700 Goblin Build...

BOKI

corsair_pilot; Guess I have the same problem not enough money! Sounds like a nice set up to save for!

Westy

LEGEND
Successful maiden fellas!:yahoo: once my friend uploads the vid i will post it. This thing is freaking insane, at 1/4 stick this badboy want's to go. GABA the IKON Gov gave me probs so i had to field program the ESC which is just fine. I will check back on the issues on IKON gov, at work at the moment lol..oh and another thing.. nervs and shakin at the same time is not a good combo fellas and to top it off i am learning to pinch the sticks. WHEW! :bolt:

Is there an advantage to pinching the sticks? over Thumbing it? I have seen pros from all over ... doing both.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I only did it cause when I get nervous my thumb shakes and it seems like I need to lower my GYRO gain....lol and then again someone at the field(team heliproz pilot Mike Bayona) told me it would give me more control...look him up on you tube he is awesome. hope to get the VID on soon.

BOKI

Hi Westy; I have a friend that flies a Big Synergy & he told me to learn to pinch the sticks & not thumb them! So thats the way I'm learning! Maybe with the bigger Helicopters it's Safer!

danhampson

when i first started with a honeybee cp3 i used my thumbs and a friend said to me to use pinch and i found that straight away i had far more control.

pvolcko

I started off thumbing it and am deciding if I want to teaching myself to pinch. It feels more awkward to hold the Tx, and I'll likely have to change my switch layout too, but the increased feel I get when moving the sticks is quite noticeable both in my head and in my flying precision and control. I might be able to achieve the same with some stick mods (wider pads, maybe add some foam, shorten the sticks). Still figuring it out.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Bert kammerer thumbs his helis. I don't agree you have any more or less control either way... It's the way your hand is so::: anatomically and ergonomically what's better for you. Don't force a style on yourself . :) I tried pinching ... Doesn't work for me. I lose track of my sticks much easily. I rather got bigger gimbals for my radio so I have more surface area where my thumb sits and that has helped me a lot. Much more comfortable and feels very locked in without the fear of slipping

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

xokia

Bert kammerer thumbs his helis. I don't agree you have any more or less control either way... It's the way your hand is so::: anatomically and ergonomically what's better for you. Don't force a style on yourself . :) I tried pinching ... Doesn't work for me. I lose track of my sticks much easily. I rather got bigger gimbals for my radio so I have more surface area where my thumb sits and that has helped me a lot. Much more comfortable and feels very locked in without the fear of slipping

On smack talk they go over this. Burt applies so much pressure his thumbs bleed lol.

One advantage to thumbs is quickness. Advantage to pinching is precision.
It really should be whatever feel natural to the pilot. I've done thumbs but feel I significanly have better control pinching so that is the way primarily fly. I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. Whatever works for you.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
ya! that whole pinching thing made my hand numb there for a while. LOL I had to re-adjust my sticks.

So Gaba back to my IKON gov. I had everything set up accordingly but it seemed to stay on one head speed and not change at all even when switched to IU. this was my steps:
1. set all end points to 100% on ikon.
2. advance mode on gov setup put low/high throttle to mid for esc setup endpoints. also inputted HS at time
3. ESC set to heli and external gov. unplug batt and then plug in esc to ikon
4. power up TX with throttle to high and then power up heli.
5. then in ikon gov set, I moved slider up until I hear confirmation from esc. once confirmed I move throttle stick to low and then move low throttle slider in ikon until I hear confirmation from esc again.
6. remove ikon usb unplug heli and replug to confirm initialize.

esc and ikon initialize at that point. but when tested on field there was no change on HS.

:thinking:

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Show us!!!!! come on .... I am putting an IKON on mine .... and want to know all about the issues and challenges :) and the FLIGHT! show us the FLIGHT! Lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
ya! that whole pinching thing made my hand numb there for a while. LOL I had to re-adjust my sticks.

