying it! I have had some crashes, the nose is looking rough! I think some sparing would be in order to stiffen the fuse and what ever you do don't wrap the battery wire behind the center wing support, cuz in the event of a crash landing the wire cuts clean thru it even with tape on it! :) ask me how I know! I did add some bbq skewers to the nose and up the middle of the plane to help support the LG. I have tried 3 different motor and prop set ups I had a rctimer motor that conked out, so I tried a firepower 450 1300KV with a 9x6x6 triple prop, looked cool but wanted to twist the plane behind the prop, so now it has a fire power 370 1000 kv with 8x4 slow prop and that works well. In the picture I have a APC 8x6 but she was heating up the batteries. Oh and speaking of the battery I cut a slot out to hold the battery, that allowed the battery to come forward more, It was tail heavy and prevents the center support from being severed in two:)!

Last edited:

Timerider

I am wondering, of those of you that have built this bipe, has anybody put any down and right thrust in the motor mount? I will be starting the build on this one in a few days, and after reading all the posts, I haven't noticed anybody mention that. My Fancy Foam Ultimate met an untimely demise this past weekend, and I am wanting to scratch build a new bipe. This one looks very promising!

Tony

Staff member
I don't know if anyone has or not. I have not been able to build this plane unfortunately. But, it wouldn't be a bad idea to put about 8º down thust and 4º right thrust in the motor to be safe. Would keep it from climbing under hard acceleration.

Timerider

Thanks Tony. My Ultimate had a stick mount with that built in to it and obviously, I'm not using that here. Or, if the climb is not too bad, why not have a little throttle to elevator mix setup? Once I get this built and flying, I guess this will be answered straight up. I have looked over the plans fairly well and am thinking about a couple of slight changes just to satisfy my curiosity. Really looking forward to this one!!

Tony

Staff member
Motor/elevator mixing is a GREAT idea, but I try to shy away from it as it's a little complicated for some. But yes, it's a great idea! And if you have any suggestions on what you would like to see different in the plans, please post up your opinions! That is what makes a GREAT flying plane and a GREAT set of plans.

Timerider

Ok, printed out plans and have transferred to poster board. Derek, these wings are very close to the wings that were on my Ultimate. Only difference is top wing had a carbon tube spar and the ailerons were 2" wide. It had an insane roll rate! I am not gonna use the spar since your plane is made out of foamboard, whereas the Ulti was 6mm depron. I am going to make the ailerons 1.75" and see how that goes. On the vertical fuse, I widened the cabane just a little to give some more meat where the wing attaches and I will use .062 wire for cross bracing. I reshaped the canopy a little to bring it a little more forward and I added some more meat back by the vertical stab. The elevator will be one piece with a carbon spar just for a little bit more strength. I am also going the make the rudder like Gerald did. Are these changes necessary? Probably not, since you already have a good flying design. They're just for my personal preference. Should be able to get started on it in a couple of days. Here is a pic of my Ulti that this is replacing.Ulti.JPG

Ulti.JPG

Derek

I like the changes that you are making. I've recently crashed mine beyond repair and I'm building another one. I'm going to incorporate some of the ideas that you have.

Timerider

My build is coming along pretty good. I'm actually doing two of these at the same time. Gotta take care of a flying bud! Sorry, no pics yet. I decided to cut the control surfaces loose, then rehinge them with blenderm on the angle cut. I'll just use clear packing tape on the flat side. All surfaces are nice and loose, or floppy, however you want to look at it! Since I don't have any colored packing tape, I am just going to slam a quick rattle can job on them, then tape 'em. Nothing fancy, just something to make them stand out in the air. I'll be sure to take pics when I have them finished.

Timerider

1.jpg2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Finished the first one. With any luck, I'll be able to maiden it this evening. Learned some things to do differently on future builds, but hey, the first one is always an experiment! Don't know the AUW, have no way to scale it. Have a KDA 20-20l 1050 kv for power, 3s 1300 mah, 9x5 prop, YEP 18a esc and Tower Pro 9g servo's. Balances at almost 40% of top wing. Control surfaces seem to have plenty of throws. Airframe is rock solid with the cross bracing I put in it. Could've done a better job on the packing tape covering. Let's see how well she holds up to our abuse!

1.jpg

2.jpg

Derek

Yes Yes Yes!!! That looks great! Very nice job!!! I look forward to seeing the flight video.

Derek

Dude!!! I just noticed that you are in Van Wert, Ohio. Im in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You are probably only 40 minutes away from me.

Derek

lol, i dont always look at where people are from most of the time. Most everyone is 300 miles or further away from me. We need to hook up some time.

Top Bottom