450 project Gaui X3 begins

Slobberdog

Uri, dude that sucks, the heli sounded sweet as a nut until that point, I have listened to the video and watched it a good few times today, and right up until the impact the only sound you can discern is when it went full neg pitch and you can hear the load,

Sorry to say but I'm with Paul I reckon its gotta be electrical or the gyro had a wobbly,

pvolcko

Just watched this on my computer (was on tablet last night).

There is the start of a higher pitched whine a couple/few seconds before things go sideways (just as the heli moves left of the light pole). Also, it didn't just go hard negative pitch. The heli rolls 90 degrees left and yaws 180+ degrees or so CW as it's going in. If it was just a seized bearing it would have made a racket lost some headseed, but maintained control.

Did the swash drivers stay attached to the swash? You didn't have a ball back out on the swash or head? Jesus bolts didn't sheer?

My theory: a swash driver ball came loose (causing the whine as it rubbed on the servo connection arms on the swash), backed out enough to lock against a swash-servo arm, caused a jesus bolt to sheer (leaving tail powered but not the main rotor, inducing the yaw), and then the swash arm broke off or bent enough to let the rotor keep spinning, but by then had induced enough swash deflection to make it roll.

Far fetched since you didn't mention anything about that kind of damage. I'm htinking swash driver arm since I doubt a blade link would have the strength to ... actually the ball could have backed out and jammed things up enough to sheer the jesus bolt. I was thinking the link wouldn't have enough strength to stop things up enough to sheer the bolt, but the ball connector jammed on the servo connection arm of the swash would.

IF you just want to move on, I understand. I'm curious to know what caused this though. It was unusual.

murankar

Staff member
Actually I would like to make an honest attempt to solve a ghost problem.

The only link that popped off was the pitch servo link, The servo on the left. Now what could have happened was the link popped off one end, the swash end; and the crash caused the other end to pop off. Now that would explain the left list that occurred. As for for the tail spin not sure on that.

If that is the case then my eagerness was to blame. I have the link ends and decided not to change them all like I wanted. I believe that I had pre worn the links when I attempted my first setup. I wanted to use my phone like many before me have, with some success. Well I did not have the same success. In processes of setup I was popping links left and right to get it set up.

I will have to re look at it again and see what I can see/here. This will be interesting to investigate.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Slobberdog;

It was sound really good. I have had that motor for some time now but it was on the bench for a while. My protos could not take that motor so it sat. Now that I got a kit for that motor I am stoked.

Anyhow it will be up again.

P.S.
Trex 450 gear does not fit on the X3. They are not long enough.

murankar

Staff member
I think I know what happened. The link popped while in flight. When it did it went hard left and appeared to go full negative. My fault then not he fault of the electronics.

---edit--
I will mic all the links and change them. Don't need this to happen again.

Last edited:

Lee

I'm glad at least you found the issue.
Its what i suspected from the way it went down.

murankar

Staff member
Its the only thing I can think of at this point, The result is conducive to a link popping and the link that popped was the one that would cause the port side list it took. Lesson learned on this one. Change the links of they have been removed a lot.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Pull on the links and if you use no effort to pull it off.. That's bad

And that was definitely the link popping off as when the links popped ... The blade "fell" and went full 90degrees probably and that caused the motor to bog like hell... Causing the current draw you saw... And that would cause the tail to kick out too as that's what too much torque for the tail to overcome...

Loss of lift .. Not negative pitch.... Blade was probably in the left side of its travel so it pulled the bird to the left. And no lift means POW! Sorry to hear

Definitely check the swash for bends after such a thing.

heli-maniac

If you can stop the video at 1:46 right as it turns the tail both blades still look to be tracking the same
it shot down to fast to have just lost lift
I could see a link come off if was under a hard load from a move but its just hovering every thing should slay put in a strait line
I hope it was just a link and not a elct. glitch and it happen again after the rebuild

murankar

Staff member
Its hard to say at this point. I have to figure out how to do a slow motion edit on the video to see what happened. It did happen way to quick to see what happened.

HeliDinoRC

Senior Rc-Help Member
At least you know what happened and you can get some closure. I feel bad for you that it happened, though…..

murankar

Staff member
Haven't heard back from savoxusa, tmk said that the splinter hole on those horns have been reported as being not the correct size. So I am still waiting at this point.

I forgot to order skids so I slapped the gorilla gear on and let's just say I need the Gaui skids but these should work as temporary replacements.

murankar

Staff member
My back ordered batteries are shipped. I will have three almost dead packs and 4 fresh packs.

murankar

Staff member
Here is the email traffic from Savox USA. I think I might be changing brands when these die.

From ME

to customerservice

cleardot.gif
Is the product SH11M servo horn set going to be restocked in the near future? If not what is the recommended servo horn that will give me 13.5mm ball to center spacing?cleardot.gif

to me

cleardot.gif
Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

We will get back to you shortly.

to me

cleardot.gif
Hello the SH11P is the same set of horns as the SH11M just the mounting hardware of the horn to the servo is different. with the SH11M you get a machined screw and in the SH11P you get a self tapping screw for the plastic servos. M is for metal gear servos and P is for plastic micros, but if you dont need the screw wither will work as all the horns are the same.

to Savox

cleardot.gif
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately you failed to answer my initial question. When are the horns going to be back in stock? Both the SH11P and SH11M are out of stock around the world. Approximately when will this product be in stock? If you don't know the answer then tell me "I don't know", don't tap dance around the answer. This could be one reason why I switch brands after three years.

P.S.

I never asked about the differences between the M kit and the P kit, but that info will be useful in the future. cleardot.gif

Top Bottom