What Did You Do Today???

Rob Lancaster

Yea, Ruger Mark II .22 LR.

That's what I thought. One of my brothers had one a long time ago.
Boy their expensive now...
You know, I've been kind of in the market for a good semi-auto pistol that fires the .22LR round.. Makes sense since my Ruger 10-22 LR fires the same round. Any ideas??

RandyDSok

All guns and ammo have gone crazy expensive ( if you could even find them ) since the onset of the pandemic. So you have to judge the current prices accordingly.

I've owned both a Ruger Standard .22 with the 4 3/4" barrel in blue and the MkII model with the 5 1/2" barrel in stainless. I liked the Standard a lot but after feeling how the bull barrel pointed, I traded it in on the bull barrel after only a couple of years and haven't looked back. I've had mine since the early '80s and have had zero issues with it. Ruger has always made a quality firearm and stands behind their products really well.

Another brand of .22 cal pistol I was looking at ( way back then ) was the Browning .22 ( not sure of the models back then and now they have a lot of them ). As to what I'd recommend would completely depend on what type of pistol you like to hold and point... or for that matter, what other pistols you may already own in other calibers. I would recommend going with a good name brand that stands behind their products. At the time I was looking, I was interested in a target style pistol the most and both the Ruger and Browning's were the "one's to get".

Consider what style you'd prefer for your needs. If I were trying to get something similar to what I owned and had my Taurus 9mm back then, perhaps I'd have gone with a Taurus .22 cal that was the same style so I could also be practicing with a similar style frame when target shooting. If on the other hand, "you've got something like that" and you just would like to include a different style in your collection, then go in those other directions. Example, the Ruger 22's now come in their standard style with a Luger P08 style frame or a more Colt ( ish )1911 style called the 22/45 models.

I can certainly recommend the Ruger... but there are a lot of other good brands to also consider. Look at the ones that most appeal to you. If they are too high priced right now, wait for them to come down or just keep looking at the ad's and sales for a bargain.

Rob Lancaster

Hi all, hey, anyone considering checking out the Perseid meteor shower? The peak hours are from midnight to sunrise on the morning of the 13th. (Friday morning local time).. The moon will not be a problem this year...

Attachments

• Geminid 2017 (1).jpg
    Geminid 2017 (1).jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 4

RandyDSok

I seem to have bad luck if I try and schedule time for watching a meteor shower by itself... I just seem to miss the good ones. So if I catch a good one, it'll be from me going star/sky watching and they just coincide.

Blade 400

Thanks Randy, good advice, my thoughts too. I'll just tike my time and save up. If I can, lol...
Hi Rob,
I went to my local Gun Club and told them I was looking for an Air Rifle for mainly target shooting and possibly for small game hunting. There were so many makes and types to chose from, but I decided on a new budget priced rifle and came away with a .22 SMK B2 - 2! It`s the same as a B2 but has a much nicer stock and a rubber re-coil pad. Based on my previous gun experience, I consider it to be mid/upper class /quiet/accurate/bluing very good/smooth recoil ..excellent value for the money - Just £60 new :biggrin1: I`ve just ordered Telescopic sights, Gun oil and a cleaning kit!

This is an old review of the B2

My gun pics!

Attachments

• IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    639.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    640.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    531.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    647.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1398.JPG
    IMG_1398.JPG
    636 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1399.JPG
    IMG_1399.JPG
    843.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Rob Lancaster

My nephew and brother in-law have those type of riffles. One is a .177 and the other is a .22. One has an optical site the other a scope. Both very accurate compared to my co2 pistol. One thing about those kind of guns are you don't go through ammo like I do with my Sig.. Ha!....

Rob Lancaster

I seem to have bad luck if I try and schedule time for watching a meteor shower by itself... I just seem to miss the good ones. So if I catch a good one, it'll be from me going star/sky watching and they just coincide.

Ok try this, just drop everything you need to do and let's plan a star party with the scopes and all for the morning of the 13th. LOL!

Last edited:

Blade 400

My nephew and brother in-law have those type of riffles. One is a .177 and the other is a .22. One has an optical site the other a scope. Both very accurate compared to my co2 pistol. One thing about those kind of guns are you don't go through ammo like I do with my Sig.. Ha!....
I just have the optical sight which is great for tin cans at various distances (just has up and down range adjustment) but not really for accurate target shooting. I have ordered a basic scope 4x20 and some targets! I was considering buying the .177 version as well, as the velocity is 25% faster so less dip over distance? I`ll see how I get on with this first. Yes ammo lasts longer and is reasonably priced - £7 for 500. I`ve just ordered some darts for target practice £5 for 10. I have an old dart board that I have taken the wire off and will fire the re-usable darts at it! The Plastic rear end of the dart is a bigger diameter than the metal tip and point so the rifled barrel doesn`t get scratched or scored. I saw a few videos on youtube of people putting a drop of vaseline in the pellet and it increases the velocity by almost 50%!!! I won`t be doing it as it damages the piston and breach seals and I don`t need it to be more powerful for target shooting. Maybe some people might do it for hunting???
Happy shooting :thumbsup:

RandyDSok

Ok try this, just drop everything you need to do and let's plan a star party with the scopes and all for the morning of the 13th. LOL!

