Off Topic Chit Chat

Tony

Staff member
Well, I screwed up and deleted the old thread (log in post here 2). That was my bad. Working on the site, in a hurry and crap happens. That'll teach me lmao.

Here is the new Off Topic thread. The other title was out dated anyway.

I'll start.

So I'm just sitting here in Minooka Il waiting to be unloaded. I'm 40 minutes late and they are now making me wait. Go figure.... I'm seriously looking at going back to my old company. Hourly pay so I make a minimum every single day and it's pretty much what I'm making here on average. We will find out though.

Did see a horrible crash today though, right after it happened. A friggin rock hauler (pond scum of the trucking world. Most, not all) pulled out right in front of another driver and that driver had NO WHERE TO GO other than into the trailer of that rock hauler. The windshield was against the trailer, it was that bad. He survived, just barely.

RandyDSok

Love the chit chat threads in forums... :)

Sunday my family on my Mother's side... got together for the annual reunion ( which I didn't make this year ) many coming from quite away off, including an Aunt/Uncle who come in from Alaska....

One of the things they do is to have an auction of things family members had made and the proceeds go to paying for next years rent of the location as well as general supplies needed such as food, tea, pop and other assundries you need for a get together like that.

One of my cousins that had moved into my Grandparents house after they passed away... Had taken down some of the cedar tree's my Grandfather had planted to surround a portion of the yard by the house back in the early 50's right after my Parents had gotten married. Out of one of those, he'd made a cane.... Once my Mother saw it and found out that not only did one of her nephews make the cane, but it also had come from one of the trees her father had planted on the land she'd grown up on... Just had to get it for my Dad who's now starting to use one more often. She did win it in the auction... of course, our family are a bit awnry and joke and tease each other constantly... so several of the other cousins ( one a sister to the cousin that made it actually ) couldn't let it go for cheap.... kept bumping it up... each time all of the rest of the family just laughed more and more.... Mom ended up paying $25 for it in the end, but the memories it'll bring and not to mention the laughter it brought during the auction made it worth every penny.... BTW... Dad is stoked about it also :)

trainrider06

That's a nice story Randy very much enjoyed it! I miss family reunions, we used to have them every 4th of July. Fond memories of those out by the lake, great home cookin pots of food brought out by everyone.
That was a very nice thing about the cane also, we can alway and should always appreciate, and learn how good we got it because of those older people living and not with us anymore!

Speaking of family things, does anyone know or remember what "script" was? My dad kept some of that from his and my grandfathers days of working the coal mines in Harlan Ky. My dad worked the mines from the time he was 14, to 21, then serving in combat in Korea, worked the mines a short time when he returned and just one day walked out of em got my mom and headed to Ohio for the factory work.
The mines eventually claimed him when he died in 2007 from black lung.
I now have that script, as well one of the original Union contract books when they unionized in the 40's.
As well I have some of his tools that I hold dear, and use them from time to time. Always think of him when I do and remember how he always loved to tinker with things. I suppose that's where some of these damn heli's hook me, because I enjoy building and getting them to fly as much as flying em. I wasn't into the hobby when he was still alive but I know he would have loved em too.

Oh well Tony, these things happen!

Well i've had a weekend spent in hospitals and Dr's surgeries.
Really not a weekend that I want to relive.
My son is still quite ill... had a fever of 40 (approx 104F).
He's got some sort of head cold, and he just can't shake it. Fever, coughing until he spews... just not having a great run this past few days. Got out of hospital at 2.30am this morning... but averaging 4hrs sleep all weekend. Starting to feel it!
Anyway that's enough about me!
Well here's hoping I get my thingo approved, and I can get out and enjoy the time out at the field!

Tony

Staff member
Horrible about your boy, hope he gets better soon. I once had a fever of 106ºF. I was hella sick, almost dead. My body was cooking itself. Not only did I think I was dying, I was hoping I was. That was the worst. As you see, it does get better. Just have to hang in there.

murankar

Staff member
Today was about to kill me. On my freaking heck. So I spent most of the day on a roof, not to do roofing. A customer wants a fire place removed and let me tell yeah its not as easy as it sounds. It was so bad we had to use an electric jack hammer to bust up the concrete that was used to form the newer section of the chimney. What had happened was the roof was remade in to a peak instead of a flat roof. the original chimney was extended to stick out the new roof, its a code thing. Anyhow the new part was poured concrete, dirt, cinder block, gravel a vainer. So in comes the jackhammer.

