450 project Gaui X3 begins

murankar

Staff member
I finally got a chance to start the setup. All I have left is to level the swash and set the pitch. Getting closer to being able to fly.

here is video 2

RC-Help.com

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
After some growing pains last night the setup went ok. I had a swash issue with stick input. The correction for it was in the mixing menu.

Want ended up being the issue was with the input value of the elevator. I had it set negative and it should have been positive.

Now the fbl unit was fairly simple. The basic setup stuff is still at default and will get adjusted during the first flights. What I am expecting is the X3 will be lethargic because of the P.I.D. settings. I will need lots of help getting those numbers right. What my issue is where do I start, what order do I make the adjustments and when to make the adjustments. Now I do know the if there is any wobble or shake that is unwanted.

Now it's off to work and hopefully tonight I can get the swash level and pitch set.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I find it very interesting and good that no two parts in the heli are together.. Everything is put together by the builder. Which means YOU know what's in the bird and YOU have control over how much loctite there is , and is something goes wrong... It's your fault ... This is great!!!

Good videos

murankar

Staff member
Thank you. The only thing that came assembled was the tail rotor hub and grips. The directions tell you to take it apart and use thread locker.

Right now I need to finish the last video that I took on this build.

murankar

Staff member
I just figured out the EC5 connectors. I was doing it wrong the first time. Now I have 5 batteries and 1 esc ready to go with EC5s.

Today has been a not a great day. I broke a ball link end and heli direct is out of stock. So setup Is at a stand still till I get a new ball link end.

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I just figured out the EC5 connectors. I was doing it wrong the first time. Now I have 5 batteries and 1 esc ready to go with EC5s. Today has been a not a great day. I broke a ball link end and heli direct is out of stock. So setup Is at a stand still till I get a new ball link end.

Do you mean ec3's. ? 5's are huge for a bird this size

murankar

Staff member
I decided to go a little old school on the setup. Is it perfect, no far from it but it is more accurate than the crap on my phone. Heli pitch gauge app and my new phone do not get along. What took me 20 minutes today took all day yesterday.

I ended up starting from square one. I took a right angle triangle (one for drafting) and re 90°ed the servo arms. I popped all the swash links and reset to 5.6 mm center space.

At that point the swash was just a few clicks of sub trim in the fbl software. I used a swash level to check the swash. It was as dead on as I could tell with the tool.

With that done I went ahead and reassembled the main shaft with the head block and blades. I check for 0° pitch at mid and was off by 1 turn after resetting back to book specs of 13.6mm. Went full positive and it was off the scale so I dialed it down to 11°+ the opposite is at 9.5 or 10°-. So I need to check that out. For aileron and elevator I set them to 8°+ and the negative needs to be adjusted. I have to fix the swash location first on collective before the cyclic is good.

All I need to do is check the wash out arms and see what way they are out if wack. Once I check that out then I will be able to make my adjustments.

I am still down a linkage end. The size is 4.8mm, I check the protos linkages and they are way to small. A main does not carry the x3, heli direct is out, Gaui's site does nor list them rotoarywingrc.com has the rods but not the ends. So who know how long. Besides I am still waiting on 2 batteries to show up, and there is no restock date as of yet (for both the ends and batteries).

Yesterday when I did my ec3s, I got the plastic part on the wrong component. After looking at my charging lead I noticed it. I should have check first. I got the brass part right just mixed up the plastic housing. So I fix the charging leads to match my setup.

I will keep updating Here as I make more progress.

murankar

Staff member
How much and send PayPal info. Without those I can't fly.

murankar

Staff member
Links ordered!! not sure when they will get here, did flat rate. Shipping cost more than the part, to bad that's all i needed.

heli-maniac

Thats were I order most of my 130x parts
They will ship tomorrow and you will get them in 2 days
On something that small I get 2 or 3 your going to need them sooner or later

murankar

Staff member
I wasnt even thinking about getting 2 packs. Normally a set of links wil last me a while since I am not beating them up. This is the first time I broke a link during setup. I also have a wish list setup at helidirect that should complete my crash kit.

Oh and before I forget thank you for the link.

murankar

Staff member
Everyday we have that has been nice has been waisted due to not being set up.

I can't wait to get it in the air also. All that is left on setup is the other main blade and do the piro optimization to ensure proper swash travel.

I also have a 4 day weekend this weekend and the wife and 1 child will be out of town for three of those days.

murankar

Staff member
Nose planting sucks, sorry to hear that. Did that myself a few months ago. If I did my math right then this one should be cheaper to fix.

Top Bottom