Projects New RC Project that has me stressing

Derek

Yeah, my wife is great! She is so much more than I deserve. She came to me a few weeks ago and asked if I could make a plane for her. You bet I can! It's nearly done right now. I should have her plane done tomorrow and if this damn rain every goes away, we might get a maiden flight in. She does pretty well on the simulator.

I'm still "hell-bent" to get this monstostity done and I hope that I can keep it around for a while and get multiple flights on it.....at least 2-3, lol. I just need to learn the parts that I need to learn. It would be great to be able to talk with you over the phone sometime, for sure. The communication would go SO much quicker than these thread posts, lol. I have no problem at all with talking at night because my work schedule is from 6pm-6am several days of the weeks and on my off days, I'm typically up at night anyway.

Headin' to the store now. I'm out of mountain dew. NOT GOOD!!!

Derek

Thanks for the link to the Match Box, breeze! I just looked it over. Unfortunatly, I'm awfully tired so I probably didn't comprehend much of what I read. I'll come back later on and check it out.

I can't wait to see this plane done. I'm gonna keep working on it until it is done and there will definately be "something to talk about" when it's in the air, lol.

I did find the name of another hobby shop that is just outside of town. I plan on checking them out today. Hopefully they are better than the closer hobby shop.

Whirlybird

Hey Mountaindew!!!!! Just caught on to your thread and must say you are one ambitious dude :hdbng: Where abouts in Indiana do you live? I'm 25 miles southwest of Chicago :) It would be neat to see this fly!!!!!! Great work! You look like you have really thought this out and have great construction skills :hdbng:

Remember . . . you never have to apologize to Tony :lmao:. . . :help: It's his job to help :help:

Best of luck!!!!!

PS . . . Must be something about Mountain Dew and Indiana. My son-in-law comes from Rochester . . . both he and my daughter attended Rose Hulman IT in Terra Haute . . . and it seems that everyone there were doing the "Dew" :)

Last edited:

Derek

HI there "Whirlybird!" I'm glad that you came across my thread and thanks for the compliment! I am in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I'm about an hour north of Muncie in the NE area of Indiana.

There is quite the long story behind "why" I want to build this plane and I can see it in my head and the image just won't go away, lol. To think that the airframe is made from Dollar Tree foamboard is just baffling, but it's real easy to work with, it's inexpensive, and when formed....it's actually pretty rigid. However, I'm learning that there is quite a bit about this build that I just have no idea what the hell to do....enter Tony's help. I've been able to progress quite well because of his instruction. I can't imagine that I would be very far in the build if I didn't find this forum.

As far as apologizing to Tony...I'm 36 years old and respectful to those that help me and there have been times that I comment on what Tony suggests and, due to my inexperience, I have felt that I was "pestering" him. However, Tony has made it very clear that I can come to him with the simplest question and I'll know that he'll still take the time to give me an answer. I'm sure with the continued help from Tony, and recently "breeze400," I'll get this beast of a plane completed. If you do a search on YouTube for "FB Albatros" (previously called "The AXON Project), you'll see some of my build videos. I measured out the wing today, it measures 20 feet 5/8" from tip to tip. Currently, the fuselage is 9 feet long. The fuselage length will probably change when I'm searching for center of gravity. I'm running the servo wires in the wing right now and I'm hoping to mount the Tacon 160 brushless outrunner tomorrow to the fuselage. I still need to find a 24" prop for this monstrosity. My local hobby shop doesnt carry props that big. They were very rude when I asked, today, for a 24" prop. They asked me what kind of plane I was gonna be flying. I explained my plane to them with anticipation of them being interested. One of the guys turned and walked away while saying "What a joke!" Not very professional, in my opinion.

Anyway...I'll definately be back with more questions, I'm sure. I appreciate anyones help and suggestions. I'll see if I can get some pictures of my progress taken and uploaded to show you what I'm up to.

Take care!

murankar

Staff member
Dude your not linking the videos into the thread, shame on you :lmao:. You need to be linking those vids so we can watch more easily.

Tony

Staff member
With what you said above, you need to read my blog "Local Hobby Shops Should Support YOU". That is exactly what I'm talking about. I would not have been that nice to them if they would have said that to me. I would probably be getting a free ride in a police car lmao.

Whirlybird

Local hobbyshops want you to buy their planes. If you scratch build, you are less use to them.

A lot of us here have done alot of foam board. Coroplast is another good material. If your interested, i'll link you to my builds with it :)

Last edited:

wolfman76

hey whirlybird me you ought to get together with mountaindew and check this plane out sometime i live in hammond indiana NW indiana just next door to you

Whirlybird

Yeah, I remember :) We should probably do that and have a Mountain Dew party . . . We'll invite Tony too :yikes:

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, Tony, if Mountaindewdude has acreage to fly in, maybe you should consider the official RC-Help field over there ?!?

