What Did You Do Today???

murankar

Staff member
Linux mint is a branch of Ubuntu. Cinnamin is the flashy windows manager.

The ubuntu team has done a fabulous job advancing linux to a point where the home user can use it without a computer science degree.

The Nvidia drivers are still a PITA. In some cases you want the open source and in other cases you want the actual Nvidia closed source drivers. For most users the open source version works just fine.

RandyDSok

I guess that life is thinking that I was in need of new computers more than I was thinking it... :D

The main computer I use at work, the motherboard decided to not show all of the memory I had it populated with... So I switched around memory and it seemed that no matter what slots I put them in... it wasn't going to show more than 4Gb and that was all. Since it obviously wasn't an issue with a bad slot... I was hoping that somehow the BIOS had just gotten corrupted ( power a power spike or some such ) so I reflashed the BIOS .... and then nothing.. it wouldn't even post after that. So it's pretty clear the problem was something bad in the hardware and not a software related issue.

So I ordered a new motherboard ( the same MSI B450 Tomahawk I'd gotten for the house since it's a rock solid board ), a Ryzen 3 2200G ( since I only need basic graphics for work ) and 8Gb of DDR4 3200 memory ( 16Gb would have been nice but really 8 does me fine at work and I needed to save a few bucks with Christmas right around the corner ).

The new stuff should get here about Monday... so I won't be down long. I'm in the process of setting up a temporary Windows running on my old home components so I can get a few of the files I hadn't backed up recently and have them available for when I do another clean install on the new parts.

Tony

Staff member
If you need a computer to use temporarily, I can toss together a little Q6600 for ya that you can use for a while. I was just going to turn it into a file server lol. A little overkill...

RandyDSok

Thanks Tony,

I've got it covered and I've even got a temp system up ( my old home computer parts basically ) so I can get to my accounting if I need it. As for the office rent, that's covered also in a way... it's "on account" so to speak. Way back in the day, when myself a the others ( that's now retired or quit CH ) first started, the guy that I'm now sub-leasing space from used to sub-lease from CH and had to put his rent "on account" with us for about a year... so now if I'm short he doesn't mind repaying me the same favor, I just hate having to use that is all.

murankar

Staff member
Got neXtRC up and running on openSuse Tubleweed. Guess who can't find is product code key and password.

THIS GUY

RandyDSok

Got neXtRC up and running on openSuse Tubleweed. Guess who can't find is product code key and password.

THIS GUY

I always save mine in a folder I created for the download itself.... it's saved me a ton of headaches once I started doing that.

murankar

Staff member
I think I did save it but its in a crashed hard drive. I then I thought in had it on my external drive and nope. So now after the holidays I may be buying it again.

RandyDSok

Speaking of downloads... I'm currently downloading the latest LTS version of Ubuntu to check out where it's gotten to at this point.

Apparently Fedex is going to deliver a few of my Cyber Monday deals today, so I've got to head into work to receive them and may as well be doing something productive while I wait. These were late Weds deals that I didn't expect to see until Monday ( coming from CA ) and typically Fedex doesn't deliver on Saturday unless you pay extra for that... so much for typical.

RandyDSok

I think I did save it but its in a crashed hard drive. I then I thought in had it on my external drive and nope. So now after the holidays I may be buying it again.

Hopefully they keep a record of their sales and can email you another copy after you contact them... crosses fingers

bigone5500

Too difficult to make a secure connection. XT60 is easier for me to pull apart.

Battery is done too. Just finished.

20181202_200716.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Too hard to make a connection? With the bullet style connectors, of which you can solder outside the plastic housing which is why a lot of people like them, usually make a fantastic connection. With the XT60's, you have to solder them in the housing which can cause the housing to melt. So it is advisable to plug the opposite end onto the plug you are soldering.

With this said though, I was just wondering. I'm actually thinking about converting my entire fleet over to XT60's. I have a soldering iron that can get hot enough to keep from melting the plastic (sounds counter intuitive doesn't it lol) but I may have a little 'sumin' sumin' up my sleeve on that hehe. Working on a new video. Going to be a while.

I'm sure you have asked why I have not completed the change over to XT60's yet.... Well, when you have over 100 plugs to change, you would wait too hahahaha. Going to be a LOT of work...

bigone5500

I use that hakko knock off 60w iron from banggood and it does exceptionally well. I also use a little RMA type flux inside the connector and on the wire to help flow the solder.

Tony

Staff member
I thought about getting that little 936 knock off just to test. Decided against it because of the shady electronics they use. As long as it works, I guess that is what matters. I may have to get it just to test it.

do me a favor, run a continuity test from the tip of the iron and the ground prong on the plug. It should show continuity.

Top Bottom