Off Topic Chit Chat

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
I don't really know why I keep taking shot's of the Moon, other than it's just an easy target that's up often... so to add to the "million" I've got already... I grabbed another waiting on the Perseid Meteor shower to show up after the Moon set finally... clouds blocked that though...

View attachment 16361

Nice pic. of the moon. The wife and I tried to see the shower but we've been having rainy weather so many clouds where present. She didn't make it but just as well. Just too cloudy for us to view anything.

RandyDSok

Just so everyone knows... I do like more than clouds, space and stuff like that...

Earlier today, I was talking with a friend and he mentioned he was going to run out to the RC field that I'd ( and Tony ) had been members of. I asked when he thought he go out... he said about 12:30pm-1:00pm if he got his other chores done... As it happened, when 1pm swung around... I had just started some tests on a computer that would take at least a couple of hours to complete... I'll give you one guess where I headed too :)

I lucked out, when I got there, another member was also present that I hadn't seen or talked too in a while.

Here is Pete Sinclair starting his Piper Cub... and Dave Patterson was holding it for him

DSC_1044-1_lzn_1280.jpg

I tried to get some good ones of it in the air... but the only one I liked the composition of... turned out blurry...

DSC_1044-1_lzn_1280.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Pete is a great guy to say the least. And some fantastic stories lol. That dude had me rolling many times. And I don't think he owns a plane under about 60".

RandyDSok

Yet another Moon... this time the Sturgeon Moon ( as well as many other names )

DSC_1065-4_lzn_crp_1280.jpg

DSC_1065-4_lzn_crp_1280.jpg

Last edited:

trainrider06

I'm beginning to wonder if your the Wolfman! With all these moon shots your taking! I remember Lon Cheney Jr back in the day you know....:wink:.
Nice shot! Man that is one beat to death planet! Why was it nicknamed a "Sturgeon moon" I wonder?

RandyDSok

I'm beginning to wonder if your the Wolfman! With all these moon shots your taking! I remember Lon Cheney Jr back in the day you know....:wink:.
Nice shot! Man that is one beat to death planet! Why was it nicknamed a "Sturgeon moon" I wonder?

They probably have a group to help those like myself... sort of an AA for photog's that can't stop taking shots of the Moon or something :D

Seriously... for me the Moon and stars shots are a particular challenge with focus more than anything else. The Moon also has a challenge getting the proper contrast and as I struggled with tonight... even the white balance. My original photo I had uploaded ( I was in the middle of re-uploading a corrected one when you posted ) was set to auto and had a white balance of 4250k ( kelvin ) which resulted in a bit of a blueish cast to it I felt... so I re-edited it changing the WB around and finally settled with a 4750k WB in the end...

The proper WB for a daylight shot is typically 5500k and nightime is usually in the 6000-6500k ( memory is a little rusty this late ). Going by that I would have guessed it should have been between those values instead of where I ended up at but anything closer to the 5000k area ended up with a sepia-like tint to it.

The Indians around the Great Lakes region were the cause of that name... they new that the sturgeons were plentiful and a likely catch on this night. It also has many, many other names... Dog Moon, Blood Moon, Lightning Moon were just some among the ones I noticed when I looked it up...

trainrider06

Well myself I think that's a pretty dang good shot you got there, clearly shows the devastation inflicted onto it. Well study's have shown the affects of the moon to be quite the influence on our planet, and its inhabitants.
When I had my house out in the country, on a Friday night with a full moon the police scanner would be booming with activity around the area. It was quite entertaining! The activity of folks would double compaired to other Friday nights...

I take great pleasure of those like yourself who paint pictures, by camera or brush stroke of these things in life, truly an art to be able to catch moments places or things in time frozen by ones gift of capturing that moment to reflect upon.

It seems those people that we practically made extinct may have been wiser than people thought back in the day. Thank goodness some of our leaders preserved the land as it was roamed by those people of days gone by. They were probably more in tune with their surroundings than any of us could ever be in our life time. A shame they were not photographers or painters also in their time of this nation.

RandyDSok

Got a couple of lightning shot's this evening....

... these are slightly out of focus... the only focus reference points I had were a few lights about 1/8 of a mile away or the stars and the lighting was probably about 15-25 miles give or take... so I took what I got :)

DSC_1202-1_lzn_1280.jpg

DSC_1228-1_lzn_1280.jpg

DSC_1202-1_lzn_1280.jpg

DSC_1228-1_lzn_1280.jpg

trainrider06

Hey Steve, just watched one of the Drags over there in Sanapod or somewhere like that. Running some good numbers over there!

Wow it's been a while!!
Sorry guys life caught up with me for a while there and have been flat out... haven't even had a chance to open the laptop to do anything until now!
I'd like to say some progress has been made, but I'd be lieing lol
Well good to touch base, and will have some free time soon to sit down, get some work done and have a yarn

trainrider06

Wow it's been a while!!
Sorry guys life caught up with me for a while there and have been flat out... haven't even had a chance to open the laptop to do anything until now!
I'd like to say some progress has been made, but I'd be lieing lol
Well good to touch base, and will have some free time soon to sit down, get some work done and have a yarn

thats life I reckon gets us all off track to where we wanna be!

RandyDSok

Photog geeking out warning... I know few may be interested in this.. but I wanted to share the info anyway with someone since it makes me happy in a techy geeky way :)

Yesterday I received a new lens filter for my camera. The reason I got It is that it filters out the yellow/orange sodium street light pollution... and does it very well if you ask me. When I was researching about what filter to use for this... I found a ton of reviews about this filter for that very purpose and what's interesting is I found few talking about using it for the purpose that it's marketed for...

Here is the Amazon description.... "Also known as a 'didymium' filter, this is used to enhance red, orange and brown subjects to give more color saturation and contrast, while having very little effect on other colors. It can be used in many situations such as architecture where certain building features need emphasising, or for landscapes to enhance foliage and rocky features."

With fall just around the corner... it sounds like it will come in handy for that also... but I'm pretty thrilled already for the main reason I got it.... I think the following shows how effective it can be.

Both pics were taken using the same settings... f-stop ( f2.0 ), shutter speed of 2.5 seconds... and a high sensitivity of 3200 ISO so the light pollution would readily show up... Mother Nature did her part for these test shots and helped by having some thin clouds to help reflect the light pollution back...

DSC_1286_3200iso_1280.jpg

DSC_1286_3200iso_1280.jpg

RandyDSok

No filter on that one lol.

No... well other than an UV filter...

But the other filter I mentioned wouldn't have affected those colors except perhaps to help contrast them by maybe a 1/3 stop. The red enhancer uses a very narrow band filter of just the sodium light frequency... the street lights weren't even on yet so nothing to filter.

Tony

Staff member
That's what I meant. If you would have used that filter on that sunset, it would have blocked all of the orange colors in the clouds.

Top Bottom