What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
Well, I have a lot of things in the works right now and I'm trying to get them all done. Once I get caught up, things will slow down for me, but will be much better for all of you. I just have to get to that point.

Today, I spend the entire day in the shop. Cleaning, cleaning, and more cleaning! I lubed all of my drawers on my tool box and got them sliding beautifully and I also cleaned out my tool cart which somehow had engine assembly lube spilled in it. If you know what this stuff is, then you know just how thick it is. I used a 12" putty knife to scrape most of it up, then WD-40 to clean some more, and finally brake cleaner. That sucked. Then, I used the cleaned tool cart to put all of my tools that have been on the floor, work bench and everywhere else and rolled them all to the tool box and PUT THEM ALL AWAY :yahoo:

So I can actually find things now lmao. Then, I got side tracked and fixed my air tank (just a 10 gallon, but really useful when you need it), made up another air line for the shop then a buddy came over and asked if I could do some work for him in a few weeks. And we also talked about some other business which if anything comes of it, you all will see it on my brokeauto channel and maybe even the Z28 channel.

Back to cleaning, did that until about 1730 and that is pretty much when my back told me that I was done. So I came inside, took a fantastic hot shower to loosen up my back and here I am. Of course more went on than just that, but figure you don't want to read a play by play....

Tony

Staff member
Man, today was one of those days where you work your butt into the dirt and have almost nothing to show for it at the end of the day! The ONLY thing I actually accomplished out in the shop was I finally mounted my broke shift knob on my custom short shifter. Sounds easy, but trust me it wasn't. And I have absolutely no idea why I didn't grab the camera for this. I guess I was just frustrated with the other things that had went wrong before that and I just wanted to work on something to get my mind off of all of the crap. But dayum that shifter looks good! lmao.

I did get Broke Auto - Bitchin' Auto updated to the latest version and I did shoot a BS video for the site basically informing everyone of the plans for the future. And let me tell you, there are a lot of them.

And then here I am... About to fire up netflix and grab a glass of whisky and start winding down.

What are were you all up to today?

Tony

Staff member
Oh yeah!!! Finally got to do some welding today!!!!! :yahoo:

I took the entire exhaust off of my Camaro, cut the Flowmaster Super 44 off the back, and went back to my Dynomax Bullet. Just a 16" 3" ID Straight through muffler (if you want to call that a muffler lmao) that sounds absolutely awesome!!!

I did however touch my wrist to a piece that I had just cut off. It was not red hot, but it was pretty close. Yea, that is going to burn for a little while. Just like my other scars, that one tells a story! lmao.

RandyDSok

I got to brush off my general electrical and plumbing skills... I changed out my ex-GF's water well pump pressure relay switch. It's really not rocket science, it's just something I've never done previously so I did my research first before starting.

First up... finding out which breakers ( it's 220v, so two breakers ) the pump was actually on. Several years had passed since the breaker box had been rebuilt ( after a tornado had it's way with it and other things around the house ), so you couldn't see what breaker did what. There were only three "joined" breakers... so I didn't expect it to take long... in fact, I got it on the first try. So... the breaker was off... and I tested it to make certain with a new fork type multimeter I'd picked up ( more on that later ).

Next... close the valve going to the house and started to drain the pressure tank through the drain faucet. I took it another step just in case... once the water quit draining I hooked my air compressor up to the tank and got a lot more water out... when it started spitting out dirty water and air... I turned off the compressor.

Next... took a pic of the wires just to play it safe and to ensure I didn't forget where they went ( there's only 6, so no biggie ) and undid all of the wireing. Then unscrewed the old relay switch off of the pipe ... cleaned off the old teflon plumbers tape... cleaned off the threads and whatever other junk I saw... applied new teflon tape... and screwed on the new relay switch. After cleaning up the wiring a little bit... I reattached the wiring. Now... I closed off the drain faucet... checked the pressure in the tanks bladder, topped it off to a couple of pounds less than the pressure switches low cut on pressure... and went and turned the pump breaker switches back on. Opened the valve going to the house and had the exGF turn on the taps inside... checked that the pressure switch cycled on/off a couple of times... And closed everything up.

