Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Yes the matchbox has a spot to put an aux battery on it saving the RX from over drawing it. You hook up a bat to the box and run your signal wire from the RX to the box. Then you can run up to four servos of the box. Horizon sells them in three packs too. All you have to do is look. They are a lot cheeper that way.

Also you can reverse servos and adjust travel limits on them. If you are running that many servos they are a must. I can see though that building a foamy you might not want to spend the cash. But if you were building a actual model, you would want to do it right. It's up to you.

Derek

I hear ya. I've got it set up for 10 servos right now, but I did forget about a steerable tail wheel. Something that you and I have talked about was using 1 servo for each aileron (cutting the count down to 8 servos). The torque on the servos that I have is 10kg.

Here is the link for the servos if you wanna see:

HXT 10kg Servo (metal gear) 55g / 10kg / .16sec (USA Warehouse)

These servos aren't the actual servos that I ordered, but these are the ones HK sent me. I ordered servos with 5.5kg torque. So, they gave me stronger servos for the price of the lesser. :)

I could probably cut down the overall length of my control surfaces a bit, too, to lighten the load a bit. Instead of my original intentions of 60", maybe go with 40" and just 1 servo each. That would help.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, that would help out. You can also use only one servo on the elevator if you can somehow connect the two sides. If you are running two on the rudder, take one of those off as well since the rudder is not much used on a plane. Not by me anyway unless I need it lol. I think we can cut these servos down to about half. You wil just need to move the rod to the inside hole on the servo, and the outside hole on the horn to give the most torque possible from the servo to the control surface.

Derek

Now, my elevator length is the full length of the horizontal stab...60 inches. Will this 1 servo be enough for that? The specs on the servo's say 10kg. According to "Google Seach" that is 22lbs. Having just the 1 servo on the rudder...I agree with you fully there. My rudder is 20" tall (I think, lol).

I just reread what you said about the elevator. You said, "...if you can somehow connect the two sides." That got me thinking. I'd need some kind of attachment that comes from the servo arm that would allow me to connect two push rods from the servo to two control horns. But, I think you are definately on the right track here. Damn I wish you lived closer, lol.

so...1 aileron servo on each side, shorter ailerons, 1 servo for the rudder, and 1 servo for the elevator. Then I still have 1 servo for each spoileron. Giving me a total of 6 servos instead of 10. That's gotta be alot better and the scary thing is....I think I'm starting to comprehend what's going on here, lol.

Tony

Staff member
why are you wanting to run spoilerons? Those flip up forcing the plane into a high alpha state. You want flaps that will create more lift and slow you down more than you want spoilerons. If it was a choice between those two, I would choose nothing, or flaps. And even then, I would only give it about 8º max.

The tail wheel can be driven off of the rudder. So no servo needed for that.

And a 5' elevator, holy hell.

Derek

I was more thinking that the spoilerons would be used to help me get the plane down land the plane. Maybe you're right...flaps or nothing.

As far as my elevator...did you see my video on the tail section yet? It shows how I made the tail and the size of the tail. Yeah...it's a bit BIG.

How can the tail wheel be driven off the rudder? My rudder is above my elevator.

Tony

Staff member
Let me think on that for a while. and I have not been able to watch those videos yet. Holidays suck when it comes to free time lmao.

Derek

No problem buddy! Thanks for your time tonight. I need to be heading to bed anyway. I'm off tomorrow and I'll be up all night, too. I'll be looking for ya.

Tony

Staff member
I will be here. If I can kick the wife out of bed soon enough in the morning, I will see about watching some of the videos to try and catch up. I do apologize for falling behind though.

Derek

Nah! There isn't anything for you to apologize about (sound familiar, lol). You've got your own life, too. I'm not gonna monopolize all your time, lol.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I did sit down this morning and update myself with the latest videos. I do remember us talking about the wing supports and that not only will you need the supports on the top side for when the plane is on the ground, but also on the under side for when the plane is in the air and the wing has to support the weight of the fuse and electronics. I kinda remember that tail section video as well now that I have watched it.

I like where you are going with this and you are making some really good progress. That motor is a monster and I think a 24" prop will get this thing in the air quite nicely.

I love that you put your wife on video, but I'm more interested in what she was working on just before putting away HER tools? Sounds like my kinda gal lol.

There is a lot more that I want to get into however I'm dead tired and I'm sure I would screw something up in my wording if I tried right now lmao.