So Gaba back to my IKON gov. I had everything set up accordingly but it seemed to stay on one head speed and not change at all even when switched to IU. this was my steps:
1. set all end points to 100% on ikon.
2. advance mode on gov setup put low/high throttle to mid for esc setup endpoints. also inputted HS at time
3. ESC set to heli and external gov. unplug batt and then plug in esc to ikon
4. power up TX with throttle to high and then power up heli.
5. then in ikon gov set, I moved slider up until I hear confirmation from esc. once confirmed I move throttle stick to low and then move low throttle slider in ikon until I hear confirmation from esc again.
6. remove ikon usb unplug heli and replug to confirm initialize.

esc and ikon initialize at that point. but when tested on field there was no change on HS.

:thinking:

So the ikon governor brought the head up to speed to say normal mode but never switched to id1 and id2 speed ... Is that what happened?

The steps you posted and did are perfect . If your esc initializes every time you plug it in, that's perfect.

Now what were your throttle curves set to..?

The 30 60 100 percent they ask to set on throttle curve for the three rpm's :: needs to be set using the ikon software... Try to see that on the basic screen , the throttle slider that moves with the stick or with throttle curve, corresponds to 30 or 60 or 90 .. Doesn't matter what transmitter says

How have you connected your hobbywing sensor to the ikon... And to the motor... Mind posting pics?

I want to remind you of this :: I have done this myself----

Pin out on hobbywing sensor that comes from factory could be different than what ikon demands :

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/besaja2u.jpg

Pin out on that jst -zh plug goes ::SIGNAL ---NEGATIVE --POSITIVE
Once you have it right, spin the motor with your hands and you'll see actual rpm values... They shouldn't be fluctuations say 10-500-600-8000 back... .. But actual realistic values

Was "use governor" checked for the bank you were using in the ikon?

Last edited:

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
So the ikon governor brought the head up to speed to say normal mode but never switched to id1 and id2 speed ... Is that what happened?

The steps you posted and did are perfect . If your esc initializes every time you plug it in, that's perfect.

Now what were your throttle curves set to..?

The 30 60 100 percent they ask to set on throttle curve for the three rpm's :: needs to be set using the ikon software... Try to see that on the basic screen , the throttle slider that moves with the stick or with throttle curve, corresponds to 30 or 60 or 90 .. Doesn't matter what transmitter says

How have you connected your hobbywing sensor to the ikon... And to the motor... Mind posting pics?

I want to remind you of this :: I have done this myself----

Pin out on hobbywing sensor that comes from factory could be different than what ikon demands :

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/04/besaja2u.jpg

Pin out on that jst -zh plug goes ::SIGNAL ---NEGATIVE --POSITIVE
Once you have it right, spin the motor with your hands and you'll see actual rpm values... They shouldn't be fluctuations say 10-500-600-8000 back... .. But actual realistic values

Was "use governor" checked for the bank you were using in the ikon?

P5280018.jpgP5280019.jpg

Both banks were checked to use gov.i will post a pic of the speed settings when I get back from work. i have the DX7s, so only two flight mode. on the ikon IU1/2 were both the same speed and yes i set my Throttle curves as stated on ikon 30 and 60.

P5280018.jpg

P5280019.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
check the port config bro.. the picI posted was for the Ikon's Governor port : pin out. So make sure its hooked the right way. I had to change the wires config as the hobbywing sensor pin out did not match the ikon's gov port.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
check the port config bro.. the picI posted was for the Ikon's Governor port : pin out. So make sure its hooked the right way. I had to change the wires config as the hobbywing sensor pin out did not match the ikon's gov port.

i will check the pin out tonight. one thing when setting the endpoints, once i get confirmation on throttle high from ikon do i have to unplug batt on heli then set TX throttle to low and then replug batt to heli? i saw a vid on throttle end points and that was his steps to setting his points.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
All at once is fine. If there was an issue , the esc won't initialize. Just make sure it is right at the point at which it initializes not too lower

Let me know what you see on the sensor

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
All at once is fine. If there was an issue , the esc won't initialize. Just make sure it is right at the point at which it initializes not too lower

Let me know what you see on the sensor

Correct! It wouldn't have initialize...:duh: I will check the sensor tonight.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Here it is fellas...I know finally! still breaking in the gears and getting the feel for the bird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom