Off Topic Chit Chat

RandyDSok

Got a new lens for my camera on order, should be here on Monday. This will be a Samyang 14mm f2.8 wide angle fully manual lens. This is also sold under the Rokinon and Bower brand names, same lens just a different name on them. The reviews I've read really praise this one... it's relatively cheap ( $265 ) and typically compares as sharper than either Canon's ( $2100 ) or Nikon's ( $1900 ) that have auto focus features, so I'm pretty stoked to get it. It should be a great landscape and night sky lens ( think Milky Way shots and similar ).

I hoping to get a good chance to use it next weekend when I'm taking my folks out to see my Mom's cousin or aunt for a BD party. They live out by Black Kettle National Grasslands just this side of the Texas border. Hopefully I'll find a nice spot with a tree, some hills or abandoned building. Unfortunately it will probably be in the afternoon ( not the best sunlight ) so I'm hoping for a few clouds to help make it more interesting.

Samyang.jpg

RandyDSok

That looks like an awesome lens. Can't wait to see some shots from it!

They make it with a Canon mount ( and many others ) also but it doesn't include the AE chip on that one. Another nice thing is made for full size sensor camera's ( and obviously works fine for crop sensors like ours ), so if we ever go full frame ( not likely for me with my budget ) it can still be used.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
That's awesome rdsok. The wife and i love your photography, especially the wife. She's into all that stars, meteor showers, lunar/solar eclipse. She still waiting on the little green or gray men from another planet to visit lol. Can't wait to see the pictures with the new lens. Enjoy!

Tony

Staff member
Went out today to purchase me some new work boots and a new pair of sunglasses. Came hope empty handed. The boots, no one makes a good set of work boots anymore. Either they are steel toe and seem good or they are composite toe and look horrible and fit horrible. I'm tired of steel and will only wear composite. So crapped out there. The glasses, dudes straight up lied to me two weeks ago and went back on their word today. I'm done with that company and have destroyed their credit card. I will shop online from now on for my glasses. Not a good day, not in a good mood, where the hell is my bottle!!!!

murankar

Staff member
Finally the Rogue is almost fixed, well 96% fixed. The CV Axle get installed on Thursday. As for the rear brakes, watch the video over at Broke Auto. If you dont want to hear me ramble about the whole ordeal just skip to15 minute mark or so.

leedude1

Hey gents how's everyone... went to a funfly the other day and saw a 15 or 16 year old local pilot (with SAB I think ) Kevin Ste-Cyr, man go figure I'm 4x his age with a 1/4 of his talent...lol :loser::lol:

murankar

Staff member
thats how it goes. You should have seen Dunkin Bosion about 3 years ago. This he was just a new kid on scene and killing it. Him and his brother would finsh 1st and second places.

RandyDSok

Yesterday I ended up sending back the lens I'd ordered. The one I got had some QC issues and wouldn't achieve focus on distant objects. I'll re-order at some point later but I was hoping to be able to use it this weekend when I went out to the national grasslands.

Tony

Staff member
Nope, my computer is under my desk. This is my server (thanks to @rdsok for giving it to me!!!) that I use to play around with. I had all of the drives on top of it inside it so that I could play with ESXi and mounting drives and such. But, the drives were getting hot since they were all in the top slot and the fan was in the bottom slot and I had to do some cable management to get them lower down where the fan is.

I am thinking about taking ESXi off of it especially now since I have no idea what drive was the boot drive lmao. I can always reinstall it if I need to. I'm sure I had a lot of bloat in there. This was also my practice VM where I had Plex running, but only had one season and a few movies in it. Now, I have another server setup for Plex so I don't need it on this one anymore.

I would like to find another CPU and cooler for this server though. It only has one in it now. And I'm also running 16GB of ECC memory in here as well. Has worked perfect!!! But it pulls about 1.5 amps while running and just under an amp at idle. Need to work on that if I want to keep this on as a full time server in my house.

murankar

Staff member
Look at Zen for virtualization. It has a minimal host like centOs and all it does is run VMs. It could be spelt xen also.

Tony

Staff member
I don't really need a VM for much unless I'm playing around. Crap, I forgot that I had actual backups of different sites on those drives lol. Oh well, guess they are now gone for good!

RandyDSok

What CPU and type socket does it have? ... I don't remember anymore...

If I can remember to, I'll look around at the shop next week to see if I've got another compatible one ( if you let me know what to look for )

Tony

Staff member
This server is the HP Proliant ML150 G5 with the Xeon E5410 CPU. The CPU is pretty cheap at only $20, it's that cooler that kills it lol. They range anywhere from $40 to $150 just for the cooler. And sadly, I have this thing maxed out on RAM at 16GB. Wish I could add more, DDR2 is cheap!!! lmao

Oh, and it is a 771 socket. Very odd lol.

RandyDSok

This server is the HP Proliant ML150 G5 with the Xeon E5410 CPU. The CPU is pretty cheap at only $20, it's that cooler that kills it lol. They range anywhere from $40 to $150 just for the cooler. And sadly, I have this thing maxed out on RAM at 16GB. Wish I could add more, DDR2 is cheap!!! lmao

Oh, and it is a 771 socket. Very odd lol.

Dang... I should have charged you double what I did for that one... LMAO

I'm pretty certain I don't have any Xeon 771's lying around unless the workstation I got in the other day has one ( unlikely but I'll look Tues ).

Top Bottom