450 project Gaui X3 begins

murankar

Staff member
Let's see what happens I have been siming lately. I won't try the flips and rolls yet even though I feel comfortable in the SIM.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Order has been processed and shipped. Should have nlt Wednesday, then air time by Friday.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

murankar

Staff member
Here is the maiden. I did not get crazy or anything just got it in the air to check out the settings. My GensAce packs are about done as you'll see in the video. I am almost done charging the Pulse Ultra packs. I have 2 of the 4 packs that I ordered and will be logging all my flights. Once the new packs are done charging I will be breaking the packs in for the first few flights and checking the data logging to see how they are doing.

[video=youtube_share;1aoLiwEdnHE]http://youtu.be/1aoLiwEdnHE[/video]

murankar

Staff member
3s. Well it was running 3s. More to follow.

This is not what I wanted to show but it happens.

[video=youtube_share;xyLyQGsoORc]http://youtu.be/xyLyQGsoORc[/video]

Here is the log:

crashReport.jpg

crashReport.jpg

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Its either mechanical or electrical. I am leaning towards electrical. If you look at the spike at the right end of the graph you will see where I spiked to 111 amps. NOt sure what caused it. I am however almost done with the rebuild with the stuff I have on hand.

replaced the main gear, rear tail box, boom and Torque tube and lading gear.

Whats left to fix is the boom supports, tail control rod, 1 servo arm.

I still need to check the main shaft and feathering shaft. I have a strong feeling those are still good, but will check anyways just to be safe.

murankar

Staff member
I was just flying and making adjustments for wind. I started to climb and bam, she quit on me. I had to rewatch the video because I forgot what I was doing at the time.

Long story short I am looking at a another order or 2 get the rest of the needed parts.

I am keeping the original rear tail box, the gears, bearings and output shaft are all still good. No striped gears.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

I dont see it doing that if it just shut down sounds like it went full neg. pitch
The spike would come from the blade strike
Really hard to say
But that dose suck Bud

murankar

Staff member
The boom did take a good hit, i think that's what broke the one blade. The skids took most of the shock and saved the frame. I am going to be taking a break form this for a few days. My soul is crushed for the time being. Looks like more sim time for this guy. I will be placing an order here shortly for the parts. My list is short and under $60. I am glad I invested in some of the crash parts when I bought the kit.

I just did a test spool up and the main shaft is bent so that will be fixed in the morning. I will check the head spindle at that time.

murankar

Staff member
Scorpion HK 2221-8 V2 3595 KV. Its a beast of a motor for a 450 on 3S. That crash was with a brand new Pulse Ultra 2250 35C pack. My old packs would not have spiked as high as the new one did.

heli-maniac

If your needing Main blades I know a place that has the RJX in stock
325 black , white and green 22.00
360 black , white and green 33.00
360 black and white 25.00

murankar

Staff member
I found the RJX for 11.99 at heli direct, but out of stock. I am going to get a set of Gaui baldes for 16.99 from rotarywingrc.com when I place the order. Oh yeah and I am running the 325mm blades. I dont think a 3s setup will handle 350mm blades all that well.

Last edited:

pvolcko

Wow. That was horrible. I hate non-pilot-error crashes.

Tail kicked hard left, unusual for a negative pitch hit. Should have kicked right if it was a normal abrupt pitch change. I'd be leading toward a bearing seizing or maybe a screw backing out and jamming things up. Sudden jamming would explain the current spike and why the tail went hard left.

Then again, that looked like it was under power and with negative pitch the way it hit. If it was then definitely electrical issues.

Lee

Dude thats nasty. Ouch!!!
I'm on the side of mechanical. Any link damage?
I could be a link popped off? Just guessing.

murankar

Staff member
Missing links, not really one did pop off. I say it popped due to impact, I found the link right next to the curb where the heli was lying.

After going through the entire frame I could not find anything that would have lead to a mechanical issue. None of the links were broke or cracked, all the screws were in it except three; two that held the skids on and 1 screw in the tail case (the whole looks like it was ripped out on impact and no gear damage in the rear).

What I find crazy is that I was in Normal mode with only 4 or 5 degrees of negative programmed in. This thing went full negative, something in the system had to of caused it to respond in that fashion. I have looked over the rx and the things plugged into it and have not been able to get it to repeat ; at least not yet anyways.

As for the tail kick I have collective precomp programed in at +5. This may have caused the tail to act the way it did, just a guess.

Top Bottom