Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Derek

Yes, it is a very long wing. 20 feet 5/8" right now. No, it's not terribly wide. I was limited on the chord because of the overall length of the Dollar Tree foamboard. The foamboard measures out at 20"x30". The wing chord is 13 1/4" finished results. I could have gone a bit more but I knew that when I would fold the foamboard up and over the wing ribs I would lose some length. After getting the upper part of the wing folded over, I'm cutting off about 2". I will be adding 3-4" control surfaces to the wing later.

I'll be uploading another short video very soon showing my servo mounting plates and a few other things as well as a finished wing section. I managed to NOT ramble on much in this video so the video length is near 9 minutes.

Whirlybird

Whether this thing flies or not, you win the trophy Derek :banana: With each video, I am constantly amazed at your organization and detail :yahoo:

Do you fish????? Got a few poles on the ceiling :)

Lee

All i can say is WOW!!! Derek that is going to be an awesome bit of kit. I'm sure everyone is going to be on the edge of there seats for the maiden. Good luck with the rest of the build. I'll be watching :D

Derek

Thanks Whirlybird! Win, lose, or draw...this will be awesome!!! The "win" meaning that the plane flies well and I land it safely and fly it again and again. The "lose" meaning it doesn't even leave the ground or it flies and crashes tramatically. The "draw" means that the plane flies but comes down a bit hard and needs some repairs. I'm glad that you have taken the time to watch my videos and as far as "organization" and "detail"...I'm just trying to do the best that I can on the build, but I appreciate your kind words.

And yes, my wife and I love to fish. I have a total of 18 different rods and my wife has 4. I came up the the idea of using some inexpensive pieces of wood and hooked screws to hang the rods from the ceiling. It gets them out of the way, stored nicely and neatly, and still keeps them within arms reach.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks alot, Lee! I appreciate the kinds words. Yes, this will be an awesome sight to see....one way or another. While everyone is on the edge of their seats during the maiden flight, I sure do hope that we have several video cameras going. I want as many different angles as possible, including a camera that I will put on the plane...maybe two (one forward and one backward).

The butterflies are already starting to build in my gut, lol

Tony

Staff member
I just want to let you know that I'm a little short on my data with my cell but once I have time, I will be watching these at home. I have watched quite a few of them before, but none of the new ones. Glad you are pushing along with this. I think it will be epic even if it doesn't fly. But I'm sure it will.

Derek

ahhh, there you are, Tony! Thought maybe you had fallen off the Earth. It never occured to me to post video progress like I do on Youtube. "murankar" was kind enough to correct me on that. Then what happens? I flood this thread with video after video after video, lol. However, the videos have given a few others a view of what kind of a project that I am dealing with and they have flooded me with comments, compliments, and encouragement. I think there are a couple of people, on this site that have seen my videos, that wanna see this plane in the air more than I, lol.

Anyway, take your time getting to my videos. They'll be here when you get time and I'll post more progress as I get progress done. I have to work my usual 12 hour shifts Monday and Tuesday night and with any luck I won't get mandated overtime on Wednesday nor Thursday. As long as I don't get mandated, I should have the wing finished up within an hour or so. I was thinking that I'd mount the servo's on the rudder and elevator next just because those will be easy to do. Then, I'll need to make a trip to the hardware store for a pair of "L" bracket that I'll use for the motor mount. I'm sure I'll be back to talk with you, again, about some electronic issues. I'm hoping to order the two lipo's and Rx pack this week.

Take care buddy!

Derek

Yes, Mr. Dave is an amazing guy. He's very smart and clever. I'm a long time subscriber to his channel on YouTube. I've seen this fishing video many times and it just blows me away.

Tony

Staff member
Is it just me, or are his videos falling off from where they used to be? Don't mean to jack the thread, but I'm about to unsubscribe from him because he has been doing some pretty boring videos IMO.

