RCH Bipe Beta 1 Now Available For Testing!!!

Derek

Derek the plane looks wicked and that's why so many are looking at this thread,

I am tempted to do it myself, if I could fly a plank I probably would have done it quicker, .

I appreciate that, Kev! I'm real happy with how this plane came out...cosmetically and functionality. Just awesome! I'm glad that so many others have taken an interest in it.

Tony

Staff member
Derek, I sent a link to this thread out to over 3000 members. lol.

I had put a servo location on teh fuse when we were chatting, but I forgot to group it with the fuse. So when I moved it back, it stayed in the place where I created it, and the fuse moved where I moved it. I just noticed this on the plans.

The rudder I did was a quick fix so I just knocked it out this morning. The elevator is going to be pretty easy, but it does need some special attention. I think I'm going to move the leading edge forward about 3/4" or so. Just to give it more rigidity.

I was looking at some bipe photos, and he was correct, the rudder on all of them was over the top wing. I never knew this.

Okay, let me ask you all this. Do you think the ailerons need to be larger or is the roll rate just fine? And I'm more talking about 3D flying more than anything.

Tony

Staff member
Tony, can we get a link to the beta 2 plans in the first post of this thread? I think it would be easier for people to find instead of them going through the thread to post #37.

Do you want to keep the Beta 1 plans in there along with the Beta 2, or just replace the Beta 1 with Beta 2?

Tony

Staff member
Derek the plane looks wicked and that's why so many are looking at this thread,

I am tempted to do it myself, if I could fly a plank I probably would have done it quicker, .

Kev, if you can fly a helicopter, you can fly this plane, or any plane I have on here. Go get you some foamboard and start building!!!

Derek

Derek, I sent a link to this thread out to over 3000 members. lol.

I had put a servo location on teh fuse when we were chatting, but I forgot to group it with the fuse. So when I moved it back, it stayed in the place where I created it, and the fuse moved where I moved it. I just noticed this on the plans.

The rudder I did was a quick fix so I just knocked it out this morning. The elevator is going to be pretty easy, but it does need some special attention. I think I'm going to move the leading edge forward about 3/4" or so. Just to give it more rigidity.

I was looking at some bipe photos, and he was correct, the rudder on all of them was over the top wing. I never knew this.

Okay, let me ask you all this. Do you think the ailerons need to be larger or is the roll rate just fine? And I'm more talking about 3D flying more than anything.

I was just looking at some bipe photos. Did a Google search and clicked on "images".....several biplanes have a rudder that is taller than the top wing and there are several that aren't.

As far as the roll rate....I'm not sure this can be determined if it's "enough" or not because only two members have built the plane and only one of those two had a level flight. The dual rates on my bipe are turned down to 50% with 10% expo. If I need more "roll rate", I'd just increase the dual rates. My ailerons are 1/8" narrower than the PDF plans, too. According to the plans that I saw, the ailerons are 1 1/4" wide. Mine are 1 1/8" and my biplane rolled very well. I think that bsuvansh just needs to make some cg changes and then try it again.

I'd just hate to see a bunch of changes to the plans before anyone, besides myself, gets a good flight from the plane. It seems that suggestions are coming in from one person and all of the sudden we're changing the plans over and over and over.

As far as his rudder issues, maybe he just needs to do what I did and open that gap in the elevator to allow the rudder to have more throw. Like I said above, I can do flat circles with my biplane. I can't see a reason why a different plane wouldn't do it.

Derek

I see absolutely no reason why bbq skewers wouldn't work. The skewers that I have are only 11.5" long. I don't think that's long enough to go from the uprights to the fuselage. if you could find some bbq skewers that were long enough....I bed they'd work just fine....lightweight and very rigid.

Take a look at this video that I did when the plane was completed. Take out the rambling and minor stuttering, it's actually a pretty good video, lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
I will go ahead and remove the beta 2 plane. This is your plane so I will just do what you suggest.

bsuvansh

I was just looking at some bipe photos. Did a Google search and clicked on "images".....several biplanes have a rudder that is taller than the top wing and there are several that aren't.

