Projects RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log

Tony

Staff member
The carbon rod, yes it is needed. Otherwise the elevator will twist in the center. And I'm not sure what you mean by squared.

bigone5500

The two wing halves meet in the middle. Those ends should be squared up with the leading edge right?

How do I install the rod in the elevator.

Tony

Staff member
Not in the elevator, just on top with hot glue. And yes, the inside edge should be 90º to the leading edge.

bigone5500

Then I cut the dihedral to the proper angle and glue the wing together right? I think I can use an angle finder to get the wing at the correct angle then use a large razor blade to slice the dihedral.

Did that make sense??? :banghead:

Tony

Staff member
No need to do all of that. Just lay one wing flat and put a soda can under the end of the other wing and glue the two together.

Tony

Staff member
Nah bro, these things fly with incidnece rather than airfoil so you don't need to do much other than make them look like a plane lol.

Tony

Staff member
make a tube in the shape of a box and put something flat perpendicular to it. As long as you put a large enough motor on it, it will fly.

bigone5500

I'm getting close on finishing the build. I should have the wings, rudder, and elevator mounted tomorrow. I cut the rudder out and hinged it tonight. I sure would like to have some easy hinges to install.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not sure what you are asking on "easy hinges". I just cut a 45º into the hinge and back it up with packing tape. Doesnt' get much easier than that. As for the servos, you just put them in the wing roughly at the location of where I have it marked on the plans and you push them in and use a little hot glue to secure them. Below is a video on the V1 trainer where I install the servos. Hope this helps you out on the servo install.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, I know the hinge you are talking about, and although it does work, I don't trust it. I just always cut a 45 leaving one side of the paper on, usually on the top, and use tape to reinforce it.

bigone5500

Well it's too late. I have cut the control surfaces from the original piece. I'll have to figure something out. I may have to find some flimsy thick plastic and make some hinges with that. Insert it into the edge of the wing then slide the aileron up to it and onto the hinges. I could use some epoxy to secure them. Just an idea.

bigone5500

Or I could cut an angle on the aileron and tape it back onto the wing then add a piece of tape to the angled joint.

???

Tony

Staff member
No worries, you can just align them back up to the wing and use packing tape to put them back together as well as making the hinge at the same time.

Top Bottom