450 A New Sport

Tony

Staff member
Yes you can use the 6i on Clearview but you will have to purchase a cable to hook to the computer. It's not expensive, but you will need it. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure where to get it.

And yes, you can put one of the free Rx on the Razor. It wil follow along exactly with my video. However, you will come to find out it's not worth it. Hope to see some build pics here shortly.

I know what it's like for other things to get in the way of building/flying. I'm in the same boat with work. But I'm trying to find a way to setup a mobile studio in my office. I think I can make it work anyway lol.

sterlingh

Marius S,
Something about a new box with a great new toy in it no?

Tony, Watched your vid a little while ago on the DX6I, and a little on the e razor setup with the DX6I. Man that was great. I feel much better now that I Will be able to set it up nicely..Great vid thanks..

callsign4223

Staff member
You can get the cable on amazon for about 15 shipped. Search for jr sim cable, it's the same port. One thing to note, I couldn't figure out how to get windows to recognize it as a game device so I have to calibrate in clear view every time. Also, if you change USB ports, the channels get all mixed around again. Easy enough to fix, just gotta be aware of it.

murankar

Staff member
Yes and no. The con is the extra wear and tear on the radio. Pro's You get practice with the radio and get a better feeling of the radio along with learning how to use it without looking at it. I have two radios one for flight sim and one for flying for real. They both act different, setup different plus the sim radio can't be programed for the air craft I am flying. I am stuck with one universal setting that is controlled by the sim.

The pro's out weigh the cons so I would go ahead and use it.

sterlingh

Thanks Matthias I will give it some thought. I probably will get the cable and check it out.

On another note I'm posting a couple thumbnails as I got the rotor head put back together. lol I would be embarrassed to say how many times I did this process. Also embarrassed at how many times I stopped and started Tony's video on this. However I do have a question/concern. Since I have nothing to go by, no experience that tells me the way blade grips should feel. When I first unboxed the rotor head,the travel seemed very loose. After I was done they seem to be a little tighter. If it makes sense I will say it is still very smooth, nevertheless a little tighter. I took it apart and reassembled, with the same results. In Tony's video he says to snug it up pretty good,I did that, and don't think I over did it. If you guys think they should not be tight at all, I don't know what I'm going to do, other than loosen the set screws a bit. Otherwise, that part was a lot of fun, and looking forward to the rest.
Greasin.jpgHeadbacktogether.jpg

Thanks

Greasin.jpg

Headbacktogether.jpg

Lee

As long as it feels smooth and you don't feel the bearing being gritty then its not too tight.

stokke

As long as it feels smooth and you don't feel the bearing being gritty then its not too tight.

I'm no expert, but will add a +1 on Lee's remark.
Regarding the DX6i combined with a simulator, I would say the experience you'll get from this is invaluable - I experienced this just an half hour ago!

It's looking great so far!!

Tony

Staff member
Just remember that the thrust bearings are a wearable item. If they are a little tight now, they will loosen up. As long as they are not gritty as Lee stated, and the bolt is tight, you should be fine.

sterlingh

Well then, I guess there's nothing to worry about as they do feel very smooth.I do wish I could find a video on this helicopter. While I know I have to follow in the manual,a video would be very helpful. I thought I had one, then saw a ball linkage bolt coming out of the head,I realized this is not my helicopter even though it has the same name. There is another one that flies through it in like 45 min. though later that could be helpful. I'm putting the linkage together now, and the way it's laid out I keep thinking I'm missing some parts. lol however this build is very enjoyable so far.

BTW: it's amazing how many distractions have come up, that normally do not, the instant I opened the box on this helicopter. It's almost laughable, except I am not really laughing. Thanks for the comments will post more pictures soon I hope.

sterlingh

According to the manual I am now ready to move into my main frame set build. While I am pretty happy with the rotorhead completion, and I feel like it's a good build, it was not all that smooth. On the upper mixing arm (how you like my terminology?) I put the ball linkage joints on the wrong side. Then, got upset with the Chinese, because there was a design flaw. Of course once I got my balls straightened out it moved smoothly. Lol.