As far as the roll rate....I'm not sure this can be determined if it's "enough" or not because only two members have built the plane and only one of those two had a level flight. The dual rates on my bipe are turned down to 50% with 10% expo. If I need more "roll rate", I'd just increase the dual rates. My ailerons are 1/8" narrower than the PDF plans, too. According to the plans that I saw, the ailerons are 1 1/4" wide. Mine are 1 1/8" and my biplane rolled very well. I think that bsuvansh just needs to make some cg changes and then try it again.

I'd just hate to see a bunch of changes to the plans before anyone, besides myself, gets a good flight from the plane. It seems that suggestions are coming in from one person and all of the sudden we're changing the plans over and over and over.

As far as his rudder issues, maybe he just needs to do what I did and open that gap in the elevator to allow the rudder to have more throw. Like I said above, I can do flat circles with my biplane. I can't see a reason why a different plane wouldn't do it.

hmm, i will try a heavy powerplant on this and move the servo as you said, but my rudder was touching the elevator's inside edge.

- - - Updated - - -

Where was your CoG in that video? That thing was wicked tail heavy. Great for 3D, but could be the reason you couldn't feel the rudder much.

You say "increase the wing area, width wise". Do you mean add to the wing chord? Right now, it's at 6" on the chord and we have thought about going to 8. Or are you talking about adding to the wing length, which right now is 30"?

I will work on a new design for the rudder. I dont' think being over the top wing will do much. On a 3D plane, you want everything in the prop wash. I think the rudder may just need more surface area. Again, I will be working on it.

my CG was around 65-70% using 1500 and 2200mah battery respectively...

i mean to add to the wing chord and going for 8", but again lets just wait for other's view on this plane only 2 have flew this and only one flew, what we were thinking of!
'

Gerald

Just a quick progress update!
View attachment 11816
View attachment 11817
View attachment 11818
View attachment 11819

I don't know if you can see it but the next 2 pictures show the standard cut edge of the DTFB and the edge I am making with a clothes iron, not an original idea of mine but decided to try it and it works well, can even make angle edges for control surfaces.

View attachment 11820
View attachment 11821

Here is a preview of my color and stripe design

View attachment 11824
View attachment 11823
View attachment 11822

Should I start a build thread or just post up here?

bsuvansh

now i know that why i couldnt feel the rudder on my plane, the reason was turbulence, it was created with my motor mount's side walls + receiver which was not placed in the middle of the side profile, like i did with the battery and the servo of course...

Derek

I will go ahead and remove the beta 2 plane. This is your plane so I will just do what you suggest.

It's not an issue of it being "my plane". This is a forum plane now, no doubt. I just don't see the sense in cruising right to Beta 23 when only two people have flown it. I do like the "Ultimate" style rudder though. I wish I had done that to begin with, lol.

hmm, i will try a heavy powerplant on this and move the servo as you said, but my rudder was touching the elevator's inside edge.

- - - Updated - - -

my CG was around 65-70% using 1500 and 2200mah battery respectively...

i mean to add to the wing chord and going for 8", but again lets just wait for other's view on this plane only 2 have flew this and only one flew, what we were thinking of!
'

I'd like to see you flying the plane after you move the servos forward before you try a heavier motor. The motor that I used weighs 70 grams (according to the specs). 65-70% cg.....wow! Hopefully bringing the servos forward will help bring the cg forward a bit, too.

Gerald....your build is coming along real well. Looks great!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Derek, this is your plane. I'm really thinking about renaming it to something that will let others know, this is your plane. I have had a bipe in the works for over a year that I have been meaning to put onto PDF plans for the site. I will not do anything to these plans unless you ask for the changes.

I will hopefully be building this plane in the next couple of weeks. Would like to know how it flies myself!!

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and I'm not the kind of person to just sit back and wait for information to come in. If I have a feeling that something needs to be changed, I change it regardless of if I have feedback on it. I have butted heads with others on this subject (because I'm a take action kind of person, not one to sit back waiting for results) and it has cost me. But, it's also how I have gotten the forum to where it is today. By taking action.

