What Did You Do Today???

liquid1

Dang straight it would be trouble for sure. If I was rich I would build one for kicks and giggles with flying areas

Tony

Staff member
I took the ole Camaro out for a drive today. The alarm kept going off on its own (has happened before) so I figured the battery was getting a little low. In the past, if the battery gets low, the alarm would just randomly go off. Usually in the middle of the night. I have cameras, I checked the cameras and there was nothing. But, either charging the battery with a battery charger (the correct way mind you) or just firing it up and driving it (very hard on the alternator), it usually makes it stop. But the car is very hard to start with a battery that is that low.

Today, alarm went off and I went out and it had timed out before I got there. There is a 90 second delay that keeps it going then it automatically shuts off. I decided since I had not driven the car in a very long time that I would just start it up if I could, put air in the right front which I need to get fixed (sidewall is leaking because the chrome is peeling), adding a little water to her since I have a small heater hose leak (new hoses are about $180...), check the oil, check the power steering and head to the gas station. I then decided to put about a gallon of gas in it from the can for the mowers just to make sure I make it to the gas station lmao.

I get in it, put it in N and turn the key. The car fires right up. No dead battery. So I have no idea why the alarm went off. I'm about to disable it. No one messes with my stuff around here anyway. They know I and my neighbors have guns and we will shoot them lol. But as it is sitting there running the noise that I have had on and off started getting pretty loud. Then, it caused enough vibration for the computer to think the engine was knocking and set the SES light. I had thought it was either the power steering pump or the tensioner or idler pulley causing it, but it was my AC compressor. I blew the front seal out of it quite a while back (probably 4 years now or more) and just never replaced it. As long as the clutch doesn't kick in, it is just another pulley.

Well, somehow this thing has gotten so hot that it has warped the springs that pull the clutch away from the pulley so it is constantly dragging. There is proof of this in the forum of metal shavings stuck to the clutch which is now magnetized from the friction and the cycles from the electromagnet that kick the compressor on and off. So not only will I now be driving to the gas station to get gas and charge up the battery, but I will also be driving into town to the parts store to start pricing parts.

So I fill up the tire with air, filled all of the fluids and headed out. This was the first time I have driven the car since I modified my exhaust. Video below. One thing I had to be careful of is the direction of the bend (dump) on the end of the exhaust to keep it from resonating inside the cab. Until today, I didn't know if I had gotten it correct. I hit the highway and started going through the gears and holy hell this thing sounds awesome, and absolutely no resonance or drone (you know, the proper way to use the word "drone") at all. Just the sweet sound of that American V8!

I headed to the gas station, filled her up with some premium (you have to otherwise it runs like crap) and headed to the parts store. Car just sounding awesome.

I get there and go inside and start looking up parts. I know what I need, I need a pulley kit and a front seal. The pulley kit is $80 and the front seal is $12. However, they have another kit that is the complete compressor, dryer (accumulator), orifice tube, seals and oil for $241. Not sure what way I want to go at this point. Because I could just spend $36 and get an AC Delete pulley. And yes, you must use the pulley because of the way the LT1 is designed, it sucks, I know. From there, I headed back to the house to talk it over with the financial committee... But man was it good to finally get that car back out on the road.

Tony

Staff member
Went out and flew a pack today. I'm sure you guys don't want to see that video that I shot...

Tony

Staff member
Fired up the good ole plotter today to cut out some registration numbers for my step dads boat. Makes me want to cut some 'other' things out hehe.

It wasn't without loss though. I didn't realize when I walked away from my desk that I had dropped my lapel mic on the floor. Yup, stepped right on it and broke it.... Can't win...

Tony

Staff member
I think I have made my final order of seed to get my garden going this year. I waited this long because we still have some freezing temps in the forecast and because I plant on a raised row, my soil temp can drop quite a bit. But in a couple of weeks, we will be planting! I need to go out today and see if I can get the evil green tiller running. Yea, this is not going to do my back any good at all...

Tony

Staff member
Not when your back is like mine lol. And I was right. I had to take the carb and fuel tank off of it and clean all of that out, finally got it started and had to fight to keep it running but did get what I needed to get tilled, tilled up. And now, of course, I'm paying for it. But, I think this may just be exercise pain and not injury pain. We will find out in a couple hours lol.

Smoggie

Down at the beach with the dogs again today. Took a couple of pics of the old WWII defence bunkers that litter the beach:
IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0585.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Ugh, I wake up today, still no AC and the humidity is at 92%. I feel like I'm drowning...

Tony

Staff member
So today I wanted to do some work on my network drives, and I get on my good computer (Bitchin' i7 is its name lol) and I open up windows explorer and head over to "This PC". NONE of my network drives are there! I check my router which I'm using as the 'server' and everything is setup correctly there. I can still see my plex media server, but nothing from my network drives that I use as backup drives.

It turns out that in one of the latest updates on Windows 10, they changed some settings that KEEPS windows from seeing the network drives. I had to go in and turn on one parameter (actually two, but under one heading) and I had to make a change somewhere else which I can't remember now. Then, the drives showed up, I was able to search for them and restore the network link in windows explorer. I really wish they would leave this crap alone and ONLY update security issues. Well, sans the issue with the CPU which has slowed down just about every computer out there...

So yea, not getting anything done but yet banging my head on the desk trying to figure this crap out... It's a Monday for sure...

Tony

Staff member
6 years ago today I received my brand new DX8! Man that was a great day!

And Jared, those network drives I said I was having issues with, they are for backups. I have lost way too much with phones and computers to not back them up. Sucks though bro, I know the feeling.

Top Bottom