What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

Once you've used a good nav system, there's no look'n back...

I guess I'm old school... While I do use the GPS on my phone and in my car, when I'm going to someplace that I haven't been before, I look it up on a map first and do my own routing that way. If the location is in a more complicated denser area, I'll even print out a small map of that specific area to use when driving. I do this type of thing with most of the stuff I interact with in life. My works POS ( point of sale ) is nice and quick to look up past sales, purchases and inventory stuff, but I also have paper equivalents in case the power is out. Our GPS satellites can easily fail with one strong solar storm.

When needing to open boxes and letters, I recently got a couple of automatic knives so I could operate them one handed and didn't have to put down the package/letter first in order to first open my knife. Then I found out that the manual back flipper tab type of folding knives are almost as quick as the auto's and can often be closed easier than the auto's with one hand. The other advantage is that the flipper types are much simpler when needing to open, clean and maintain them with fewer parts that could eventually break ( like the springs in the auto's ). I like my auto's, they are fun to fidget with, but I'll be using the manual knives for any real work I do and need something that is more reliable.

Another area sort of like these ( old vs new tech ) are the LED flashlights. I love them, they are much brighter than the old ones I had when I was younger ( ok, much younger lol ) and all with a simple single or double AA battery instead of the older D cell flashlights. I also love that they can be recharged instead of just throwing away the old batteries. While I do have some that are recharge only, I rely on the ones that can use both the standard AA type as well as the 14500 rechargeable just in case I can't get to a place or perhaps just don't have time to recharge, I can drop in at any quick stop, gas station or just about any store and pick up more AA's.

I suppose we could also discuss the same on the sights of a gun... iron sights are certainly more reliable than telescopic ones. Still, if I were hunting game instead of just plinking at a target, I'd want a telescopic sight over the iron sights to help improve my chances of getting something to eat. For the targets, I'll stay with iron sights if for no other reason than to keep that skill in practice.

Adding to our knowledge and methods of how to use these new innovations is a good thing but that doesn't mean we need to set aside the simpler ones we'd learned before. The more technological a method is, the more susceptible it is to failure, making it even more important that we also keep in practice with the simpler methods.

Rob Lancaster

Another area sort of like these ( old vs new tech ) are the LED flashlights.

Oh yes! I'm a big fan of Mag Lights...
I've had a 4-D cell for decades. I used to use those old Krypton bulbs. They were better than the original but the problem with the incandescent bulb is they starts to go dim right away. Where as with the LED, that doesn't happen. The battery voltage can be so low the incandescent bulb barely shines. But the LED at the same voltage is still bright as ever. Its only when the break over voltage point of the (LED or semi conductor) falls below its break over voltage point, the LED begins to blink and then go dark.

Yup the LED is a great technical advancement to the flash light. A few years ago I installed one in my old 4-D and it made a huge difference. I never know when the batteries are getting low because the light is always bright. LOL! I recently bought a new 2-D one. Get this, its half the voltage and twice as bright! And it has two settings. I also got a 2- AAA mini mag for my mom's purse. It blows away the 2-AA mini mag I had years ago. Oh the LED can take some punishment unlike the old incandescent. However!,,, with a possible EMP attack in our future, all bets are off, ha! :nervous:....

About the solar storms giving us a knock out blow.. There's a naturally produced EMP. I remember the big one decades ago in the north east and Canada. Surprise everyone, the sun runs our climate and can fry our electrical grid in seconds. Some of the generators we have here in Hawaii are from the 40s.... Were talk'n Tesla equipment. We do have some computer control over the system. But from I hear, we're behind the times over here in D land.

I very surprised the all the annual and sporadic meteors the slam our atmosphere every day don't do way more damage to our satellite networks. I'm bummed the we missed the peak of the Perseid shower because of bad weather and that dick that started that fire. But how's this?! We've never knew the Perseid shower to peak on a different morning then Aug. 13th. For some strange reason, it peaked on the morning of the 14th. Not only did it peak, it was way more active than usual; What the hell!? Why was the meteor filament so late????? I want my money back.... :chuckles:

RandyDSok

We've never knew the Perseid shower to peak on a different morning then Aug. 13th. For some strange reason, it peaked on the morning of the 14th. Not only did it peak, it was way more active than usual; What the hell!? Why was the meteor filament so late?????

Actually, they usually say the peak is around Aug 11th-13th... but that is a generalization as it is for any of the meteor showers.

