What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
So I just blew up a cap on my speaker system for my computer... Made one hell of a sound. I don't think I have ever blown up a cap before (by cap I mean capacitor). Anyone have a really good speaker with sub solution for me? I'm apparently in the market for a new system....

Admiral

Must be exciting around your place Tony, there always seem to be something blowing up or breaking down, I don't get all those ups & downs around here. LOL

Tony

Staff member
It made one hell of a sound since the sound board is inside the sub lmao. Then, smoke started rolling out from under my desk and then nothing but the smell despair after that...

Tony

Staff member
Oh yea, I also replaced my well pump, AGAIN, yesterday.... Been taking showers and such with a garden hose from my grandmas house lmao. It worked quite well actually except in the summer you ONLY had HOT water lmao. Winter, no water because it would freeze hence why I had to get that pump installed.

Tony

Staff member
Picked up a new speaker system yesterday. It's pretty good. Better than what I had. I get to enjoy it for one day and then I'm back on the road.... ugh....

murankar

Staff member
The last 2 days I have been drafting the layout on paper for the load bank. I finally found a heatsink for it and just have to order it. I have a few more things to get and do before I add to the article. I may just rewrite it.

Tony

Staff member
@Admiral, I figured you would get a kick out of this... Had to replace my Asus AC3100 router today.... Lost another WAN port lmao. Exciting as you say? Not so much lol. I did go with a different router this time though. Hopefully I can setup all of my shares again and get things working the way it was on the old router...

Admiral

The more you have hanging off the network the more to go wrong, I'm having issues with the wife's computer, probably time for an upgrade, it was top of the line in 2010 but getting way behind now.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, that is the way all of our computers are now. Great when we got them, but now they are just dated lol.

Tony

Staff member
Guess what...... washing machine died while I was out on the road.... it never ends.

So after a lot of cleaning and diagnosing I think I found the issue....

F64F5713-9D61-48F5-A79A-4C052E17DAE5.jpeg 40A4A991-4C3D-4588-A55B-F709B6BB1EEF.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
There are actually two of these 2200µf 10v capacitors on this board. Well, one on the main board which I have already removed and the one you are seeing is the one on the daughter board. Both had the ends bulging out and both had that nasty crap oozing out of them. I would say this is the issue we have been fighting for about 5 years now.

The issue is, on our front load Kenmore Elite (which is pretty much Whirlpool) washer, we kept getting the SUD error. This is a legit error if you use standard detergent or too much detergent. It will detect suds and it will shut the washer down. Another code for this is the F35 code which means the exact same thing, you have suds in your machine.

Well, the last time this happened, the APS or Analog Pressure Sensor had went bad. I ordered a new (used) one and it fixed the issue. A couple years later, we were getting it again. I blew into the APS and it started working again. Fast forward to last week and the codes came up and kept coming up. Could not get it to finish a cycle. So what did I do, I ordered a new APS on Saturday (one week ago today) and it was delivered MONDAY!!! Now that is fast as hell shipping :bolt:

The wife installed it (very simple install, one plug and one rubber tube) and nope, same error. So I started looking at different forums and could not come up with anything. But I did see one where it stated it was the CCU which is pretty much the brain of the washer. But it gave no details on what to look for or what components were at fault.

Lets back up. I came home yesterday and immediately started working on the washer. First thing I did was test the APS that she installed and everything was fine. I had no doubts that it wasn't. So from there I kept running test after test until an F21 error came up which is a slow drain code. Basically if the drain runs for 13 minutes, it will kick this code. So I figured I had a blockage in the line somewhere between the drum (where the clothes go) to where it spits out the water into the drain in my wall. So I pulled the trap under the washer and there was crap in there (very nasty and horrible smelling black crap at that) including a penny, and a quarter with some lint mixed in. So I cleaned all of that and still nothing. Then I cleaned the line from the drum to the trap which has a check ball in it, again nothing. Then I pulled off the inside drain line that goes from the trap up to the back of the washer, again this is on the inside of the machine. This hose had some horrible crap in it from the 10+ years we have used this machine. After completely destroying my brand new shirt (first time wearing it was yesterday...) with bleach water, I got the line clean. From there I did the line that goes from the back of the machine into the wall. Everything there was fine.

After all of that, I figured I had nothing to lose, it's time to start looking at component level repair now. Meaning capacitors, resistors, relays and so on which are soldered directly onto PCB's. And that is when I found the two capacitors one of which is pictured in the post above.

Anyone have any 2200µf 10v capacitors? lmao. I can get two of them for about $5.00 shipped to my door, but was hoping to get them today and have the wife happy to have her machine back. So if you have them, let me know. I REALLY need them!!! lol. Happy wife, happy life, you know...

Tony

Staff member
Alright, I ordered 4 new capacitors (you know I'm going to screw at least two of them up lmao), some desoldering wick (2mm wide) and some paste flux. I have gone all these years without using flux, and I have a feeling this resulted in the death of my sub on my computer speaker system. I think I bridged a connection somewhere. A little flux would have allowed it to flow where it needed and made it harder to bridge a connection. So when I get my one day off next week, I can desolder these caps (this cap...) and open up the holes to install the new ones. Hopefully this will get my wifes machine working again so I can use it... See how that works.... lmao.

Tony

Staff member
There had better not be any fire, my wife will kill me. It will cost us about $1800 to replace these units.... Can't have a mis-matched set you know... lmao

Tony

Staff member
Doing some thinking on what kind of videos to start up when I can. I have a feeling the videos are going to get a lot more technical rather than just generic videos. Thoughts?

Top Bottom