I would like to point out to people that are watching these videos, these are a one take video then upload with little editing. Bro, you are doing better than me on camera. I do multiple takes, if not hundreds in a single video and there is about 10 hours or more of editing on each video. You being able to set down and do this is pretty good.

And again, having your wife support you in all of this is just amazing. I sure wish I could get my wife out there to help me out but she is back in school and time is very short that we have to spend together. So we do it inside lol.

I do think we need to rename this the RCH Albatros lmao. I do agree that it's a lot of white as you pointed out in your tail video and it needs some color.

Derek

I gotta say, Tony....renaming my plane the RCH Albatros is perfectly fine with me. I have no problem with that AT ALL!!! I surely have to give huge props to RCH and the serveral people that have helped me through this project. I did tell my wife that when this plane is done, I will have a section of the plane that displays RCH as well as the names of the people from RCH that have had a hand in this. I don't know where everyone lives that has helped, but there will be a part of them on my plane.

Yes, you and I did talk about the support lines on my plane. The plane needs the ground lines on the top of the plane to keep the wing up while it's on the ground as well as needing flight lines hooked up on the bottom to support the wing while in the air. I need to upload another video to show you what I've done in reference to this.

About my wife...she isn't real keen on being on video but it was a candid moment and I tend to NOT resist those, lol. She wasn't working on a project at the time of that video. She works at Harbor Frieght (gotta love it) and she just came home with a new driver set that she wanted to show me. The driver set is actually suppose to be hers, but I enjoy using it, lol. She likes the fact that I love this rc stuff. She likes that I love to scratch build. She knows that I like to "tinker" and build stuff instead of buying stuff. I bought her a fish tank last x-mas. Instead of buying a fish tank stand, I built her one and she absolutely loves it. She is very supportive of all that I do, even on the rare occassion when she has to be supportive from 20-30 feet away because I've decided to mix some black powder and blow something up, lol. Yes, it's very dangerous, but I've not been injured nor have I destroyed anything that I didn't want destroyed (knock on wood). My wife is my best friend and I couldn't ask for anything more because there is no such thing.

Yes, my videos are all "one take" videos with very little editting....VERY little editting. Even despite my stuttering and incoherant rambling, lol. I find it a bit weird to sit down and talk to nothing more than the camera but it's something that I quickly get over and before you know it, I'm rambling on and on and on, lol.

So, to sum this all up...RCH Albatros it is, no worries there....sounds perfect and very appropriate.

I'm gonna take the wife out to the theater to see the last Twilight movie. She really enjoys them and I gotta say....Ashley Greene (Alice, in the movie) is a hottie, lol

wolfman76

Hey derrick i will take pic of tail wheel gear wire on my p-51 to give you idea of what i believe tony was or whoever iy was is talking about i am at grocery store right now it is steerable

Tony

Staff member
Yeah I saw that tank sitting there in the corner. If you have not seen mine yet, go into the lounge and click on "Who's Into Saltwater". In there you will see all the troubles I have went through with this damn thing lmao. It's doing great now that I have my LED lights on it though. Just need to get my 110g put back together and get me some large angel's and lion fish hehe.

As far as naming it the RCH... I was mostly kidding lmao. But, this is your decision. If you want to put the RCH logo on it (I know you love to do stuff your self), the font that I used on the logo is Magneto Bold. It is a font that is included with Microsoft Word. Otherwise you have to buy it. If you have word, great. If not, we will have to work something else out. I would send you some decals, but I'm all out of red vinyl lol.

Derek

Thanks alot, wolfman! I'd appreciate a pic or two to get me started on that. I can't imagine that it's that hard. I'm just not seeing it in my head.

Tony

Staff member
You just run a rod down through the elevator to a wheel. With a 5" thick control surface, a small hole won't hurt it at all lmao.

Derek

Hey Tony! Kidding or not, I have no troubles at all adding the RCH. I actually find it quite appropriate considering all the help that I've gotten from RCH members. No worries there....it's a done deal!!! :) Yes, I have Microsoft Word and I think seeing "RCH Albatros" in Magneto Bold would look very cool. I'll have to work with my printer and see if I could get "RCH Albatros" printed out to a length of 3-4 feet, lol. This plane is just very plain and it could really use some "flare." Flare is good!!!

Also, I'm uploading another video to YouTube right now showing that I have my wing sections all closed up. I talk a bit about the wiring for the servos and also what we discussed last night about eliminating a few servos.

I'll be back online later on. My wife is not working tomorrow so she is still up right now. After she goes to bed, I'll be back.

Top Bottom