I thought I lost one of my linkage rods and looked all over my worktable underneath the floor etc. for 20 min.. I then realized one half of it was already clicked onto a ball joint. So, any rough spots has been of my own making which I am grateful for, because that I can fix.

I had downloaded a six or seven part video series on my bird. The quality of the video (meaning instruction and understanding) was very poor, especially compared to Tony's. However, turns out this was not my helicopter. It is a Align 450 sport, but it is that RTF that you can buy. Yes it is an Align 450 sport RTF. I was wondering why he kept saying you have to disassemble, when I had nothing that was preassembled except the blade grips to the main rotor housing. That RTF has a ball linkage bolt coming out of the blade grip itself. No matter I am just yakking, back to business.

Anyway here's three pictures of my rotorhead complete. It should be pretty good, and I'm feeling very good about the build so far.

Comprothead1.jpgHead2.jpgSideview.jpg

Comprothead1.jpg

Head2.jpg

Sideview.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Jesse, it's the new style. If you look at the top of the head between the blade grips, there is a linkage there that is not on the older designs.

Sterling, that head is looking great. And thanks for the compliments on the video quality. Keep it up and you will be in the air in no time.

sterlingh

Tony, thanks for the kind words but I have serious doubts. I seem to have hit a brick wall with the main frame. I may even be missing some hexagonl bolts. Actually I don't have any and am calling for at least seven just on the first section of the main frame. I have tried finding a video of my helicopter but cannot. Just something to look at to go by. I don't know what to do about the bolts that I am probably missing. Maybe I can go to the LHS and see if they have them. But I tell you the truth for some reason this has got me down. Funny I thought putting their head together would be hard. I did everything a couple of times but enjoyed it and got through it. This mainframe very discouraging. Anyway I'll let you know goes.

Thanks

Edit. Ok I wont delete my stupid words but I will say I am sorta back on the right track. I found the hexagonl bolts, they weren't missing, just look like it when reading the manual. You can barley see the inset bolts in the tail boom mounting. So thats a good thing.

Last edited:

heli-maniac

Jesse, it's the new style. If you look at the top of the head between the blade grips, there is a linkage there that is not on the older designs.

Sterling, that head is looking great. And thanks for the compliments on the video quality. Keep it up and you will be in the air in no time.
ya thats what i was looking at
looks like just more wait and more arms to deal with didnt see how that was a improvement and was thinking may be it was a older stile
must be like a V5 or 25 lol what do i know im a newbee my self but ill stick with my DFC rotor heads

stokke

Ok I wont delete my stupid words but I will say I am sorta back on the right track. I found the hexagonl bolts, they weren't missing, just look like it when reading the manual. You can barley see the inset bolts in the tail boom mounting. So thats a good thing.

The instructions can surely be somewhat hard to interpret sometimes, and the amount of bolts and screws on top of this can confuse anyone!
Looking fine Sterling, be sure to take pictures ;)

sterlingh

Thanks Marius,
I swear I was 10 seconds form boxing this up and sending it straight to a place of no return. Then I realized I did not loose or never received 8 bolts that hold in the tail boom.That picked me up a tad, so I just did what I could tell to do and next thing I know I had the motor installed on the lower section , had the metal tail gear assembly installed, tail boom mount etc.. I will post pics tomorrow after a little more work. Stopping for tonight as the little woman calls... Turned out to be very good today, after most of the day not being so.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Sterling, you are doing this correctly. You are taking your time and doing it right. There are a lot of bolts to put this thing together, but I assure you, it will all be worth it when you start to get into the air. It just takes a little time.

as for the new head, I think the geometry is a little different causing the flybar to have more authority over the control of the heli. This would add to it's stability and making it easier to fly. This is just my opinion of what I "think" is going on lol.

sterlingh

Thanks Tony, I think I am back on track now. Just let my self get a bit anxious yesterday. Question, am I suppose to pull the bearing out of the tail gear and grease? It dont say to, but then the manual did not say to grease the main rotor head either.. Just a wondering.

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
bearing out of the tail gear? I'm not sure what bearing you are referring to. But, no matter what bearing, I would blow them out with brake cleaner or the like and lube them with bearing oil. This will make them spin so much more free.

Top Bottom