450 new to heli's, first build

Tony

Staff member
Oh those soldering torches are great for the field, but suck at home lol. You need a good soldering station. I use the Hakko 936 and LOVE it. Works great.

ok, so I took the heli for it's maiden hovering attempt.. I programmed the ESC, setup with low level braking, and a good pitch of +5* at half throttle, and in 3d mode 10* at half throttle.. well it would'nt even lift up.. it got lighter and had a little lift, but just seemed like there was'nt enough head speed, or pitch in the blades to lift off..

the motor is a 2212 turnigy typhoon. 45AMP Scorpion ESC, and Turningy 3S 2200 2.2 35c-75c nanotech's...

Tony

Staff member
+5º at mid stick? You should be at 0º at mid stick and +10º at full stick. Set your throttle curve to 0 25 50 75 100, and your pitch curve to 45 47.5 50 75 100. Make sure at mid stick, you have no pitch at all. Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
Correct. With the settings I have above, it will be the same in F-Mode or Normal from mid to high stick. F-Mode just has a lot more negative pitch.

ok... all set now.. at 0* at half stick... will have to test out tomorrow.. late, and batteries are'nt charged...

I hooked up the HK401B gyro... seems to work ok.. but it cuts out... re-initializes.. then works again... brownout??

Morelight

Fearless Freep
I don't know about the way the ESC is programmed. are you certain you want any braking on at all? material I've looked at suggests zero. Tony and gang can you provide your wisdom on ESC programming please. Even a vid sticky on how to do it?

ok.. was just figuring it'd be nice to put a gentle #2 (have adjustable 1-5 braking 1=no brake, 5=hard brake) brake on the heli to slow down the motor should the "BAD" happen...

I attempted a quick flight with the gyro installed.. whoa nelly!!! huge tail wagging and I was'nt even in the air yet.. disconnected the gyro.. spin up was SMOOTH as glass.. and as rpms built to 50% I could see it was a much higher head speed.. I'm guessing with the pitch angle at 5* at 50% the motor had no way to get the head speed up higher... but once the head speed is up I can adjust the angle easily without the strain on the motor.. will post a vid from the i-phone tomorrow of test flights..

ok, so I did all the things I set out to do.. re-programmed the ESC, and took it for another maiden flight on the back deck... was dark out and I needed the deck lights.. spun up really good, and was then trimming up the controls.. had the rudder under control, and proceeded to up the throttle.. got about 1.5 inches off the ground and got close to hitting myself.. re-positioned, and tried again.. this time it was all over the place like my control inputs did nothing for the swash control.. so I set it down.. checked my linkages, and tried again.. this time I gave it 50% throttle waited for the head speed, and motor to catch up.. once it got a bit light I tried rudder inputs.. it spun.. then when trying to stop the spin I over-corrected and the heli went tail first spinning wildly into a pressure treated 4x4 post... the post took some damage, but the rotor blades were cracked near the head.. the flybar bent, the feathering shaft bent, the main shaft bent.. and I killed the counter rotation shaft (the thin walled piece of tube that connects the main gear with the counter-rotation gear, and 2 of the ball mounts that are attached to the blade grips, the threads broke off in the grips (can possibly drill out)

luckily I have most of these parts on hand.. feathering shaft, main shaft, flybar shaft,.... only parts I need to get are the rubber bushings or dampers on the feathering shaft (the crash destroyed 2 of them somehow...) new blade grips, and that piece of the main gear assembly... might make a trip to ray robbins tomorrow.

Morelight

Fearless Freep
very very sorry to hear about that mishap Scott. its one thing to "incident" a micro up trying to fly it, but a new 450 or bigger is the heebie jeebie time for me. looking forward to seeing a video of you having fun flying her.

murankar

Staff member
I have to make a repairs every hover almost. I too had almost no response on cyclics myself. All I did was reduce the expo to 20%, got more response that way.

I'm not suprised I crashed... just mad I didn't have all the parts needed to rebuild the head... nor the one way bearing assembly..

Morelight

Fearless Freep
awesome I'll give that a try Matthias. did you have to change any other settings to tame her down a bit? I watched a vid yesterday where a guy turned out all the swash links 3 turns and he said it stabilized the mCPx. any thoughts or experiences with that as well anyone? i imagine some of you think i may be a little keen on this flying thing. but i've always wanted to fly real life machines and can't as i was blinded in one eye in an accident when i was 17. no depth perception means i'll never be a pilot, so this is a bucket list/over 50 thing now lol. thankfully i can scratch off wifey leaving for a d-bag. 11 years single now, and probably better off. not much selection for quality women up here i can tell you. they is all packing more baggage than Paris Hilton going on a trip for 6 months.

Tony

Staff member
Extending the swash links on teh mcpx is going to raise the swash and give you a little more lift, without tx input. I tried it, and ended up moving back to stock.

One key thing to remember, these things like open areas. They like to move around. If you get an open area, things like this wont' happen. Hope you get it back together soon!

Morelight

Fearless Freep
yeah I'll have her back together soon, just waiting for parts I ordered last week to come in this week. did your package arrive yet? it was in Ok City at 6am today, and I checked your home on google maps.. its not far from the city.. let me know ok? I'm worried somebody was ***king with it, and that was the delay reason. better be no damn duty on it neither.

Tony

Staff member
If it was in OKC this morning, it should be here today. Along with my mcpx brushless conversion as well hehe. So your not the only one that's crashing heli's today hahahaha. I will let you know.

well I didn't go to the hobby store today.. going in the AM.. now to sleep so I can drive the 2 hours and get the parts to fix the bird... maybe a few spares....

Top Bottom