450 Align TRex 450 Pro v2 3 GX build

Tomhintz

It Flies!
I just put two packs through it with a coupole dowels taped to the skids because I am used to the Blade 300 rolling over. I think those dowels were faking out the gyro now and then making it toilet bowl but other than that, steady as can be. It's also windy out but it seems to handle that pretty good, from what I can tell anyway.
It does seem touchy to me right now but I will dial in some expo and get used to it. Not flying collective right now, need to get my feet wet. This so far above the Blade crap!
Think I will try a couple flights off the concrete out front.......

Tomhintz

I just put another fpour packs through it, no dowels and it still wanted to toilet bowl, twitching on rudder and elevator, or so it looks. I turned the pots down a tick on each and that seemed to make it better but it would still do it now and then.
The bigger problem is that I think the ESC is heating up and killing the power. The battery is fine, just over 4v per cell but i seemed like it was running out of power and the ESC smelled a little hot. I have it under the battery mount as per the instructions but am wondering if hanging it on the side of the frame out in the wind is a better idea overall? I see lots of them like that and can't see how this one will get enough air hidden away like that. Any ideas? Hurry! I wanna fly more! I've already greatly surpassed my total air time with the Blade 300!

Tony

Staff member
What are your pitch and throttle curves? "Toilet bowl" is caused by the head speed being too low. In normal mode you should be flying at least at 65% throttle.

Tomhintz

What are your pitch and throttle curves? "Toilet bowl" is caused by the head speed being too low. In normal mode you should be flying at least at 65% throttle.

I think I might have a thing or two to learn about this thing yet...
In normal mode wouldn't 65% have me zooming all over the sky? I am trying to keep it in my driveway right now (and actually doing it!) but the power does seem to vary.
throttle curve is 0-25-50-75-100
Pitch curve is 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 - 100
You're going to hollar at me aren't you......
Tell me how to fix this as I suspect this part of it anyway is not right, or not as good as it could be.
Should I be skipping normal and flying collective? I take it that would also help with the head speed deal?
Somewhere between you guys here and your videos, there is no way in hell I would have this thing flying! I do appreciate it! My customers hate it because I have not done anything in terms of work....but they can wait a bit more.

Slobberdog

You would be good to start in normal mode with,

Throttle curve 0-40-65-65-65
Pitch curve 45 - 47.5 - 50 - 75 - 100

And increasing the head spread wont make it take off like a scolded cat, it ill help with the stability, its the pitch that makes it zoom off,

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What kev stated is exactly right. Use his info and it will be more stablr. Also, lower your flip and roll rates to 20% and raise both dampening rates to 70% that should tame it down a lot.

Tomhintz

What kev stated is exactly right. Use his info and it will be more stablr. Also, lower your flip and roll rates to 20% and raise both dampening rates to 70% that should tame it down a lot.
Just put another three batteries through it with the new throttle and pitch curves and as you both say, it's a ton better even though I have gusty 20-something MPH winds to deal with. I think a lot of the moving around now is the wind, as well as the up and down. My smaller Blade helos would be in the trees someplace right now but I am actually able to fly the T rex sort of where I want it.
Again, lots of thanks to you guys! I am a very happy camper and am sure I would just be frustrated without your help here and the videos.
I really do need to get some work done, eventually. But, I got more batteries......

- - - Updated - - -

As long as you guys are offering up the help, I need a good blade balancer and a good source for all things T Rex. Any trusted US-based sources would be appreciated!

Tony

Staff member
I order all my parts from amainhobbies. Free shipping over $25. As for a blade balancer, I have the pink $10 one from ebay. Works as it should.

Tony

Staff member
Oh and the bobbing up and down is what is called "translational lift". Clean air will make the helicopter produce more efficient lift. As for the side to side and fore/aft, that will go away with practice.

EyeStation

Just got done hovering a pack with those settings above. I like the 65% full throttle. my kinda speed.
Thanks for taming my 450xl down a bit. Now it sounds less intimidating to any who happen to be around,(including me!!)

Tomhintz

Last evening before bed I got out and put another three packs through the T Rex 450 without the gusty winds and it handles great. It is still moving farther aroun d the yar than I want but that is all me and is getting better with each flight.
I also noted that with the 65% head speed my battery life is up some. I am getting a solid 5 minutes safely out of my 2200mAh packs. I might be able to up that some but am going to continue with the 5 minute timer right now and check them after each flight.
I have to say that I am very happy with the Trex 450 and am now SO GLAD that I sold the Blade 300X. It annoys me that I probably spent half of the cost of the Trex in 300 parts before I realised that it was not all me. But, Now I am a Trex 450 guy and am a happy camper!

Chompwat

Nice one Tom.
My last two flights before I came away on holiday with the family I was flying 4 mins and still had 65% remaining on 2200 mah Nano Techs.
That was a mixture of throttle/pitch curves similar to yours, and idle up.
6 mins should be a safe reality.
Wish I'd brought the 450 away with me.

Slobberdog

Well guys I run Overlander batteries and am putting about 1000 mah back into mine and running 7 mins gentle flight, not idle up yet

Chompwat

Well guys I run Overlander batteries and am putting about 1000 mah back into mine and running 7 mins gentle flight, not idle up yet

I do like the Overlander Lipo's. I fly my Blade 130x on their 450 mAH packs. Nice punchy delivery.
I also have one of their 80 watt chargers. A great piece of kit.
Might have to invest in a couple of 2200's!
My 22's have had a nice breaking in on my Bixler 2 so they're probably at their peak now.
SD you got those settings you talked about?
Cheers
Chomps

Slobberdog

The overlander batteries I use are the old red ones, the new blue ones are supposed to be better as they are higher 30c where the red were 25c, yes I like them and they are punchy, use them too on the 130xx, managed to pick up the red 2200 batteries for £14 each they are great value.

Tomhintz

All good things must come to an end - for now. I finally tipped the 450 over and now one of the blades has a noticeable upsweel starting about halfway out. That is over 30 flights before having to get a part! My Blade 300X needed parts after every flight attempt. (Masnt of those attempts were just rolls right there on the ground)
Anyway, I have a couple pair of Revolution CF blades coming overnight so I can get back in the air. i ahve a bunch more stuff coming in my first Amainhobby.com order on Friday, including the Align aluminum case so I can look cool at the field and actually keep the 450 un-dinged until I get it there.
The good news is that this gives me some time to do my actual work that is paying for all this... but tomorrow soon after UPS rushes by I am practicing again!

Slobberdog

Yeah when I get to need some serious power, when I can actually fly and use it properly I will probably go for the optipower batteries, they are supposed to be the dogs danglies.

- - - Updated - - -

All good things must come to an end - for now. I finally tipped the 450 over and now one of the blades has a noticeable upsweel starting about halfway out. That is over 30 flights before having to get a part! My Blade 300X needed parts after every flight attempt. (Masnt of those attempts were just rolls right there on the ground)
Anyway, I have a couple pair of Revolution CF blades coming overnight so I can get back in the air. i ahve a bunch more stuff coming in my first Amainhobby.com order on Friday, including the Align aluminum case so I can look cool at the field and actually keep the 450 un-dinged until I get it there.
The good news is that this gives me some time to do my actual work that is paying for all this... but tomorrow soon after UPS rushes by I am practicing again!

Dude you know the saying "I can't wait for" well my first crash on my 450 DFC I defo can wait for ever for if possible,

sorry to see you have had yours, if you hurt a blade that much make sure you check to see if your main shaft and feathering shafts are straight.

Top Bottom