450 Align TRex 450 Pro v2 3 GX build

Tony

Staff member
Loosen your main blocks and press then together with both shims installed. You should be able to set it perfectly.

Dizzle000

I did as u suggested tony it worked but there is still abit of drag is this ok? Spins freely but not as free as it did with only one shim

Tony

Staff member
Press them together harder, or remove a shim and pull the blocks apart. You can get it perfect. I had this same issue on my heli. But I had NO shims in it and it was too tight. Had to press them together really tight and tighten then down. Just takes testing, you will get it.

Dizzle000

Alrighty thanks tony for the advise I ended up taking out the shim ,spread the block ,nope still could get a hair of movement just enough you could see the main shaft move .so took it apart again added the shim this time put the heli on the floor, held the skids down with my feet and pulled up on the head ,then pushed down on each corner with a punch and tightened the upper block down .voila she spins like butter just as good as with one shim and there is ZERO! movement just go to show trial and error .

Tomhintz

I got my 450 rebuilt fromt he last crash, ran it up in normal mode and it woujldn;t lift off. I finally realized that the throttle was working backwards (no, hadn;t reversed that in the radio) and yes, wound up dumping it over again when I tried to idle it down. No big damage but it concerns me that it reversed, apparently in the gyro. do you have to go over all of those settings after a crash to be sure? I know I should have caught it when setting up the head but still, do I need to reset the gyro after a crash?
got my fancy swashplate leveler (works very cool) and the digital pitch gauge, works even better and it was sounding so clean with the rotorhead at speed....off to the hobby shop.....

Tony

Staff member
No, you don't have to reset the gyro after a crash. I will bet you had yoru blade grips backwards. The ball links should be on the leading edge of the blades on a FBL helicopter.

Tomhintz

No, you don't have to reset the gyro after a crash. I will bet you had yoru blade grips backwards. The ball links should be on the leading edge of the blades on a FBL helicopter.

Oh crap! that very well could have been. I will be watching that this time around!
Back to the shop.

Tony

Staff member
It happens to all of us. Gaba (one of my Mods on here) just did this to his Warp 360. Destroyed the helicopter and put a hole in the ceiling.

Tomhintz

It happens to all of us. Gaba (one of my Mods on here) just did this to his Warp 360. Destroyed the helicopter and put a hole in the ceiling.

Well, OK, it happened to me, now mot anymore!
I got it fixed, ran it up in the garage to near take-off and all seems well. It's raining so I am going to take that as an omen and leave it for tomorrow. I get up at like 2am every morning so I have plenty of time to go over it and see if I can find anything I forgot. If the rain holds off tomorrow afternoon I might be able to take it out tot he regular flying field but either way, given some dry time I will get it in the air tomorrow I think. I am amazed at how tough this thing is. this crash was hard, sort of at speed but it was going down and not up so I let her go. Main gear, main shaft, feather shaft (reverse the %%$#@ blade grips) and re-set everything with my new setup tools. I am way more confident in the setup now that I can actually see what is going on. I love digital stuff! Thanks again!

Chompwat

Good luck Tom with the re-maiden!
I am back from my vacation and hope to do some fine tuning tomorrow.
Any tips out there for checking the blade tracking?
I'm going to try the settings out that Kev posted earlier. I assume it is a matter of connecting the heli to the interface, dialling in the settings and writing them to the 3GX. Is there any way of saving your original settings, or should I write them down?

john2012

Banned
nice flight man

- - - Updated - - -

dizzle000 leave the two pods at 12oclock they did work well their on my heli before i had my problem they are for your ali and ele

Chompwat

Thanks Tony. I shall be playing about with the software settings today!

+1 on that John. My pots were set at about 11 and 1. I set them both to 12 o'clock. No wagging or nodding at all, so a good starting point.

Tomhintz

Just re-maidened my 450. I have a clicking sound that seems to be coming from either the oneway bearing or the lower ball bearing. I can;t really feel anything rotating it by hand and in flight its not making noise so I flew it.
My biggest problem is getting the hang of holding any given altitude, within reason. Also, my landings suck, especially if I try to set it down with the throttle. I have hit the throttle hold and then used the blade pitch to cushion the landing and that seems to work better when flying in this normal mode anyway. Any tips on getting the vertical motion settled down some? maybe making landing easier in the process?

flysolo

On my 550 i use the ESC gov and your method with throttle hold. With the big blades it just hangs in the air. On the 450 normal mode I have a very steep throttle curve so that I never loose head speed during landing. I think normal tc is 0-60-85-85-85 and normal pc is 35-45-50-75-100. The th method is harder with the 450 and the way I got it set up works well for me, I always try to land it on the front of the skids to save some umbrella gears :)

