Quad Building My First Quad

bigone5500

Ok. My first impression with this frame is it is well made. The anodized standoffs are good quality and have no play in the threads. The base, arms and PDB assy. all fit together well. The holes were precisely drilled and made for a sturdy assembly. The only thing I do not like is the camera mount. This is the lowest quality part and maybe I got a faulty one but the part that angles does not stay in. You can remove it without disassembling the frame. I will be researching alternate camera mounts to replace this one. The PDB looks to be good quality but the only downside is it has no voltage regulation. I will be searching for alternate methods but fear I will come up empty handed as the PDB is part of the structure and any more addition inside the frame will cause the stack to not fit. Note the third photo, the mount is not correctly affixed.

While writing this post, I did a little researching. It turns out that the Stack-X I want so badly probably won't fit in this frame. I cannot verify the height of the stack but it looks pretty tall. And speaking of the stack, it's on sale right now on Banggood for $95.99:

Eachine Stack-X F4 Flytower F4 FC Built-in VTX OSD 1080P DVR 4 In 1 35A Dshot600 ESC for RC Drone FPV Racing

Attachments

• 20171213_194642.jpg
    20171213_194642.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171213_194700.jpg
    20171213_194700.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171213_194716.jpg
    20171213_194716.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20171213_194848.jpg
    20171213_194848.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 5

bigone5500

I ordered my flight stack today. I had some points built up and got it for $90 instead of $105 which is cheaper than the promo they had going on a couple weeks ago at $95.

bigone5500

Is it possible to use the satellite rx included with the Lemon Rx on a flight stack for a quad? The cable is a little different. It doesn't have the standard 3 pin connector as on a servo but has a smaller white connector. Could I cut the cable and use it that way or do I have to have it connected to the Lemon Rx for it to work?

I'm having a hard time figuring this stuff out. I think it's overkill to have a full Rx with outputs and all, I just want to control a quad. I don't need the servo connections.

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can use a satellite Rx. On a spektrum style satellite though, do NOT run the red wire to 5v, you will fry it. There should be a 3.3 volt pad somewhere on that board where you need to get power from. The ground and signal will go to one of your UART's which you will turn on in the ports tab, and then under configuration you will select your satellite type. Then in Rx you will select where your channels are. Confused yet? I know I was when I started lmao. But do NOT connect it directly to the UART as it will fry it. Find the 3.3 pad.

bigone5500

I think what I will do is purchase a few Lemon Rx that have the satellite included. That way I have a Rx for my planes and satellites for my quads.

I love a win-win...

Tony

Staff member
lol, that is one way to do it. But what did you mean by TMI? I know 'what' it means, but what did you mean by it?

bigone5500

TMI....you almost exploded my brain with all that...LOL!!!!!

I think helis are so much easier to figure out.

Tony

Staff member
lmao, Mine will be here tomorrow. First thing I have to do is see if I can shorten the stack.... Not sure how much room there is going to be. I may end up having to make an adapter plate for the VTX. I guess we will see tomorrow lol.

Oh, and I had to swap some things around on youtube (thanks youtube) so the soldering video that I said was going to go live today is actually going live tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Tony

Staff member
I plan on making some custom spacers and getting it as short as I possibly can. Might need to make a run to the hardware store lol.

Tony

Staff member
lmao. I was actually thinking about just making them with brass. I have a bunch of motherboard standoff's around here that I could shave down.

bigone5500

I got my stack today. I'm concerned about one thing I saw. On the VTX board, there are two nylon standoffs that are waaaayy too close to a couple components. There is a transistor and a diode that are right under the nuts. I'll have to think about this one a bit and plan out how to mount it. I wondered why the two nuts weren't tight on top.

20180109_164142.jpg 20180109_164212.jpg

Here is how it will look upon opening the box.

20180109_163459.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that is a simple fix! Just run down to the Horrible Frought and pick up a lathe and turn some little 2mm tall shims to go over them. Cheap as beans to make that part!!!

lmao, in all seriousness, I have seen this issue posted somewhere else and have been thinking about it. My thoughts were to just turn down the bottom side of the nut so that you can still get a wrench on it to tighten it, but it will also tighten down on the board AND clear that chip as well. If you want to see what I'm talking about, I will be putting it in the videos I plan on shooting.

bigone5500

I thought about taking the standoff completely out and use some 3mm threaded rod with nylon spacers all the way through to the bottom.

Top Bottom