All totaled... I'm guessing I spent about an hour and a half to do a job I'd never done... that included the time to find and verify the right breakers as well as however long it took to drain the pressure tank. I even had taken a short computer trouble shooting call in all of that time...

Tony

Staff member
Sounds fun. Not as much fun as one catching on fire like happened to me at my old house but still fun lol. Maybe I should have called you when my pump went out.... Definitely could have used the 4th hand lmao.

RandyDSok

Before starting the pressure relay switch job... I decided I wanted to get a new batch of tools. I've got a ton of computer sized tools... but my real all other types of job tools have either been borrowed and not returned... or I'd put them here there and yon... and really didn't want to search the house for them.

So I headed out to Harbor Freight.... and really not expecting to see many good quality tools... I found myself pretty surprised. They've still got some cheap stuff to be certain... but they've now got some pretty decent looking stuff now also. In fact.. so nice, I've now got just about full set of most of the tools I'd ever need again. Now I'm not talking about every little tool you could think of... I just covered the basics really well.

A 20pc SAE 3/8s drive socket set, 22 pc SAE/metric combination wrench set, 32pc screwdriver set, 3pc adjustable wrench set and few odds and ends as well as a 15" tool bag to put it all in. In addition, I got a voltage tester and a fork type multimeter by Ames.

Here's a few shots of it all...

IMG_20180124_123346730.jpg

IMG_20180124_123601982.jpg

64016_I_sm.jpg

RandyDSok

Sounds fun. Not as much fun as one catching on fire like happened to me at my old house but still fun lol. Maybe I should have called you when my pump went out.... Definitely could have used the 4th hand lmao.

Or NOT.... LMAO...

I wouldn't want to pull out a water pump period... or anything more involved probably either.... :D

Tony

Staff member
It's actually not complicated at all, but at 340' deep, it's heavy as all hell lmao. And I had an injured back and my brother in law, well he has all kinds of issues and we pulled it as the wife had a hold of the T handle I made walking it out in to the field as we were pulling it.

Tony

Staff member
Yes it is. Unfortunately we can't drink it straight out of the tap. I mean, we could, but with Hydrogen Sulfide in our water (very low concentration), it just doesn't taste as good. My old house had a 90' well, and the water out of the tap was absolutely awesome. And that is only about 3 miles from me... So all of our drinking and cooking water comes out of a pretty good size filter and it has its own pressure tank.

Tony

Staff member
I just realized, it was one year ago today that I pulled that pump and installed the new one. We were without water for about 2 weeks, maybe 3 before we could get the new one.

The old one is on the left, the new one is on the right...

16299513_10212280391708384_3190046290763240311_n.jpg

liquid1

These photos bring back nightmares, I like the submersible wells a lot better then our foot well. We almost ran dry back in 2005 I’m only 90’ down my dads is around 400 best water to date. Growing up on a well really makes me hate city water , guess I’m use to the sand rock taste lol

RandyDSok

I remember when I was growing up and we visited my Aunt/Uncle and cousins place ... their well was in the middle of some gypsum. Really terrible tasting water. Decades later... they drilled a new well just a little further over and it was probably the cleanest I'd tasted. I remember them talking about how if they'd known that before, they would have moved it long ago but didn't realize it would make that much difference.

It's a costly gamble just to find out if it'd be better or not just moving a little ways...

Tony

Staff member
So I purchased an X Y table for my drill press last night. Usually about $50, found one for $25. Had to snatch it up.

liquid1

I went to back my 01 Lariat F150 4x4 out the other day and brake pedal went to the floor, yep front passengers brake line blew out , hoping ford dealer has one in morning

Attachments

• CD4FBE3A-0573-45F7-92C1-8D855EE4093A.jpeg
    CD4FBE3A-0573-45F7-92C1-8D855EE4093A.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 4

Tony

Staff member
Tell me that is not the scariest feeling in the world! I have had that happen at highway speeds. Not a good feeling.

Tony

Staff member
So I just got my finger stuck in a GPU fan running full tilt.... I have never had a cut immediately spray blood like that... Typing now sucks.....

Tony

Staff member
Well that sucker is trash now. There was enough force to break a blade on this thing... The crappy thing is, I was just testing this card. Guess that is what I get for seeing if it was seated properly while it was running lmao. Man this friggin hurts.

Top Bottom