450 new to heli's, first build

the scorpion 45Amp ESC was $80... not too bad.. now I have the Turnigy 40amp as a spare, or can use it in a plane.. thinking I want to build a foamy... just need a motor & mounts.. I have 2 spare servos for the heli..

Tony

Staff member
Oh, yeah that's a good ESC. Pair that with one of the Scorpion motors, and you will have more power than you know what to do with lmao. Great brand.

I was looking at better ESC's, and I found this one.. not a bad price, and I like how it programs.. really easy.. just plug in the module, and hit a few buttons.. simple..

ok so i went to the local hobby shop... they have a row of heli parts... nice!!! picked up a Lipo bag, align CF tail boom, boom servo mounts aluminum (align), tail control rod kit, practice gear for 450, blade pitch guage, rc heli's magazine.. I also broke down and got the GF her Parrot AR Drone.... it flies ok... but with only 1000mah it only flies for about 5-10 minutes.. works ok.. just have to get used to flying it with the iphones accelerometer, and internal gyros..

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Isn't there a way to kill the iphone gyro's and use virtual sticks? I thought there was. Either way, sounds like a nice bird.

Lee

I'm seriously tempted to get the MCQX to throw around. BNF to my DX8 should be a laugh.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, I have thought the same thing Lee. I wonder how much weight that little guy can lift...

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, unfortunately my keychain likes to over heat even though I have put an external heat sink on it. Need to order another one so I can take better video. And this time, not jack with the firmware hahaha.

it has it's own cam... and using the iphone you can record wonderful crashes like this....

yes I crashed it.. it lost connectivity to the iphone, and drifted with the wind into the trees... that'll teach me to remove the altitude limiter on it... now I have to go back to my sisters tomorrow and fish the foam bumpers out of the tree..

I hope to post some "better flying" later on..

the camera takes great pictures/video, but is a bit grainy at large format. the bird can apparently handle a GoPro.. but I think it needs a bigger battery pack... only comes with a 1000mah liPo @11.1v the stock charger takes 30-45 minutes to balance charge it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Sucks about the bumper lol. I do like it though. Post up a link to what you are flying so we know exactly what it is. sounds like a lot of fun.

it's the Parrot AR Drone, it's not V2.0... it is extremely stable in flight.. just let off the screen and it just floats.. uses a sonar system, and camera on bottom to track it's position..

Tony

Staff member
I can see lots of ways this could be helpful. If I remember a review, you can fly this in either a X or a + pattern, correct? Ugh, people made me purchase the DX8, not you are going to really make the wife mad by making me get this hahaha.

I was experimenting with it tonight.. apparently the app I got for it (cost $5.99) allows you to execute programmed moves... spins, up and downs.. and wobbles by hitting a simple side button, as well as change the LED configuration.. they flash either green, red, or yellow, in different sequences. the video is ok.. but not great.. a bit grainy.. I have heard of people attaching gopro heros to these, and flying them with say a 2200mah 12v liPo. for the extra run time/power. just seems the parrot does'nt want to lift much more than a few ounces.. but there's definitly been some major design & bug fixing work into this beast..

the next mod I'm think of is using my DX6i to control it. and making it swappable.. but we shall see...

ooohhh!! the HK is almost here.. checked the tracking.. it's in rockland... 1 town over should be out for delivery tomorrow!!!!

ok so I picked up the box saturday morning from the post office as they wanted signature upon delivery.. crappy... well this is what I got...

IMG_0639.jpg

the box looked like it had been though a soccer game, and made the winning goal.. but I trudged through the hatred of delivery services that damage my packages.. especially ones with a BIG RED & WHITE "FRAGILE" sticker on it.... the lady at the post office looked at me like I was stupid to think a package should arrive unharmed..

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

got scared when i saw the charger box with a nice dent in it... luckily all was good.. all 4 ports work, and was able to charge 1 battery at a time until I made a new plug, and swapped out the battery plugs with deans connectors.

IMG_0645.jpg

our cat gizmo enjoyed the boxes..

IMG_0648.jpg

and after a LONG day of juggling kids, hanging out with friends, and the 4 hour long matchbox car race (will post some pic if you want to see it)

IMG_0649.jpg

that was at 5:20am... I had started around 9:30pm

here she is....

IMG_0650.jpg

need to adjust the pitch linkages, (check pitch angle with my new pitch angle finder), and fix a few things up before flight, but shes in running order right now, have a fresh battery ready to go.. will try a spool up tomorrow..

Morelight

Fearless Freep
great pictures. that was a little over 8 hour build time? did Ace Ventura deliver the package? why do cats always have to crinkle paper/plastic and then lie down in every open box?

fatigue is your enemy. double or even triple check critical areas and good luck.

Tony

Staff member
If that cat was all black, it would be just like mine hahaha. And hes, post the other pics.

There is one major issue I see with the build. With DXMX it's not as bad, but you still need to move the Rx's away from the motor. The satellite is in perfect position, and I highly doubt you will ever have any issues, but I always put mine in the back on one side, and the satellite on the other. The motor and ESC give off the most energy to interfere with the RX. Just something to note.

Otherwise, that looks great man, can't wait to see it in the air. About the package, you will see that almost every time you order from any of the china dealers, including hobbypartz and such.

I had such an issue with soldering it was'nt even funny.. definitely need a fly tie-ing stand to hold the connectors.. and an electric soldering iron.. I was using a butane gas micro-torch with soldering attachment. it worked, but I wasted soo much time with cold solder joints, not to mention having to fill the torch every 10 minutes.. yeah I was'nt sure about the reciever.. was trying to keep it out of the way, but also spread them apart to get a good signal.. guess I can re-locate to the rear..

Top Bottom