Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Tony

Staff member
tell her she better or I will show you more toys you just can't resist :chuckles:

I have been told I'm good at getting people in trouble. I'm one of the most hated people on the planet when it comes to wives lmao.

Tony

Staff member
nope, I meant elevator. It will connect a rod to the rudder, but he will have to put a hole in the elevator for the rod to pass though to go down to the wheel.

Derek

Here is the next video showing the wing sections closed up and some upcoming chores to do.

- - - Updated - - -

There are so many toys out there right now that I want. If you think you can get me in trouble with my wife......lmao. I dunno dude...she's pretty forgiving.

Last edited by a moderator:

wolfman76

Here is photo of my plans on how it is setup and my wheel assembly

ForumRunner_20121214_024739.png

ForumRunner_20121214_024837.png

You still have some bending on the wire but maybe the photo of the plans gives you a better idea

ForumRunner_20121214_024739.png

ForumRunner_20121214_024837.png

Derek

Yeah, my wife is great. She's 7 years younger than me, but she's great!

I've spent the last few hours making "X" braces to go inside the fuselage tubes to add rigidity. I've got them done now and some are glued in place. The fuselage tubes are incredibly solid now.

I need to work on some thoughts for mounting the wing to the fuselage as well as mounting the motor to the plane. As far as the motor mounting...I'm thinking of getting some aluminum bar stock (1/8" thick and 4" wide) and bending it into a triangle, then mounting the motor towards the top of the outside (obviously) vertical side of the triangle. I'll put another thin plywood plate inside the fuselage at a strategic location with glue and some bracing. This plate will allow me to mount the triangular motor mount to the plane.

Plane.jpg

I hope I did that right. I made a "Paint" drawing of what I'm talking about. The black lines show the plane, itself. The red triangle represents the triangular mount that I'm thinking of making to mount the motor on. The blue represents that awesome Tacon Bigfoot 160 and prop.

Whatchya think???

Plane.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You know, I was thinking about how short that nose was and the issue you would have with CoG, but if you are making a pusher, that will solve most of those issue. The idea sounds good though on how you are wanting to mount it. If you can get everything bent the way you want, I think it will be perfect.

Derek

Yeah! The plan, from day 1, was a pusher plane. It's quite possible that I forgot to mention that. I have a God-given talent of landing a bit hard on the nose. That being said, a pusher just seemed the best way to protect the prop and motor. I can rebuild the nose for cheap. Would you have a suggestion on where to get a 22-24" prop? I've looked around a little bit and my results were less than impressive.

Unfortunately, I'm working Friday night thru Sunday night so my comments on here will be scarce and any progress on the plane will be halted. I'll get back to working on the plane next Monday. If possible, I would like to talk with you on the phone Monday or Tuesday night, Tony. I've got some jumbled thoughts in my head right now and I'll try to straighten them out over the weekend. I'll PM you my phone number or if you wanna PM me yours. It makes no difference to me. We'll each end up with the others phone number after the first call is made anyway (caller ID), so whatever is good for you.

I'm gonna go take out two of the 4 aileron servos right now then probably head for bed. Definately be sure to watch the most recent video that I uploaded tonight. I showed each wing section closed up and I even talked about our conversation about eliminating some servos.

Take care everyone and have a great weekend!

Tony

Staff member
If you want to talk, that's not an issue. I'm doing nothing those two nights but sitting here on my butt at the base lmao. And you may have mentioned this was going to be a pusher, I may have just missed it, it happens lmao. And I will watch the video when I get home. I have to go tomorrow and take this phone back. I'm having massive issues keeping a connection and it's just not going to work with running a website lol. Also this weekend I'm going to try to get some more videos done on the RCH Heli so I have some videos to edit next week. I may even be able to get some 3GX videos done if my link gets here. But I will make time to chat with you on the phone about your plans.

Lee

The anticipation is too much. When do you think it will be finished? I'm very excited, can you tell :D

Derek

Thanks Lee! I'm glad that you think the anticipation is a killer. How do you think I feel? I'm starting to see it take shape on my living room floor, lol.

As far as when it will be finished...I can't even give an educated guess yet. I'm going through the build process a bit slower than my normal scratch builds. Let's face it...this project is anything but NORMAL, lol. When I first decided that I was going to go through with this, I didn't know that there was going to be so many different things that I still needed to learn. I came across Tony, on YouTube, a few months back and started to talk with him about it. He was helpful and seemed to be very informative right from the start. He invited me to check out rchelp.com and to speed the story up....here I am getting all kinds of help and encouragement from quite a few people.

Tony made a "joking" comment to me the other day saying that I should add "RCH" to the name of my plane. I don't think he realizes just how much of a good idea I think that is. I think it could be very appropriate considering all the help that I've gotten from here.

Keep checking back, my friend! I'll post more progress as I get things done and for the maiden flight, I'm gonna have as many video recorders going as I can get.

Last edited:

Derek

Hi all! I'm gonna ask a question while I still have it in my head. I was looking over the specs for the Tacon Bigfoot 160 brushless that I bought from Hobbypartz and there is no listing for a suggested propeller to be used on this motor. I've seen some motors have a suggested prop. HobbyKing has a RotoMax 1.60 that has a suggested prop of 21x13 on 10S. However, when I looked at the "Product Reviews" for the Tacon motor, there is a guy that is flying a 17lb ESM Skyraider 10S pulling 2350 watts @58 amps with a 16x10 3 blade prop.

My initial thought was to have a 22-24" prop on my 160 but then I got thinkin.....that prop may be too much and I don't wanna spend the $31.00 on a prop, then have it actually be TOO MUCH, either for the motor or my plane. What do you think? Now that I think about it more...we probably won't even be able to come up with a "guess-timation" until we get an AUW of my plane. Am I right?

Tony

Staff member
The best way to do it is to get the prop and run a watt test on it. sitting static on the bench when applying throttle will net you more amps than when it's in the sky. It will also build more heat as well, so don't do it for long.

I know, you still have to buy the prop and yes it sucks. But that is the only true way other than reviews to do it correctly. If you want to start with a 20" prop, start with that one. May save you some cash.

Derek

Yep, I was afraid you were gonna say that. I remember some other posts that I've ready from you helping others...you were saying "trial and error." I was just hoping that you had devised a "special" way that would just tell me, lol. No worries. I'll just wait until I'm nearly done then weigh the plane parts, add the estimated weight of the lipo's, then check the reviews and then start guessing.

- - - Updated - - -

oooooo, i just noticed that I'm over 100 posts, lol :highly_amused:

Derek

That's a good idea, Lee! I forgot all about that. I have to leave for work soon, but I will make a sticky note to remind me to try the Drive Calculator.

Thanks!!!

Top Bottom