700 Goblin Build...

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
So I started sorting out the parts and putting this thing together..I won't bore you all with to much details. I will just jump to some finish productsP5100050.jpg

P5100069.jpg
This thing is huge..I had to break out my special tools. LOL

P5100051.jpgP5100053.jpg
Now for the head
P5100055.jpg
Pre install the bearings and washers so I know I have them in order. that's just me
P5100056.jpg
I like to thread lock one side first so that way none gets on the bearings. then install the grips .
P5100057.jpgP5100058.jpgP5100059.jpgP5100060.jpg

Beer is kickin in fellas..i will continue tomorrow.

P5100050.jpg

P5100069.jpg

P5100051.jpg

P5100053.jpg

P5100055.jpg

P5100056.jpg

P5100057.jpg

P5100058.jpg

P5100059.jpg

P5100060.jpg

danhampson

Looking at the size of that head your going to need those special tools.
I saw my first 700 last weekend and couldnt believe the size of it it made my 450 look like a toy (and i thought that it was quite big when i built it)
Good luck with the build keep us posted with plenty of pics.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
So I was awaken at 0400 this morning due to a phone call and lucky me it was a wrong number..now I can't go back to sleep. so I decided to continue my build.

P5100061.jpg

Transmission assembly temporary mounted to rame. pre fit before securing. Lovin it

P5100064.jpg
Battery protection that goes between motor shaft and batt. now the show stopper.

P5100066.jpg

According to the manual I must be at 28.5mm I am way over with this manufacture shaft. I do not wan't to cut the shaft for sure(or maybe). I already contacted the manufacture to see if the carry short shafts, just waiting on them. As you can see with the motor mounted and the batt protector it sticks out like a sore thumb. but there is gap.

P5100067.jpg

Oh well! I might as well continue the build for now until I get that figured out.:banghead:

P5100061.jpg

P5100064.jpg

P5100066.jpg

P5100067.jpg

pvolcko

Yeah, probably will end up having to cut that off. IT's pretty easy to take apart. Then just use the baggie trick to make sure no filings go into the can. An alternative might be to glue some wood or plastic blocks to the underside of that protection plate. Tall enough to prevent he battery from getting stabbed in the event of a crash. Just make the blocks long enough so that they don't also impart damage to the battery in such a case. The longer, the more distributed their impact should be and the less risk of battery damage.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Looks awesome dude. You are a lucky boy :D

Thanks Lee...I need a bigger SIM. LMAO!

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, probably will end up having to cut that off. IT's pretty easy to take apart. Then just use the baggie trick to make sure no filings go into the can. An alternative might be to glue some wood or plastic blocks to the underside of that protection plate. Tall enough to prevent he battery from getting stabbed in the event of a crash. Just make the blocks long enough so that they don't also impart damage to the battery in such a case. The longer, the more distributed their impact should be and the less risk of battery damage.

I was thinking about that..but I was weighing the cost of a batt compare to a shaft. I might just cut it if quantum doesn't carry shorter shafts.

- - - Updated - - -

QUESTION? I just reliaze that this big bird will have some power and was wondering if it was okay to use the blue Loctite on the blade grips. :help:

Tony

Staff member
Cutting the shaft is pretty easy. Gaba has the bag method on here somewhere. Just poke the motor through a zip lock bag where no shavings will get in it, mark it, and cut it. Make sure to round the edges so you dont' cut yourself.

And if you have nylon lock nuts, there is no need to thread lock the bolts. But, anything that is just straight metal to metal, then use thread locker.

Westy

LEGEND
I got a 60 inch PLasma you can come share with me to sim on!!!!! - with hte mrs starting her new job soon ... she will be gone on training for 9 weeks ... so the sim on my PC will be getting a promotion :) -60" plasma here we come! lmao

Looks good .... and enjoying the fact that I am not the only one that enjoys the drink and build evenings/days! .... great fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Cutting the shaft is pretty easy. Gaba has the bag method on here somewhere. Just poke the motor through a zip lock bag where no shavings will get in it, mark it, and cut it. Make sure to round the edges so you dont' cut yourself.

And if you have nylon lock nuts, there is no need to thread lock the bolts. But, anything that is just straight metal to metal, then use thread locker.

as an add on/alternative to this method.....you can also just use glad wrap (lunch wrap) and grease ...mark you cut.... poke the shaft through the glad wrap and wrap the motor in it.... then grease the top side near the cut ..... any filings should get on hte grease and stay there .... then upwrap the motor and pull the glad wrap off (wiping the shaft as you go)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i use red thread lock on rotor head parts just a peace of mind to me

I use blue everywhere

My whiplash is built with blue. Alcohol to clean the screws ESP the feathering shaft ones

And then just blue loctite.

I have never used red .. Ever. Not recommended

You might need heat one day to pull it all apart.

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
You guys saw what happened to the RCH heli motor cause some one used red tread lock on the head bolts didn't you? Not recommended! At all! Tony had to heat the head up to 600 degrees to get the bolts out!

Tony

Staff member
Actually, I found later that there was no thread locker on it that I could find. The bolts were clean when I finally got them out. Makes me wonder if I would have ever gotten them off if there was thread locker on them.

heli-maniac

Its a reation from tge aluminum to the steal see it all the time on cars
and red thread lock can just ve heated wilth a little heat to brake it loose unless you coat the hell out of the threads it dosent have to drip off the bolts lol

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
blue Loctite every where....I decided to keep the shaft, I mean the only way the batts will hit the shaft is if when I crash..all well back to the build pics

Top Bottom