Off Topic Chit Chat

RandyDSok

The problem that I have is the skip button is not there on the activation window. If I can get past that, I can use the phone system to activate it. But again, it's not there.

That sounds like an earlier version ISO which I don't recall seeing a skip button on either... I don't have any of my Win 10 disks here, they are all at the shop so I can't test to verify... I do know I saw it on the build version I mentioned...

Tony

Staff member
Sure wish I had faster internet lol. I will see if I can download the latest version.

RandyDSok

Sure wish I had faster internet lol. I will see if I can download the latest version.

And I'll keep my fingers crossed that is actually the problem and not some odd ball fluke that only happens on your hardware

Tony

Staff member
Just harvested our 4 rows of corn. We were decimated by earworm's this year. Only about 1/4 of our corn was salvageable. We are thinking about planting a summer crop of early corn. Should have enough time for it to mature before the first frost. We will find out. It's only about $10 worth of seed to do double what we just did.

and I did get 10 on my lappy. Finally. What a pain in the ass.

Tony

Staff member
Well crap. I went ahead and blanched the corn so that we could freeze it for a later time (keeps way longer), but then I went ahead and boiled up a couple cobs to "test" lol. Well, I'm glad I did (sort of). The corn is way too ripe and the kernels have went to starch on me. None of the corn that I have is worth eating. You can still eat it, but it's not what it should be. This sucks.

Tony

Staff member
So I decided to go ahead and set the server up that I have here at the house. It's time I learn this linux crap lol. So I fired up the Dell 2850, had to reset the bios (CMOS battery is dead) and set the raid back to raid and vmware fired right up.

From there, I installed CentOS 6.5 and got it all working. I then installed webmin and virtualmin and got them all configured up. Once I had that done (webmin installs teh AMP stack) I decided to see if I could get a connection from outside my LAN. A phone call to Matt and some testing later and I'm connected to not only my server, but also the VM and my router so I can work on this while on the road.

Once that was done, I decided to see if I could install a website on this server. Remember, I'm Linus stupid and this server is slow as hell, only has 42GB of usable space on a raid stack of 4 drives and is sitting in my barn where it is hot as hell. So I uploaded the .zip file to the server and unpacked it. I then setup MySQL, a DB and a user, configured them and ran the script to install the website.

I had some issues with permissions, but got around them and finally have it installed. I will not give out the address since this is on my personal network and I'm sure I missed something lol. But dammit I have a working website that is running on a crap server behind a VM and I can access it from anywhere. I have made progress today.

Now to figure out this damn mail server and get it setup... That is going to be the challenge... If you think I suck at Linux, then I REALLY suck at a mail server lol.

Tony

Staff member
Wizzard... No. I'm just trying to learn this crap lmao. Setting up a website is easy for me. Setting up a server is a whole different ball game. For me anyway (remember, linux stupid...). Now the real learning starts. It's time to wipe the server and do it all again, but this time, only in a couple of hours... But not today...

RandyDSok

Panorama of two storms merging just north and west of Norman Ok.... I used 8 pics to create the pano from.

DSC_0790-Pano-1_lzn_crp_sm.jpg

DSC_0790-Pano-1_lzn_crp_sm.jpg

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there Randy. Once again wonderful job on the pano. I like to let you know that my wife is a fan of your pics also. :)

RandyDSok

Hey there Randy. Once again wonderful job on the pano. I like to let you know that my wife is a fan of your pics also. :)

Well... thank you kindly... and your wife also.

I do wish forums, facebook and other places didn't dither the photo's so much... the gray to dark gray across the bottom of the shot doesn't vary as much as it shows here ( and other places ) and it's not as blue/purple-ish as it appears... still I guess it's close enough.

Here is one just for the wifey ... I took it with my previous DSLR and then left a little color in the center of the rose and the rest is B/W

TheRose.jpg

TheRose.jpg

Tony

Staff member
to save server space, I have the images at 70% quality. To get around this, upload them to photobucket or something at full quality, then post the image link here wrapped in the img tags and it should come out full quality. Just warn people before you do, some of them are very large.

trainrider06

You mean the pix of my beautiful heli's has only been 70%??? Oh of all the nerve!!! :wink:
Wonder if we should start some sort of general pix thread?

Tony

Staff member
If you had to pay for these ungodly expensive HDD's for servers, you would cut them back to 50% lmao. But, the wife an I are doing some talking and I may have a solution to where I can allow larger, well, everything. Space will not be an issue if I can do what I want to do. Let's just say, 32GB RAM and 12TB HDD... Should work for a while lol.

RandyDSok

to save server space, I have the images at 70% quality. To get around this, upload them to photobucket or something at full quality, then post the image link here wrapped in the img tags and it should come out full quality. Just warn people before you do, some of them are very large.

I'd leave your settings just as they are now...

Almost everywhere does the same for the very reason you mentioned, I suspect most exceptions are photo centric to start with and planned for that when they were setup... space isn't free. Most people don't know how or may not care to know how to resize a pic even though I feel it's a very basic and isn't hard at all, having the forum automatically resize it is perfect for the majority of people.

When I post up a shot, I've already down sized it... I do it so it will limit the dithering a little bit ( hopefully ), but I do expect some differences. That pano originally was 303Mb ( 8 raw at 6000x4000 with some loss due to cropping and overlapping in order that all shots are lined up and even ), the one I uploaded ended up being a 1920x344 and 81k. On the other side, the Rose is/was 600Kb ( I forgot on that one to downsize it ). Most of the ones I upload should be well under 100Kb or I messed up and forgot something.

If everyone out there did the same, then I may argue the point and say to not dither/downsize them as much... but they don't and it's just a fact that we must accept. I still wouldn't upload a full quality shot on my own personal server either, but that's in part because if I ever need to prove ownership because someone stripped out the (C) notice in the EXIF, I can.

murankar

Staff member
Rdosk when you shoot your panos do you shoot in portrait or landscape? When I shot mine I do them in Portrait.

Tony the linux thing is not as bad as you make it sound. Just get in there and do it would ya. Once you start doing thing in there you will see its not all that bad.

Top Bottom