Projects RC-Help Trainer V.3.1 Build Log

bigone5500

Cleaner plane...OMG!! This is one ugly build. I did a horrible job. I really hate this black foam board.

Here are a few more photos. You can see why I hate the black stuff. It peels so easily. If there is an issue with the hot glue you can almost always be assured that the paper is going to peel. Given that, I think it turned out ok for a first build. It was a good learning experience.

I installed the Rx with some velcro to the bottom of the fuselage. I did this so I can remove it sometime if I need to rebind it, which I will. Inserting the bind plug is going to be hard with it so far inside the plane. I ran the antenna straight back underneath the servos. I had no other option really except to put it on the outside of the plane. If I have reception issues I will poke a small hole on the side and run it out there. I'll secure it with packing tape. I installed the battery compartment in about the general area as the instructions say. I opted to remove the short piece on the bottom and raise the forward up a little so I could run my ESC underneath. In hindsight, I should have lowered the battery tray and mounted my ESC on top. If I have any issues, I'll have to cut the plane apart, which isn't really an issue as hot glue holds it together anyway. I secured the battery with a little velcro across the opening of the compartment. I left the backing on the 'loop' side of the strip and mounted a couple pieces on the top and underside of the opening. I assembled the complete aircraft last night and the Cg is spot on. I also didn't have any carbon rod so I use this 2.5mm fiberglass I had for the elevator support.

This thing is ready for flight!!!!!

20170924_095351.jpg 20170924_095425.jpg 20170924_095837.jpg 20170924_100050.jpg

bigone5500

One thing I forgot to mention, I had to make a battery extension due to my ESC being in the bottom of the fuselage. Another hindsight.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, some ESC's have long leads, some short, same for batteries. Just one of those things.

bigone5500

Given the nature of rubber bands, I may opt for converting this plane to a bolt on wing. @Tony , what do you suggest as far as bolt on methods go?

Tony

Staff member
I used a piece of 1"x1/4" balsa that I drilled a hole in and tapped to the bolt size I was going to use then shot some thin CA in the threads to harden it up. It is still in my V3 trainer fuse as a matter of fact lol. You can also use blind nuts as well, just use a little CA to keep them in.

bigone5500

I tried a couple ways to do a bolt on wing. I'm afraid I will end up junking it if I keep on. I got my wife to pick up a pack of #32 bands and will give them a try. I think they will be ok. I'm gonna try to fly it again tomorrow.

20171019_204152.jpg

bigone5500

LOL!!!! I just got a text from my wife's phone. She had told me she sent one earlier but I never got it. They do have #64 bands which are 1/4" wide and 3 1/2" long. They're $1.27 a pack. Oh well...

Tony

Staff member
Put some Popsicle sticks on the back of the wing to keep it from crushing it the way it is.

bigone5500

The bands she bought me tonight are 3". I think that's why it's crushing the wing like that. I will put some sticks on there though to protect it. Better yet, I got some scrap 1/16" plywood that will work great.

bigone5500

R.I.P. RCH Trainer 3.1. Misjudged a tree's distance and landed softly in its limbs. I thought it was a goner but I gave it throttle and it pulled itself out. A hard nose landing crushed the fuselage. The battery tray is completely trashed. The prop adapter is bent too. With the fuse as it is I will rip all the stuff out and give it another go.

20171021_175717.jpg 20171021_180458.jpg

bigone5500

I have decided this morning that I will not be building another RCH Trainer...

I will resurrect this one!!!!

I have spent too much time on this plane to not have a successful flight. I plan on stiffening the nose with some 1/16 ply and make the battery tray with some of the same. My idea is to have the battery lie flat on the bottom of the fuselage and mount the ESC on the roof. I can easily repair the busted airframe with hot glue and although it will not look great, it will be back together. Photos to come.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I didn't even see it lmao. So many things going on here right now I just read it, replied and moved on lmao. But yes, if only the nose is bent up, just find those pieces in the plans and only cut out the nose, chop the old one off and glue the new one on. Simple lmao.

Top Bottom