You say that in jest and yet... beyond the shower there will be a lot of things to view and chat about during a star party on that night. So break out your caffeinated ( or alcoholic if you don't mind missing stuff after you doze off ) drink of choice, make up some snacks and get ready for a long night with a lot of things to check out.

There are really a lot of great things to gander at all through the night this time of year. It's almost too hard to know where to start. Just some of the many highlights starting early on, with what has to be my favorite globular cluster... M13 the Hercules Cluster shows nicely in a 6" telescope and is just breath taking looking much like a bunch of tiny diamonds spread on top of sea of black. Actually another nice one that is a little further to the west is the M3 cluster as well. Just towards the north from the Hercules Cluster is another favorite of mine called the Ring Nebula M57 which is a little tricky to find in Lyra since it's a bit dim at magnitude 8.8 but a pretty cool looking "smoke ring". Going to the south over by the Milky Way, there are literally a ton of nebulae and clusters. Two of my favorites are the Trifid and Lagoon Nebula which also show up nicely. To change things up, a little to the east of the Milky Way first you'll find Saturn, always a joy to see in just about any size scope and in a 6" the rings start resolving nicely. A little further east ( just a little bit ) is Jupiter with it's moons that can even be resolved in a nice set of binoculars. Neptune is a little further south and towards the east but at 7.7 magnitude, may be tough to resolve on any scope less than a 6". Shifting to the NE part of the sky, the Andromeda Galaxy is always a good sight to catch even with smaller scopes since it's actually larger than the size of the Moon. Of course only it's brighter inner core will show on smaller scopes with the outer edges still being dim in larger 16" scopes. On the opposite side of Mirach ( one of the brighter stars in the Andromeda constellation which the Andromeda Galaxy is near ) is the Triangulum Galaxy. Now move to the NW part of the sky up by the Big Dipper... just towards the horizon from the end star of the dippers handle you can find the Whirlpool Galaxy which at 8.1 magnitude is a challenge in a 6" scope that is well worth the effort to find. While at the Dipper, check out the second star in from the end of the handle and you'll see it's actually a binary star, always cool to see. As morning starts getting close... in the east, the Pleiades Cluster comes up ( as seen in Rob's picture above ) followed a little later by Orion and the Orion Nebula both of which are great even in binoculars.

Tony

Staff member
Sitting here for a while after my work servers went down... Nothing like working from home, and can't work... I'm really hoping they upgrade the servers soon...

Rob Lancaster

Oh man Randy, I wish I had a larger scope... My li'll 3" is very limited. I do love the computer drives though. Great tech!.. It's amazing how many people have no idea how beautiful the night sky really is... Limitless vistas!..........

Ok Tony, put that shot gun down. That won't fix the problem...... :banghead: Hang in there.......................

We just finished about a 3/4 gal batch of our special pizza sauce. Tomorrow,, the fresh dough is made and BOOM! We throw on some of the right cheese with peperoni, mushrooms, olives and kalua pork; oh my....................... :drools:

Fly-n-Low

I built this... fitted the barrel and all... The only sound you hear is the action and the projectile hitting the target!

Tactical Solutions billet receiver, bolt, etc. Kidd trigger group set at 2 pounds, Tac Sol shrouded aluminum bull barrel, GEMTECH suppresser, billet scope mounts, a Zeiss 3X9X40 scope, with a Hogue stock...

tac sol.jpg

Rob Lancaster

I forgot to mention that I haven't flown the 450 in awhile so I decided to cycle the 4 packs I have. No problems to report, except,, the wind. It's been very windy lately. Like 20, 25 and 30 mph windy. Did ok in the small back yard but man it's windy. The good part is, so far this is the coolest summer we've had in a long time..

Blade 400

I built this... fitted the barrel and all... The only sound you hear is the action and the projectile hitting the target!

Tactical Solutions billet receiver, bolt, etc. Kidd trigger group set at 2 pounds, Tac Sol shrouded aluminum bull barrel, GEMTECH suppresser, billet scope mounts, a Zeiss 3X9X40 scope, with a Hogue stock...

View attachment 23781
She`s a beauty o_O i love her lines, really smooth and sleek, the silencer is great ;)

Blade 400

I forgot to mention that I haven't flown the 450 in awhile so I decided to cycle the 4 packs I have. No problems to report, except,, the wind. It's been very windy lately. Like 20, 25 and 30 mph windy. Did ok in the small back yard but man it's windy. The good part is, so far this is the coolest summer we've had in a long time..
weather bad again here too so no flying or shooting - heavy rain and wind till tuesday and then bad after again - rackman helped me setup the phoenix sim so at least i have that :thumbsup: i`m itching to get my new telescopic sights zeroed in :biggrin1:

Blade 400

Oh man Randy, I wish I had a larger scope... My li'll 3" is very limited. I do love the computer drives though. Great tech!.. It's amazing how many people have no idea how beautiful the night sky really is... Limitless vistas!..........

Ok Tony, put that shot gun down. That won't fix the problem...... :banghead: Hang in there.......................

We just finished about a 3/4 gal batch of our special pizza sauce. Tomorrow,, the fresh dough is made and BOOM! We throw on some of the right cheese with peperoni, mushrooms, olives and kalua pork; oh my....................... :drools:
that pizza sauce sounds great :p could i have the recipe please Rob - enjoy ;)

Top Bottom