First, lets make this a discussion about all of the showers and not just that one. We only know in general terms the density, distribution and size of the particles that make up any of the meteor showers, but not the exact details. That is why some years they are not very spectacular and other years they are "big shows" but we don't know which type it will be until it is happening. So we only know how dense etc the area of a particular stream is after we've gone through it but each year we go through a different portion of the stream since it's always moving and not a static object or objects. In addition, the particles that make up the stream aren't evenly distributed, their density and sizes vary. They do have ideas about those details, but they are only educated guesses which are only based on the past years showers that we've seen. Next you also have to take into consideration the forces like gravity and the solar wind that will also move those particles around and how much they move depends on those things like size, density etc that we don't have exact information about. Now factor in our technology itself... how much if any of it can detect dust sized particles... or pebble size... small rocks... It takes a pretty large bolder to mountain sized object for our technology to detect it from Earth, we can't detect these much smaller objects that make up most of these showers. All we have to go on, is the past data we've collected.

Rob Lancaster

Actually, they usually say the peak is around Aug 11th-13th... but that is a generalization as it is for any of the meteor showers.

First, lets make this a discussion about all of the showers and not just that one. We only know in general terms the density, distribution and size of the particles that make up any of the meteor showers, but not the exact details. That is why some years they are not very spectacular and other years they are "big shows" but we don't know which type it will be until it is happening. So we only know how dense etc the area of a particular stream is after we've gone through it but each year we go through a different portion of the stream since it's always moving and not a static object or objects. In addition, the particles that make up the stream aren't evenly distributed, their density and sizes vary. They do have ideas about those details, but they are only educated guesses which are only based on the past years showers that we've seen. Next you also have to take into consideration the forces like gravity and the solar wind that will also move those particles around and how much they move depends on those things like size, density etc that we don't have exact information about. Now factor in our technology itself... how much if any of it can detect dust sized particles... or pebble size... small rocks... It takes a pretty large bolder to mountain sized object for our technology to detect it from Earth, we can't detect these much smaller objects that make up most of these showers. All we have to go on, is the past data we've collected.

You know, I pretty much knew this but this time complacency can reduce the count for the showers peak, peak...
Here's what I mean. We've done in the past several multi night missions to see where the best time of the Perseid shower will peak. Our data showed that the morning of the 13th was the best time for Hawaii. But here's the thing. The shower at that time for Hawaii is just warming up because the peaks plateau usually really peaks out at 11:00 or so AM HST. Now obviously the suns up and you can't see them. The radiant is still up in the sky at that time so there's plenty of meteors still fall'n..

This year with the bad weather and the fire bug. We had a bad count. But if we went out the next night, things would obviously be different. DOH!!! Well maybe,, DOH!! You just never know. You just need to be in the right place at the right time... Like we were in Dec. 2009 for the Geminids. We recorded 772 colorful flashy meteors from 10:00pm to sunrise. What a mission, LOL!

This is our meteor counter.
A nice home made addition to the mission..
In the dark, the box has a nice soft red hue. And the large red three digit readout is awesome.
Thanks Randy for the reminder of the meteor streams variances. Lesson learned. | EarthSky

Attachments

• C-MD520N-BL and meteor counter.JPG
    C-MD520N-BL and meteor counter.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

RandyDSok

Back in the day, I'd have been up for counting the meteors at least for a while...

... these days, it'd likely look more like...

Attachments

• old-man-asleep-in-a-seaside-shelter-BY0R20.jpg
    old-man-asleep-in-a-seaside-shelter-BY0R20.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1

Fly-n-Low

I love the LED small flashlights. Streamlight is what I use.

And yea, I had several Mag and MiniMag lights. At least one Mag in every truck and tool box. As with any aluminum flash light, oil the threads and O rings with petroleum jelly, and never a problem.

I had a Streamlight that was comparable to a 6 cell Mag, but much smaller in length and barrel size. I loved it, until the lens was worn and needed another. Not available. I had already bought a battery... so when it died, I was done. Too bad, they compared the brightness to one of the old Q-Beams if you remember those. Every redneck around here used to have at least one in their truck or boat!!! LOL!!!

GPS, the first time I used one was with an Etrex. All I did was use it for when I needed fuel as it would tell me where the truck stops were. I have a much newer model made for vehicles, but it constantly gives wrong directions. It will get you there, but you have to go around the world to get there. Not efficient at all. Not so sure that is Garmin's fault though.

So I get on Google Map, etc and print off where I am going to go. I am with you Randy! :hdbng:

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I carry a Nitecore TIP SE every day in my pocket, and the wife carries the Nitecore TIP (OG). Love these flashlights. I also have a Streamlight that I carried on duty. Stupid bright.

Rob Lancaster

Hi guys!
I took out my 41 year old Ruger 10/22 yesterday. I haven't fired it in almost ten years. I was surprised to see it was still in great shape. Especially because its here in Hawaii. There was a little surface rust on the barrel but it was no problem to clean off. I finally got to the gun shop and scored some ammo. I also got my eye on a cool Sig sight for the gun. I'm a bit concerned about fitting the scope to the stock duck tail rail. Oh no,, say it ain't so!... I hope I can find a good rail retrofit for a secure scope.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_2114.JPG
    IMG_2114.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 7

Nikkita

I've done nothing useful today except make a flybar locking tool and visit the pub. And the pub got more time than I spent tool making.
So today is a good day!

