Off Topic Chit Chat

Tony

Staff member
So I fired up my old FreeNAS system that I had out in the barn (router, or bridge as it were, died on me so I couldn't connect to it). I brought it in the house and fired it up. It was telling me that I had a drive failing. Considering these drives are at least 5 years old for the newest one, I would imagine so lol.

All I'm trying to do is get enough space to backup my C drive on my lappy so that I can install the OS again. The computer is slow as hell and I really dont' want to take the time to clean it out. So a fresh install of the OS is needed. However, I have two drives in that computer. a 750GB that came with it that I now use as a secondary drive, and the hybrid 1TB drive (hybrid, for those that don't know is a HDD [Hard Disk Drive] as well as an SSD [Solid State Drive]). Well, the 750GB is completely full so I can't use that to backup the C drive. And the C drive is about 75% full.

What I really need is about 6 2TB drives so that I can run them in RAID6 (double parody) in this NAS machine (NAS is Network Attached Storage). This would allow me to lose two drives and still keep my information since the parody is written across all drives (again, this is for those that don't know). So how about it, anyone have this many drives laying around? Randy??? :biggrin1:

I did decide to add another drive to the NAS (200GB). This brought me up to 1.47TB of storage which I should be able to use to backup the lappy long enough to reinstall the OS (factory image, I'm tired of playing, for now). The problem with this is, I have two 500GB drives, a 400GB drive and the 200GB drive. Because they are not all the same size, I have to run this in Stripe (or RAID1). Meaning the information is written across ALL drives and if I lose one, I lose everything (been there done that when I first started playing with computers). So this is VERY temporary!!! Only long enough to put a new install on the lappy.

But seriously, if you have any HDD's laying around (I would take 500's at this point, I just need something to backup these computers right now. I can make it larger later with a new system. Everyone knows I have enough old computers laying around to get the job done...) let me know. For now, I'm resetting the NAS back to factory and starting over creating the volumes, accounts, shares and so on. Going to take about an hour, then I should be able to start on the lappy.

Tony

Staff member
Well, here is some more... I have decided to upgrade the FreeNAS system to the latest stable version. For this, I needed at least 8GB of ram (which is stupid for a file only system) and I need an 8GB flash drive (to install the OS). However, the ONLY flash drive that I can use (my others have a bunch of crap on them) won't format in windows 7. I went into diskpart and found my disk with list disk. I selected the disk then gave the command "clean" and it couldn't do it.

Without confusing you more (lol), I ended up having to put it in another computer, selecting the disk, selecting the partition, deleting all partitions, then reformatting the disk in hopes that it works. But it's stuck on one line and will not move past it. This is really pissing me off. Wasting all day on this damn thing. Maybe if I kick the ever loving crap out of it... More on this later if I can get it to work.

RandyDSok

The spelling police say...

You mean "parity" .... "parody" is... well it's a joke ( seriously it is ) :)

As for HDD's... anything 500Gb and larger doesn't stay around long unless their faulty or dead, then they still don't since they'll hit the round file faster than... well pretty quick :D

I see little use with having a RAID anything unless you are going to also keep spares of all the parts or at least a spare controller. If the controller fails and you don't have an exact replacement... all that redundancy goes out the window. If a client isn't willing to spend that type of cash and get duplicated parts, I recommend that they just get an additional drive ( actually two preferred ) and do image/clone backups to the other drive often.

8Gb USB flash drives are so common... you may even find one at your local convenience store... possibly even for under $10 ( which is the most they are worth these days but of course the convenience store markup must still be considered ).

Tony

Staff member
Yes, I meant parity lmao. I just made a 'parody' of it :biggrin1:

And I was able to get the 8GB drive to format correctly (I think I had it set for an ISO file, can't remember) and I installed 9.10 on it, but it would not detect my NIC. So I'm putting 9.3 on it now which seems to be the preferred version. If that doesn't work, then I will go back down to 9.2 and jack around with those damn settings to get it to show up on my computers... I hate 9.2.

And I found some 2TB drives for $40 each. They are refurbished, but the reviews are great on them. Now I just need the money... And yes, 8GB drives are a dime a dozen.

Tony

Staff member
Anyone want to loan me $240 for some HDD's? lmao. Yea, 16TB for $240. I'm tipping the couch up!!!

trainrider06

Anyone want to loan me $240 for some HDD's? lmao. Yea, 16TB for $240. I'm tipping the couch up!!!

That made me remember when I used to live in North Carolina, and this corny loan commercial local produced evidently, anyway they showed these people about as.....well lets say Hillbilly as hell, standing in front of some car that shoulda been in the junk yard,
shaking their heads saying "I just don't know wur I am gonna git money to fix this car," then some clown in one of those cheesy cheap sport jackets appears, says call Mr. Cash he can help! And of course at the end here is this family standing there with their thumbs up in front of this new car (that they will never ever ever pay off) sayin thanks Mr. Cash! They would run a few different ones, I got so where I looked forward to the latest premiere of the Mr. Cash commercials....
When you find a lender, let em know I would like to do a reverse mortgage on my home! Not really LOL

Tony

Staff member
The way this world is going, I'm going to quit my job just so I can carry my .45 with me everywhere I go. 3 more officers dead in BR LA and at least 3 more injured. I have no words right now other than being completely pissed off.

Tony

Staff member
I want to say some other things on this, but not here on the forum. There is some complete BS that people are not seeing, and turning a blind eye to the issues is only going to make it worse. Damn I want my 230g buddy with me...

trainrider06

There is definitely two sides to these kinds of things, one media, that is slanted one way or the other, two people who always wanna blame some one for their problems, I believe that most people in this country have more brains in their heads to see that these problems are not just some Conspiracy against any certain group, as always there is a faction of those that like to stir the pot. Hopefully these people are not allowed to continue on with their agendas....

So much to do and not enough time to do it!
Had my short course truck up to fix up and get going, been inside for two weeks now, and haven't done a thing.
I only have a few things to do, but it's really getting to me that I haven't had the time to do it
I haven't had the time to do anything that i've really wanted to do in terms of fun lately.
Hoping this weekend will throw up something different, but not holding my breath

- - - Updated - - -

So much to do and not enough time to do it!
Had my short course truck up to fix up and get going, been inside for two weeks now, and haven't done a thing.
I only have a few things to do, but it's really getting to me that I haven't had the time to do it
I haven't had the time to do anything that i've really wanted to do in terms of fun lately.
Hoping this weekend will throw up something different, but not holding my breath

Top Bottom