Derek

I left a message for Tony in the Staff Section of the forum and after a bit more thinking, I decided to post a summed up version of my post here. Originally, I felt it should be kept from the public eye. Truthfully, I need to say the same thing here.

I apologized to Tony for my posts above. Tony was gracious enough to make my Biplane into PDF plans because there was so much of an expressed interest in my plane. I'm happy that so many people are interested in it and I'm even more happy that Tony got the PDF plans accessible.

bsuvansh built the plane, in record time, and he flew it. It was exceedingly tail heavy but it did fly. Then bsuvansh gave some input to help make the plan better...which is exactly what we had asked for...members input. In return, I gave quite a negative attitude towards all the changes. I was wrong and I sincerely apologize.

bsuvansh, you suggested that the rudder be taller and have more surface area. I spent some time, tonight, looking at my plane and I have to say that I agree, 100%. I have asked Tony to make these changes to the plans and I hope that the changes help make the plane look better as well as perform better. I imagine these changes will be made in short time because Tony, himself, is interested in building this plane, too.

So...give Tony a bit more time to make the changes and soon we'll see the next beta version of the Bipe and we'll see what changes need to be made next. Even I expressed an interest in making the wing chord 8" instead of the original 6".

bsuvansh

I left a message for Tony in the Staff Section of the forum and after a bit more thinking, I decided to post a summed up version of my post here. Originally, I felt it should be kept from the public eye. Truthfully, I need to say the same thing here.

I apologized to Tony for my posts above. Tony was gracious enough to make my Biplane into PDF plans because there was so much of an expressed interest in my plane. I'm happy that so many people are interested in it and I'm even more happy that Tony got the PDF plans accessible.

bsuvansh built the plane, in record time, and he flew it. It was exceedingly tail heavy but it did fly. Then bsuvansh gave some input to help make the plan better...which is exactly what we had asked for...members input. In return, I gave quite a negative attitude towards all the changes. I was wrong and I sincerely apologize.

bsuvansh, you suggested that the rudder be taller and have more surface area. I spent some time, tonight, looking at my plane and I have to say that I agree, 100%. I have asked Tony to make these changes to the plans and I hope that the changes help make the plane look better as well as perform better. I imagine these changes will be made in short time because Tony, himself, is interested in building this plane, too.

So...give Tony a bit more time to make the changes and soon we'll see the next beta version of the Bipe and we'll see what changes need to be made next. Even I expressed an interest in making the wing chord 8" instead of the original 6".

that's okay, i didnt took that as a -ve attitude of yours, if i was in your place then even i have said the same... so it doesnt really matter, and thanks a lot for considering my inputs!!
im so excited about the new official changes in the plane!
so the new plans will be posted in this thread, right!!

Gerald

Some more progress!

View attachment 11842

View attachment 11843

View attachment 11844

View attachment 11845

View attachment 11846

So far the build is going well, The only changes I made was to the elevator, kept the thickness in the middle of it, I may still add a popsicle stick there, and on the rudder I did the horizontial cut near the top of it, I like that look! I completly cut the rudder off the fuse, I think that made it easier to glue the vertical fuse portion to the horizontial but that is just personal preferance in my building style. Now for the electronics!

On a side note, I have been reading this thread and it looks like things are getting a little, how do I put this, "Excited" Passionate", Lets keep this fun! I appricate all Tony does! BIG TY for the forum and the work to bring the plane to us! Derek, YOU DA MAN!:hdbng: with this bird and I until I see diffrent I would keep the plane as is! The beauty of this plane is if a guy doesnt like the size of a componet, cut it of and build a diffrent one! Hey it would not be that hard to design optional rudders and elevators with out a new plane design, just put them on a different pdf and call it the sport version or something like that! No matter what Derek has to get the props for the plane! And Tony, man if you another bipe get it on here! when you can! I am always looking for a new bird to build cuz I keep crashing all my other ones!:lol:

Top Bottom