450 new to heli's, first build

murankar

Staff member
That was the only adjustment I made. I also stepped down in 5% increments until I got responsiveness. I should have it back up in a week or so.

well I made it to the store picked up the parts, and a set of align wrenches (I love them!) best $22 I ever spent.. I also picked up some align balls, with the hex on them.. they're awesome compared to the screw & ball type that HK supplies with the HK450pro.. the guy at the counter flys sligns, and told me if I had any other issues to bring the heli with me, and they could help me adjust everything.

a got the parts, and a spare set.. so i headed home.. got home at 11am, and proceeded to repair the heli.. luckily I had almost everything set out to install, short of bolting on the main blades, flybar paddles, and adjusting the pitch at half throttle.. also i re-programmed the ESC as I believe it did'nt know my full throttle throws.. and I guess I was right.. works excellent now.. installed new (fiberglass) main blades, new main gear, new main shaft, new feathing shaft, new flybar shaft, new bushings, greased up head bearings, and put all new ball linkages on the head.

took it out for a spin up.. the head is SUPER smooth past idle speed.. at 1/2 throttle seems to have WAY more power & head speed... the swash I re-adjusted.. seems it was tilting to the rear.. now it's completely flat.. did'nt try to lift off as it was dark.. and I want to be in an open area.. and I had taken the practice gear off to do the repairs... pics tomorrow... maybe video.....

Last edited:

Morelight

Fearless Freep
like Gaba said Video. You have got me just itching for my 450Pro kit to come in so I can build and fly as well. Sounds like you are really learning from this.:encouragement:

Tony

Staff member
Good deal that you got everything figured out, adn when doing a new ESC, always reprogram your stick end points. Sounds like you are on yoru way to getting it in the air. Can't wait to see the video :biggrin1:

well took it for it's maiden flight.. had it stable for about 5 seconds.. somethings up with the tail rudder.. and then I broke the plastic landing gear... I tried to take off again.. and this happened....

[video=youtube_share;dKUAuWrF9wA]http://youtu.be/dKUAuWrF9wA[/video]

here it is in the air!! before losing the blades....
[video=youtube_share;qDOgXHFHB0s]http://youtu.be/qDOgXHFHB0s[/video]

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I have had that happen twice. Lock tight, tight screws and ample dry time for the lock tight. also ensure that the metal is clean of oil and residue. So far after a third reassemble I have not lost my blades yet. These need to be secured really well. After tightening make sure the blade grips move freely, if not check the bearings.

The threads loosened on one of the blade grip screws... I had used red loctite. But I guess it was old stuff... Going to use nail polish remover and some new red threadlocker.. Luckily I only lost 1 of the copper thrust washers.. The bushings/rubber dampers stayed on the shaft & on the t-frame...

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, that head can hurt when it comes apart, just ask Paul lmao. As for the tail, you need to add more pitch to the rudder. You can do this with sub trim, but I would do it by sliding the servo, unless you are using a 26g servo, then I would again, use sub trim lol. Good luck and make sure to keep that tail pointed towards you at all times when learning. Don't be afraid of that rudder stick.

Lee

Can i ask why the heli is spinning like a top? Something is not set right with your tail, or you are already trying piro tricks LOL :D

Tail rudder pitch was off and I was trying to setup without the gyro haven't done the hot-glue mod to it yet.... When I was running it with thegyro I was getting severe tail wag before even lifting off and then the gyro would go into a fail-safe mode then reboot.. Hoping the mod works for my hk401b... Basically you POT the entire gyro electronics in hot glue....

After the Easter egg hunt I'm getting some new loctite red, installing the gyro with the hot glue mod.. We'll see.. Gotta fix the landing gear up....

Lee

I've modded 4 of those giros. just glue the joins between the boards to stop them moving, and the wires too. I wouldn't advise trying to fly the heli at all without a gyro. You were lucky it came down without more damage.
Good Luck :D

oh I damaged the landing gear.. I'm trying to repair it... but I think I need new landing gear.. the plastic ones that came from HK cracked and broke...

took it out for a fligt today before work.. perfect conditions... and.... well my fiberglass blades literally snapped and flew off.. cheap HK originals.. luckily I still have a set of CF blades.. last set!! yikes!! I set it up again... new flybar shaft (the heli tipped over, and whacked both paddles, and bent shaft after blades broke).. so i have few replacement parts.. need it to hover tomorrow... or I am without parts to repair it for another flight...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Wait!! The blades snapped?? How's that possible?

I fly sport and nominal 3d with those... Were they too tight? Did you have a blade strike?

Top Bottom