What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
So I just blew up a cap on my speaker system for my computer... Made one hell of a sound. I don't think I have ever blown up a cap before (by cap I mean capacitor). Anyone have a really good speaker with sub solution for me? I'm apparently in the market for a new system....
So the quote above was posted Oct. 19'th and I have had this sub sitting in here since then taunting me. So I decided to go ahead and pull off the blown up cap and burnt up resistor and see if I can fix this sub system.

First thing I did was took my new Amtech flux (this stuff is awesome compared to the cheap crap out there!!!!) and fixed the two solder bridges I had on the board that caused it to blow up. This is what I get for soldering in a hurry. For those that don't know, flux will cause the solder to only attach to the terminals and makes it harder to bridge a gap. It will also make it hard to apply excess solder. But I cleaned up those solder bridges and removed the cap and resistor.

Next, I had to find a schematic for this system, and I actually found one, but I don't think it was this exact model. The reason I say that is because on the capacitor, it said it was a 1µf 20v, but what blew up was a 100µf 16v. So I just went with what was in front of my eyes and wrote it down.

The resistor is a little harder and I did have to go by the schematic and hope that is what I need. According to the schematic it is just a simple 1k ohm resistor. Cheap and easy.

I put both of those in my cart and less than $5.00 later they will be on their way. Lets hope I can get it up and running. Not sure what I'm going to do with the system when I do get it going, but I would like to get it going lol.

Always something going on...

Oh yea, replaced the capacitors on my washing machine that were dead and leaking and now the drain pump is locking up... ugh.....

grumpy1

Well had a enjoyable day but not a successful day went to hunting club today was in my stand about 45 minutes before first light . Was perfect weather high 20's low 30's light wind . Ride my 4 wheeler to about 100 or so yards from stand almost had on to many clothes almost broke a sweat before I got settled in stand. But anyway I enjoy going down there. We lease 850 archers an it backs up to a WMA my spot is in a hardwood with a creek as boundary WMA on one side of our lease on other side. This is about the right time to huntin there most of them leaves have fallen already. I have a good plot there about 1/2 acre food plot where years they used as loading dock for when they cut timber. Long clear shot 250 yards ain't never made a shot like that. But when leaves fall you can pick your shooting lanes through them hardwoods anywhere from close to maybe 150 max . My stand faces nne an on a morning like today that sun kinda warming up a little...what can I say mister sandman appears . No telling how many have just walked by I would never know. To me ain't nothing like being there a daybreak just as the sun rises a light looks like thousands of tiny diamonds dancing the sun light...an then they gone just about as quick as they appear. How in the world can folks in the city experience that. Samething with them spider webs they as big as top of 55 gallon barrel dew just sparkling in first light. I've walked into then things an in the dark them seem 10 times bigger . Don't worry much now but one of my fears when season first opens an it still warm is going up ladder to stand an come face to face with snake at platform even noposionus would probably cause me to fall an my stand is 20 feet tall...plus the older I get the less I bounce. Saw 6 pointer an a couple of does squarils everywhere an loud an the squawking crows..but yeah I had a good day

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Cleaned out the refrigerator-inator, ( the inator is a joke that non of you will get unless you watch phinias and ferb). I am talking all out toss everything leave nothing cleaned out. Next is the freezer.

Yesterday was a bad day, had the case of "dumb thumbs" with a lift/reach truck. I was pulling down a plastic skid with our smaller index tables. There was I think 5 or 6 tables on this skid. Each table was fully built, tested and waiting to be shipped. The shelf was about 15 feet up, got the forks under the skid lifted the skid just a smidge and started to bring the forks back into the truck. The skid got hung on the rack so I went to lift it and instead I dropped the forks, pushed the lever instead of pulling it. I panicked and went to raise the forks and dropped them even more which caused 4 of the index tables to slide off and smash on the ground. I got lucky because my head was outside the lift truck. I got it pulled in just in time.

Today I found out the damages, I killed 1 complete table because to of the mounting holes in the base broke off (casted steel chasey), killed a couple motors (2 might be salvageable, wont know till they are tested). A bunch of expendable parts like fasteners. We did how ever save 3 tables and were rebuilt and are now running on overnight test. So far so good.

Best part is I spoke with the supervisor about this and right now its being chalked up under the lessons learned column.

Thats been my 2 days this week.

Tony

Staff member
Damn, that sucks. not sure what the price is on those, but I'm sure it's not that cheap. Oh, and for the record, where you spelled "chasey", it's actually "Chassis". I read that and kept asking "who is Casey and why was he made of cast steel...." lmao. I guess it could be a game played as a kid... "Chase-E" hahaha.