Last edited:

Derek

Hey there, wolfman! I was just in Hammond two weeks ago. Went to Cabela's.

murankar....you are absolutely right. Shame on me, for sure!

Here is a list of the videos as I've done them...from start to current. Viewers beware....I stutter when I talk. I've stuttered for as long as I can remember.

Video 1: A Work in Progress: ***AXON on Steroids*** - YouTube (This video is a bit boring. Just an intro video)
Video 2: AXON Project Part 2 - YouTube
Video 3: AXON Project Part 3 - YouTube ( Wing construction)
Video 4: AXON Project Progress Part 4 - YouTube
Video 5: AXON Project Part 5 - YouTube
Video 6: Help video for my plane - YouTube (This video was to show Tony what I was up to)
Video 7: FB Albatros (a bit of progress) - YouTube
Video 8: FB Albatros...a bit more progress on 20 foot long wing - YouTube
Video 9: FB Albatros (tail section build start) - YouTube
Video 10: FB Albatros (electronix) - YouTube (Servo's, Tacon 160 motor, 100amp esc)

Ok, here are the videos that I've taken so far. I've been running the servo wires thru the wing tonight for the ailerons and flaps/spoilerons. I did plug in a battery and the servos to each hook-up in the wing and everything tested great! I have to cut the servo mounting plates and install them, then I should be able to close up the wing and call that part done.

Some of the videos are a bit long. I try to keep them under 15 minutes but I tend to ramble. Rambling and stuttering make for a long video, lol. I do hope that you take a bit of time and check out my build progress. I'm very happy with the way that this plane has come out so far. With the help from rchelp.com, and obviously not my local hobby shop, this plane will turn out to be a huge success. I'm thankful to those that have made comments, compliments, and suggestions and I'll be just as appreciative to those that are still giving suggestions and encouragement. I mean seriously, how many people do you know that have a Dollar Tree foamboard rc plane with a 20foot wingspan?

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing...my name is Derek. I figure that I'll be around this forum more and more so you guys might as well know my name. :)

Derek

Hey Tony, it sure was nice of you to straighten out the facts and clarify that your name is "Tony" lol.

Zenmetsu...here is the link for the Tacon 160:

Tacon Big Foot 160 Brushless Out Runner Motor for Airplane (245KV)

Several weeks ago, Tony suggested either the 110 (295kv) or the 160(245kv). There was a $3.50 difference between the two so I opted for the larger one.

Whirlybird...currently, I have three flying fields to fly. 1 of those three is actually very close to my house, however it is very narrow and I intend to use this field for operational testing. Simply powering up the plane, rolling forward and trying to get off the ground about 3-5 feet then set it down. As long as all goes well, the other two fields that I fly in normally are about 35 minutes from my house. I go hunting in the woods on both these properties but the open fields are 120 acres on the small field and the bigger field is probably closer to 300acres. There are dozens of farmers more locally and I've already started to talk with a few of them to see if they'd mind if I flew on their property. I'm just trying to find a big area closer to home.

Tony

Staff member
The reason he mentioned doing the field up there is because i'm looking for land to create my own club. I'm not looking that hard, but if something pops up, I will jump on it. It's a field dream (pun intended lmao) but one of these days, I will have a field exactly to my liking. And hopefully to everyone elses as well. I'm sure it will be.

As for the name, I was just messing with you since i already knew your name lmao. But in all reality my name is ynoT, or so it says on my Edge 540 :biggrin1:

Derek

Tony, why would you be looking for land here if you live in Oklahome?

I read your blog on LHS supporting the public. Very interesting. Ya know...I try to talk highly about my LHS and I try to go there for parts and pieces but because I'm not in there on a weekly basis spending $500+ each visit, they are quick to dismiss my presence. I was in there earlier today just picking up a few things. One of the guys asked me if there was something that he could help me find...I told him "no" and just went about my business. I knew where to find the parts and pieces, got them and moved on.

Anyway...that's a disappointing topic, lol. I'm gonna go work on my servo mounting plates now. I'll post some pics or a short video later today.

Derek

Short video of this afternoon's progress with the servo wires in the wing. I soldered, connected, and tested each plug and everything works. This short video will give you another look at just how long this wing is.

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:

murankar

Staff member
Here is a list of the videos as I've done them...from start to current. Viewers beware....I stutter when I talk. I've stuttered for as long as I can remember.

I stutter also so don't worry about it. It adds to your videos IMO. Continue to to make videos I like them.
Great work so far on this huge project.

Top Bottom