If you want a chimney removed be prepared to spend some bucks. This is a super labor intensive job and will kick anybodies butt. I am about ready for bed here shortly.

murankar

Staff member
That would have been nice, but the rental place was all out. Besides we were trying to save the house.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That would have been nice, but the rental place was all out. Besides we were trying to save the house.

Concrete saw called "The Partner." Then just cut it down in section. Just a thought. You probably have it done by now.

murankar

Staff member
yes the hard part is done. now its just red brick and mortar. Oh and yes the home owner is trying to save the house, LOL.

trainrider06

Today was another buttox burner! All day in the heat bags bags bags bags bags never ending humid sticky yucky! My only entertainment was when I got a break, I went out in front of the terminal to smoke, and there was this obviously crazy lady out there, she was waving her arms talking about I'm not sure what (I kept my distance) then she began talking to the wall. I understood this particular action perfectly when I thought how sometimes getting something through my wife's head was....
Anyway, as I smoked I watched her, but didn't make eye contact, because I didn't want to have her come over and make conversation, or possibly stab me with a butcher knife, like some women in general like to do when they hate all men on any given day! I thought about how sad that was, though...,a terrible place to be put in where your mind tells you things, or a dog, cat, or in her case this wall seemed to be conversing pretty well with her. A terrible thing.
I see people like that a lot out there, mostly homeless, they have figured out that they can ride the "Dart rail" public transportation from the inner cities or Dallas, and act like a passenger then sleep in the luggage claim area. A few started screwing it up for them by getting the idea of claiming unclaimed luggage not yet picked up by the agents and making off with it.
Heck they started making off with everything that wasn't tied down! Police started finding people discarded luggage looted and laying under some bridge in Dallas, and wheel chairs with DFW airport labels on them as well. They used to let them stay over night in these areas in from the heat, and cold, until this started to take place. It got tiresome for employees that walked through the areas and having people bumming cigarettes, and money from them. I felt bad for a few of them, one lady she always you could tell tried her best to look presentable, she always wore a different dress every day, although you could tell it was a hand me down dress, they were always clean and presentable. She was probably in her 60's, would always be drawing pictures on this book of paper, doing pencil sketches. She was quite talented I noticed when I'd stop to chat with her. I would bring her a nice cold soda or water for her as well a sandwich, as well a couple of cigarettes. I often thought that maybe I should offer to let her come to the house for a night just so she could feel warm/cool/and safe for at least one night. But I never did, I don't see her anymore, the airport had them all run off, and the Dart police as well the DFW police regularly patrol the area now to keep them out. It was getting out of hand there towards the end, there would be 20-30 of them laying in the floors and in the passenger chairs (this is the Un secure side of the terminal by the way).
I sure hated to see people like that sweet old lady having to be run off from there though.

Well that's the end of a long week... time spent in Dr's offices and hospitals... well he's on the mend, and becoming his cheeky self again...
But my little first world problem, I can't get my damn internet to work fast enough so I can watch the time trial at the tour de france. Bad enough I couldn't get to watch someone i wanted to watch, due to the race not being televised until after he'd gone through, but I just can't get it to work at all...
Frustrating

trainrider06

glad to hear he is doing better Jonathan! Yeah sometimes this "high speed internet" that is advertised is a crock of out house droppings!

murankar

Staff member
Another round of pulled pork is cooking for tomorrow. Just pulled it off the grill and started the slow cooker. Oh man this is going to be good.

Tony

Staff member
Man it feels good to be able to do some work on my big computer again. Maybe I should put this computer in the truck...

trainrider06

Man it feels good to be able to do some work on my big computer again. Maybe I should put this computer in the truck...

You mean a full size PC computer? I still like the old tower PC's this dang new one I got I don't care for! All it is is a laptop with a monitor stuck on the top! Doesn't even come with any DVR/RW drives in it! my old XP tower lasted like 12 years! Worked great! and had all kinds of drive slots on it!

Top Bottom