At least your boss is being cool about it!

murankar

Staff member
Around $10k for all four units. with 3 still working I still cost the company around $2500 for the stuff that could not get fixed. Good news is that the one unit can be tore down for repair parts.

yes i ment what you spelled, not what i did. some words kick my back side but hey at least i can spell Chaos.

here is the table; WEISS : Type TC - rotary table,indexer,machine building,rotary machines,indexing ring,automation equipment,linear machine,rotary stage,rotary index,rotary indexing,rotary indexer,indexers,rotary transfer,indexing rotary tables,assembly machinery,assembly machines

It was the 150 class. Its the smallest unit we have here in the US.

murankar

Staff member
I Got some video of the load bank. Put my first two packs on it today. Holy crap I got some major voltage sag under load. I think 2 years and 6 months on packs is a killer.

Since these pulse packs are basically dead it took about 4 minutes to discharge.

My video is a 1 take no edit straight to YouTube. So I can't make any claims as to how good its going to turn out.

@Tony I was right about the .04 divisor. I also had to add in .4 amps to get it with in a .1 of the power supply.

Tony

Staff member
Nice, I will watch and comment after I finish up a few things.

Right now, I'm doing some learning on the RPI3b+ because I can. This little guy is fun to play with...

murankar

Staff member
I have one of those too. In sound have loved to do this project with that instead. Big problem is that the rpi is more of a data processor and not really a controller.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, it has the header to do this kind of stuff, but the arduino is just more suited to the task.

Tony

Staff member
I learned today that you can run linux within windows 10 with a simple app. Very easy to setup and get installed. Works great if you are having to modify linux files and don't have a dedicated linux machine...

RandyDSok

I ordered another set of updates for my computer today... this time a new MB and memory ( already have a CPU that was just waiting for these ).

I ordered a MSI B450 Tomahawk AM4 Motherboard along with some 16Gb Corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 3200 ( dual channel ) memory. As I mentioned, I already have the CPU, an AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad core to go with them. Along with the items I'd already gotten, the RX 560 4Gb GPU, Crucial MX300 1Tb M.2 SSD, a 450w EVGA PS and a Cougar Solution2 MidTower case... that'll all make a new system for the house finally.

Tony

Staff member
Nice. I need to get on the ball and order up my system... Going to be way overkill, but it should last for quite a few years lol.

Tony

Staff member
I love Linux but man, sometimes this OS can be quite picky. Still working on the RPi setting up Plex. I had it running on it just fine before but the mapped drive was to my old router and my new router doesn't accept my usb3 nas drive. So instead I'm giving the RPi its own drive but when mapping it would completely brick the RPi with a startup error. I think I'm getting it figured out though.

Tony

Staff member
So after a little while, I started having a random reboot issue. Once I would start doing something, like copying over files onto the external HDD, the Pi or RPi would just reboot out of nowhere. The external HDD is self powered since I know the RPi doesn't like to power USB components. I have a mechanical keyboard that I tried using and I had to put that on a self powered USB hub... So yes, it's picky...

But this reboot issue was really starting to make me mad. I had unplugged EVERYTHING except the power cable and it still started rebooting. I was using a 2A power source which should have been enough for what I am doing. I have not overclocked this little chip so 2A should have been enough.

I thought what the hell, lets toss on a 2.5A power supply and see if that works. Sure enough, I am copying files over as I type this and it is running normally. I think I'm just going ot purchase a 5A power supply for the Pi and call it done.

And just so everyone knows, again this week I only get one day off. I came home Friday night, had yesterday off, and today I get to leave out for an early morning delivery. This job is putting me in a very bad place to say the least. My only release from my hell of a reality is getting on here and having some fun talking about Rc. So I thank each and every one of you who keep this site running by helping out. I'm working on an exit plan so I can get back to what I like doing best, creating helpful videos for you all. It's just taking me longer than I thought it would unfortunately.

RandyDSok

But this reboot issue was really starting to make me mad. I had unplugged EVERYTHING except the power cable and it still started rebooting. I was using a 2A power source which should have been enough for what I am doing. I have not overclocked this little chip so 2A should have been enough.

One of the biggest issues on my Android sticks I was trying to use for my media centers I've had in the past were those pesky 2A power supplies... I suspect that in typical cheap fashion, they were actually marketing 2A peak supplies and not actually 2A continuous ones. I know that the forums were awash with reports of people replacing theirs with quality power supplies ( or higher rated ) and their problems usually went away.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, I'm starting to wonder the same thing, but don't want to get my multimeter out to test it lol. I have a power supply that I just found for an old GPS unit that I had which is 5v 5A. I'm thinking about just wiring on a micro USB plug onto it and using that to power the RPi.

Now though I'm having another issue... I'm transferring a lot of files and the unit is just locking up. Only a solid red light and no green light (red is power, green is activity on the RPi). Filezilla just stops in its tracks until I power cycle the unit. It's one thing after another when I'm dealing with Linux....

Top Bottom