What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

Well after using this laptop for a little bit I can say for certain it will be great for keeping my coffee hot. This thing gets HOT. 120 right next to the power button. I got a few more days to return ot.

What do you guys suggest?

It really depends on what uses you plan to use the notebook for ... I scrolled back a little bit ( just a page ) in this thread and didn't even see a mention of you getting one or what your needs were for one... can't really make any suggestions based on that. So I'll do some generalization just to provide basic info at the least.

Notebooks will always run a bit on the warm side so... take note of the ambient air temps that you run it in, also make sure the air intakes and exhausts get plenty of room to do their jobs. Most notebooks are made for basic to general business needs and are really made for any gaming or production work with a focus on battery life more than performance. The ones that are made for higher end graphics work often run very warm compared to the others and need a cooler environment to work properly in not to mention will probably need to stay plugged into a wall as well since they are going to be power hungry.

Tony

Staff member
bigone5500 there should be some power settings that you can turn down to help with the heat when you do not need all of the power. 120 is only 48c, which is not that hot compared to the CPU, which is likely at about 70c and GPU which is likely higher than that.

You have stated you needed a new computer for quite some time that you could use to play on the sim without killing it. And this computer will do it. When you want to sim or do something that needs power, turn up the power and you're set. Just my $0.02

bigone5500

True. I just wish my interlink controller would work with RF7. 5 on this computer. RF won't detect it but my other Sims will.

RandyDSok

Hawaii was the only state to be able to see all of the eclipse. While we were clouded over in Oklahoma... had it been clear, we would have gotten to see just the total eclipse stage just as the Moon was setting. Those east of us would have seen nothing and those to the west would have seen the total eclipse portion and how much more of the stages depending on how far west you lived.

RandyDSok

As usual the clouds here on the windward side interfered big time with the event. Dang!..

That happens often with eclipses... lunar or solar. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the April 2024 solar eclipse has clear skies like the one I caught in 2017 in Missouri at a friends house. Many locations in the path of that eclipse had clouds. I need to get a decent filter for my next attempt. The last one was a hand made film I put on a clear filter. I also need to figure out how I'm going to make a dark enclosure for my camera since the rear screen is hard to see in bright light. The last time I used a large-ish box that I had cut a hole for the lens to stick out of and was a bit cumbersome to get in to focus and even setup in general.

Lightroom2_4000.jpg

RandyDSok

Then here are a few other shots that I enjoyed taking....

A lunar eclipse from 2017

DSC_4633_1.jpg

A couple shots of sun spots that I grabbed after the eclipse and before the filter I'd made came apart. At that time, the price of a decent glass solar filter had sky rocketed, so I put together one myself. I'd used a plastic solar film that I'd cut to size and stuck to a typical clear lens filter using just water ( didn't want soap in the mix just in case it affected the focus ) and it later fell off and didn't want to stick again.

DSC_3978-Edit-2-1_4000.jpg

DSC_3828-Edit-1_cropped_4000.jpg

RandyDSok

Cannon or Nikon? Just curious :scratchchin:

I'm a Nikon fanboy... lol...

I've just got a basic D3300. I like it but do wish I'd had the funds for a higher end one with more focus points, features like two adjustment wheels instead of just one and other stuff. Just making do with what I got.

If you want a lot of lens options, Canon is the best with Nikon just a little behind them. At the time of my purchase, Canon had been the number one for cameras so long, they are or at least were getting lazy at that time and weren't innovating any longer and Nikon was still improving their line-up. Sony probably has the best sensors out there, but their quality control is ( or was at that time ) lacking causing dust and moisture problems. Fujifilm's DSLR's are really making innovative and high end cameras that are probably the best bang for the buck, but their lens line up is very weak.

If I didn't have anything and were to do it all again... I'll look hard at the Fujifilm stuff but I think I'd still go Nikon in the end if things haven't changed since I last researched cameras. Obviously since I have a few lens now, I'd go with a Nikon upgrade were I in the market.

Rob Lancaster

Nice flag Murankar!!
Mine hangs on the carport roof. (Star field to the left).......

I wonder if Hawaii will be able to see the solar eclipse in April 2024? Something tells me no...

Rob Lancaster

Thanks for the map Randy. and as I thought; no show for Hawaii, doh!..... Just the homeless meth junkies and the car jackings, burglaries, robberies, purse snatchings, assaults. Did you know we just had a second police chief resign for some ethics violations. The first chief and his city prosecutor wife are both doing time for massive corruption like, bribery, destruction of federal property, (mail box) so they could frame someone else for the job and arrest that person. Oh and there's Catherin Kealoha's (City Prosecutor and wife of our former police chief, Louis Kealoha ), embezzlement of hundreds of thousands of dollars from her decrepit grandmother.

The list goes on and on..
Trump would have a -S- hemorrhage if this next thing I tell you was one of his projects. This is business as usual for Hawaii..

For over 10 years, we've have yet another civil infrastructure project that is way over both the deadline and budget. I'm talking about the 16 mile long Honolulu rail project. It was projected to cost 3 billion. And at the time I thought that was ludacris.. I laughed and said no way! By the time this project is finished, it will be WAY MORE that that!

Ok here it is, its over 10 years and the rail is only half finished. The cost to date; over 16 billion and its only half finished.. But wait there's more!! Some of the cement columns that support most of the elevated tracks are cracking at an alarming rate. And I'm not done yet. The idiot engineers that designed the thing years ago, have discovered yet another major problem with this boondoggle. After all this time, those dummies discovered that the wheels are are the wrong size for the track. Or is it the track is the wrong size for the wheels?.. Hell I don't know anymore, LOL!!

Think about this for a minute.
This is steel on steel technology, not mag-lev tec that goes inter island or something.
How can they possibly justify the cost of this "do nothing" project. But they will no matter what because that's business as usual in this pineapple republic. This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The cost of land and the taxes are astronomical! The roads are all waisted too and gas is $4.50 a gallon and climbing. Electricity is super expensive too. Milk is $5.56 a gallon, a little more than gas. Who wants to move here now?? Aloha from paradise, LOL!!

And they keep voting demarcate. Blind fools!!

Top Bottom