Tony

Staff member
Nice! I spent the day first clearing the CMOS on my computer so I could access the BIOS to disable (or to not enable) quick boot as it was causing my stream deck to not work. Had to unplug it and plug it back in. Huge PITA.

I then worked all day and when I got off work, I went straight to the kitchen and made up some homemade corn tortillas and made up some taco meat. It was not bad to say the least :chuckles:

Rob Lancaster

Nice! I spent the day first clearing the CMOS on my computer so I could access the BIOS to disable (or to not enable) quick boot as it was causing my stream deck to not work. Had to unplug it and plug it back in. Huge PITA.

I then worked all day and when I got off work, I went straight to the kitchen and made up some homemade corn tortillas and made up some taco meat. It was not bad to say the least :chuckles:

Say what Tony? Wait don't bother, I might get confused.. He He, Heeee......

Hey does anybody know anything about refillable 12 gram CO2 cartridges?

Can I just use compressed air with some kind of air compressor to charge the cartridge?

Man I'm go'n through CO2 and ammo.. I want to reduce the cost of training; if I can.
Thanks all,...........
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RandyDSok

Say what Tony? Wait don't bother, I might get confused.. He He, Heeee......

Hey does anybody know anything about refillable 12 gram CO2 cartridges?

Can I just use compressed air with some kind of air compressor to charge the cartridge?

Man I'm go'n through CO2 and ammo.. I want to reduce the cost of training; if I can.
Thanks all,...........
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey Rob...

Taking what little I know after a brief bit of research....

First to answer your question, yes those CO2 refillable are available in a lot of places. A quick search on Amazon or Google will get you a lot of results.

Some things to consider. First and probably foremost is that you will likely not get the same capacity that you would with a factory filled unit. You'd still need a way to get it refilled with high pressure ( something like 4500 psi or so ), so a standard compressor won't work. I'd suggest asking at a scuba shop what compressor they'd recommend for a home use of that type and expect to pay in the neighborhood of at least $300 and probably higher. You would also need to have oil and water filters for the air supply, so factor that into the mix also. Off the cuff guessing ( heavy on the guessing ), I'd expect about a 1/3 of the capacity you see in a factory unit... if you are really lucky maybe half. I'm also uncertain what the density and compressibility of air is vs CO2, so that may also factor in.

If you are serious about looking into that direction... I'd suggest looking at getting a PCP type of air rifle/pistol instead. These already have larger air cylinders built into them made for refilling. Most of the videos I've seen about them, the folks often don't get the compressor because of cost/complexity reasons and instead just buy/rent tanks of air from their local scuba shop to refill from. I saw a lot of Youtube vids about the PCP air rifles ( wasn't looking at pistols ), so I'd suggest watching a few of those reviews to get a feel for those subjects.

Fly-n-Low

Well ... how about getting a bottle that you can refill from a welding shop? You could get a bottle and have it filled, then use it it refill the cartridges... ?

My .000002 cents... LOL!

Tony

Staff member
Well ... how about getting a bottle that you can refill from a welding shop? You could get a bottle and have it filled, then use it it refill the cartridges... ?

My .000002 cents... LOL!
Yea, welding shops, gas exchange shops (not Taco Bell) and even some liquor stores can refill CO2. I do not believe compressed air will be enough for a CO2 pistol/rifle.

Rob Lancaster

Wow guys! Where do I start, LOL!

Thanks all for your input on this topic. I did a bit of research on the PCP air gun approach. Dang! Those guns are as good as some regular fire arms! Yes I'll need a small investment for a decent compressor but it sounds like a good way to go. Compressors | Airgun Depot

Thanks again, I knew you guys would have great ideas!!! Now all I need is more scrips, LOL!!

Rob Lancaster

In other news,,,, in the wee hours of the morning, there were three cops chasing a (unlicensed) fourteen year old at speeds of well over a 100 mph. Oh man you should see the wreckage. It looked like the L1011 crash site in Sioux City Iowa... There were three others in the car, all were ejected and killed.. The driver is in critical condition in the hospital. This must be what good old dad meant by, ("speed kills boys"),, period.

Ok how's this??
The three cops that were chasing the car, ALL LEFT the scene of the crash.. Say what!? They all went around the block and waited for the 911 calls to come in. Then they returned to the scene and asked this local guy that was standing there, and I quote, "wow what happened here?" ... I no s%#t you! HA! LOL!!! He was shocked because he saw the whole thing.. LOL!!

He tells the cops, and I quote, "you should know, you da guys when cause dis.. HA LOL!!!>>>>>>>> You see here in Hawaii there is a no chase policy for the cops. Now you know why the all left the scene. Those boys are in big trouble now. I bet they get crucified for doing there jobs....... Remember, we're a blue state. :sad0147:

Top Bottom