Tomhintz

On my 550 i use the ESC gov and your method with throttle hold. With the big blades it just hangs in the air. On the 450 normal mode I have a very steep throttle curve so that I never loose head speed during landing. I think normal tc is 0-60-85-85-85 and normal pc is 35-45-50-75-100. The th method is harder with the 450 and the way I got it set up works well for me, I always try to land it on the front of the skids to save some umbrella gears :)

I have gotten in a few more flights and have been using the throttle hold method and that is doing well even when I miss my piece of carpet on the lawn. I know what you mean about the unbrella gears. I think I have one making a little noise whenever the tail rotor touches substantial grass. I have more of them coming and will keep practicing. when I flop it on the carpet with the motor cut it actually looks like a landing! I jsut have to get used to how much "up" to give it ont he way down to soften the touchdown.

Slobberdog

The white gears are as soft as well you get the picture, I have plumped for black front gears and white back gears for now, cos

1. They will give before the front gears and they are easier to change out.
2. I could not get the black rear ones when I needed the new set of fronts,

So if you have a little nick in the gears it will make a bit of noise,

Tomhintz

Just got back from the flying field and got several 450 flights in and lots of "it's about time" remarks from my fellow rc folk who are univerally anti-Blade, very pro Align but oddly they nearly all use the Spektrum BeastX receiver/gyro in their Aligns, up to the 700 that I know of. Has anyone here had experienc with the BeastX? Is there really that much difference. some of the people at our club that I know to be pretty conservative with throwing money at models absolutely swear by the BeastX. Any thoughts?
I am going to start working on the simulator and in the yard to get myself using idle up. I have been using that on the sim and everybody seems to think it is easier to dealw tih the wind etc using collective. I have to make the jump sooner or later so why not now if I just don;t go nuts. My Main flying right now is just hovering around and working on getting consistent there, then we start with the moving around. Idle up might be easier to get used to now before I get more active int he air.

Slobberdog

Just got back from the flying field and got several 450 flights in and lots of "it's about time" remarks from my fellow rc folk who are univerally anti-Blade, very pro Align but oddly they nearly all use the Spektrum BeastX receiver/gyro in their Aligns, up to the 700 that I know of. Has anyone here had experienc with the BeastX? Is there really that much difference. some of the people at our club that I know to be pretty conservative with throwing money at models absolutely swear by the BeastX. Any thoughts?
I am going to start working on the simulator and in the yard to get myself using idle up. I have been using that on the sim and everybody seems to think it is easier to dealw tih the wind etc using collective. I have to make the jump sooner or later so why not now if I just don;t go nuts. My Main flying right now is just hovering around and working on getting consistent there, then we start with the moving around. Idle up might be easier to get used to now before I get more active int he air.

People jumped to the BeastX or Ar7200bx cos they could not set up the 3Gx to be as stable, quickly anyway, and Align have had a few glitches along the way, 3.1 however seems to be very good, Tony had his set up so his 450 with 3Gx to be nearly as stable as his 600 using the Ar7200bx, now thats going some, for what you are doing flying wise and me for that matter its not going to make a big difference at all.

i like my 3Gx and now with Tonys help on the settings it feels really good.

if you are new, the normal response is to drop the throttle if you panic, do that in idle up and the heli will pile itself into the ground, that is the one big thing you have to remember the heli comes down as quick as it goes up,

Last edited:

Tomhintz

The reciever most are using is the AR7200BX 7CH DSMX Flybarless Control System from Spektrum. many of them were pilphered out of Blade helos before they were thrown in a lake or something.

- - - Updated - - -

People jumped to the BeastX or Ar7200bx cos they could not set up the 3Gx to be as stable, quickly anyway, and Align have had a few glitches along the way, 3.1 however seems to be very good, Tony had his set up so his 450 with 3Gx to be nearly as stable as his 600 using the Ar7200bx, now thats going some, for what you are doing flying wise and me for that matter its not going to make a big difference at all.

i like my 3Gx and now with Tonys help on the settings it feels really good.

if you are new, the normal response is to drop the throttle if you panic, do that in idle up and the heli will pile itself into the ground, that is the one big thing you have to remember the heli comes down as quick as it goes up,
I understand the down really means down in idle up and have been doing fine in the sim. I figured that if I am going to make the jump to idle up at some point, why not now when I am always sort of close to the ground and not doing a bunch of stuff anyway. I know there are downsides to just about everything, I am just thinking that this point in my learning process it might be easier to get accustommed to the idle up.
Are there common idle up throttle and pitch curves that people use? Remember its me, we are not going 3D anytime soon so I don;t need scary curves! (If there is such a thing....)

Top Bottom