And no worries on the questions, I'm here to help when they pop into your head :biggrin1:

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I too want o see this plane in the air. How big is the rest of the plane? It has to be long too I'm guessing.

Whirlybird

Is it just me, or are his videos falling off from where they used to be? Don't mean to jack the thread, but I'm about to unsubscribe from him because he has been doing some pretty boring videos IMO.

You do have a point Tony :yikes: I think he is distracted :dunno:

Last edited:

Derek

I hear ya, Tony! I'm not sure that I'm quite ready to unsub from him quite yet, but his videos have kinda fallen.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there, breeze! Yes, the rest of the plane is kinda long right now....108", but that will surely change when I'm hunting down the CG. I don't want this plane to be excessively long because "long" equals "weight." I still need to get a couple more electronix. I'm ordering two 6S 3000mAh lipo's that will be hooked up in parallel and an Rx pack. I still need to talk with you and Tony about these "Matchbox" things and I still need to order a prop. Can't seem to find that size prop around here. Other than those items, I think I have everything here. I am nearly done with the main wing so we'll get to start on the tail section and the fuselage really soon. Oh, one other thing...obviously considering the sheer size of my plane, this won't be "hand-launched" (insurance purposes, I'm sure), so I'll need to fashion up some landing gear. I've been thinking that I'll make these from fiberglass and I was looking at some decent lawnmower wheels at Lowe's the other day.

I"m working my usual 12 hour shifts from 6pm-6am tonight and tomorrow. Hopefully I can avoid the mandatory overtime and get working on the plane some more Wednesday and Thursday...then I gotta work again Friday-Sunday...ugh. So, it looks like you all get a bit of a break from me for a few days, lol, but be prepared...I'll be back to pick your brains again before you know it.

Thanks again to everyone that has helped me out with this project! I've learned a great bit. Although I've had a lot of fun working on this plane, it will be nice to get it done so that I can get back to my other planes that still need work, lol. I've got one in particular that I think will raise some attention.

Derek

Hi guys! I'd like to get back to this JR Matchbox. Maybe it's just my lack of sleep, and therefore slow reading-comprehension, but it sounds to me that this JR Matchbox is very similar to a "Y" servo connector. Am I wrong (probably, lol)?

Tony

Staff member
Yes and no. Yes, it connects up to 4 servos to a single channel on the Rx. However no because you can adjust each servo independently unlike you can with a Y harness. You can also power the matchbox to help save the other battery or strain on the Rx.

It's a very expensive little box and if you are running servos that are low enough amps, you can do this with a bunch of Y harnesses. But, if you are using full size servos, it may be good to split the load of all of them and help save the Rx from putting too many amps through it.

Derek

ahh, i see. It is most certainly an expensive little box. $70 each!!! it just about makes ya wanna cringe. you said that I can power the matchbox to help save the other battery...how so? I'm looking at the Horizon Hobby site, I see a possible slot for a battery, but there is a set of wires that comes from the "To Rx" slot as well at the "AUX/BATT" slot. It looks like a red wire coming from the "AUX/BATT" slot and the other two wires are in the other slot.

Here is the link if you wanna check out what I'm seeing.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/matchbox-servo-matching-power-system-JRPA900#t1

Derek

I'm not sure I can afford many more $100 parts. Let me ask you this...this plane, on the paralleled 6S 3000mAh setup, the 6.6V Rx pack (2000mAh 20-24C)......how big is the risk of something "bad" happening using just "Y" connectors with my servos?

Tony

Staff member
Refresh my memory on how many servos you are going to be running.

It doesn't really matter what the batteries can handle, it's what the Rx can handle. if you put too many amps from too many servos through the Rx, it will burn it up. And I have been looking and I can't find a damn thing stating what the max currant through the rx is. If it's 30, then you are fine running the Y harness'. But less than about 25 and you are risking it.

but I know what you mean about tired of tossing money into something. We may have to figure out a way to lower the number of servos that are going to go on this bird.

Top Bottom