What Did You Do Today???

RandyDSok

Check out the photos I posted further back on this page. They show what a job it is to replace a top element/burner..
I'm about to get started so stay tuned for the results of my diagnosis...

The water heater is good now,

Ah....

You had previously asked about going with using either natural gas or propane.... so I made the wrong assumptions thinking it was related to a gas stove/oven .... :)

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hope everyone is doing well :). I just got back from picking up a few items that was buy one get one free at our local Winn Dixie grocery store, Win-Win Lol. I notice that they had items like toilet paper, paper towels and bottle water was back in stock. Not much and limited to one purchase only but they did have it stock. Good sign to come... I hope. I'm also loving my gas price at $1.76 per gallon vs the $2.97 per gallon before covid 19. Overall, we are doing fine and we, wife and I, haven't got under each other skin...just yet LMAO. Only 15 more days for the stay at home order is lifted. Will see. You know how that goes. Anyway, keep your distance, stay at home...if you can and be safe. Hopefully theirs a light at the end of the tunnel :arms:

murankar

Staff member
Gots a question

Need a video card for a PC thats between 250 and 350 that can handle both screen recording and high def gaming at the same time. Any ideas @rdsok

Tony

Staff member
What exactly are you going to be doing with the computer? And I'm guessing the 250 and 350 is dollars?

The 1660 Super is on the low end of that and the 2060 (non super) is at the top of that. Randy can inform you of the AMD equivalents as I do not know those that well.

murankar

Staff member
The step son wants to be able to screen capture his FPS games and upload to YouTube. The normal stuff. Rainbow, fortnight rust etc etc etc.

He will need to do video editing and rendering too.

Yes that was dollars.

Tony

Staff member
In that case, that is the spread of GPU's that are available at this time for that price. Remember though, for video rendering (editing), you will need a good CPU as well. If you are strapped for cash, you can get an older mobo and xeon cpu as more cores are better in that aspect than clock speed. And, you can always OC the chip as long as it is unlocked and the mobo supports it.

As for "capturing", if he is on a console, you will need a capture card. I'm running the Elgato HD60 Pro and it works awesome! But, if he is playing on the computer, you can screen record with OBS or SLOBS, which both also can stream directly to twitch, youtube or facebook if you want.

RandyDSok

Gots a question

Need a video card for a PC thats between 250 and 350 that can handle both screen recording and high def gaming at the same time. Any ideas @rdsok

You may be able to get into 1080p at those prices but 1440p and up will drive the cost up to the $400 and up range on most of the higher end games. There will be some titles that also work well in the 1440p on the lower ( below $350 ) range but it will be limited. The used market may be where you'd want to look in order to get into higher def and still keep some performance.

RTX 2060 ( non-Super ) would be the lowest priced card in that price range running a little over $300 or so. On the AMD side, the 5600XT or the 5700 ( non-XT ) would also fall into that price range. The AMD cards were having some driver issues which most have now been resolved ( I never saw them, but others did ), so you may find a good deal on a used 5700XT. A new 5700XT starts just above $400 and is only about 7-8% slower on average than a RTX 2070 Super which runs about $100 higher, so the used market is where to look for one to keep it in the price range you mentioned.

As for also screen recording at the same time, that will probably rely on your CPU more.... probably a 6-8 core with multi-threading is where you want to be at.

If you are thinking of streaming.... please note that webcams, microphones and video capture cards are all in high demand since everyone is staying at home... so finding any of that equipment is getting tough.

Ok... starting from 1080p and working up... talking about AAA games for the most part. Approx new pricing ...

The Radeon RX 570 ... starts about $130 and up... decent 1080p on most current AAA titles ( but not all ). May work ok on a few AAA 1440p but not on most.

The Radeon RX 580 ... Starts in the $185 range and up... because it typically has 8Gb of memory ( vs the 4Gb on the 570's ), it'll work better with high texture games and such. 1080p shouldn't be an issue on most games and probably work well on a good number of games at 1440p.

The RX 5600 XT is another step up from the RX 580 and starts just above the $300 mark. On average, this probably performs a little below the RTX 2060 ( non-Super ).

The RX 5700 is just above your mentioned price range starting just over $350 and up. This one will likely average about the same as a RTX 2060 Super in performance at a slightly lower cost.

While in the AMD line up... The RX 5700 XT is their current top of the line card. It starts just below $400 with the better cards being slightly over that amount. These are prices similar to the RTX 2060 Super's and usually beat them in performance in most titles. In fact, these perform closer to the RTX 2070 Super only being beat slightly on average ( at about 7-8% slower ) but costing $100 or so less.

The RTX 2060 ( non-Super ).... as mentioned these start just over the $300 mark. I think the RX 580 would be a better consideration but the 2060 does have a few performance advantages in some titles. Having ray tracing hardware isn't an advantage on this one, it drops the performance way too much to make it a benefit.

The RTX 2060 Super.... currently running a little high on price... starting at over $450. The RX 5700 XT would be a better consideration with price and performance taken into account. There are still a few titles it outperforms the 5700 XT in but not many.

The RTX 2070 ( non-Super )... not a consideration with the 2060 Super being in it's same price range and performance

The RTX 2070 Super... starting at over $550 ... at only a 7-8% performance increase over the RX 5700 XT but costing 25% more... I'm not sure it's much of a consideration but at least I'll mention it even if it's way over the price range you listed.

murankar

Staff member
He has the microphone already, not sure what he has for a camera if anything. at this point all I can say is that he wants to record his game play and post to YouTube. As for streaming I am not sure where he us at on that. I know at one point he wanted to. For now it's screen capturing and video processing.

Tony

Staff member
One thing that I can say for sure is he does NOT need the computer that I built lol. I overbuilt it for even my needs lol.

RandyDSok

Some additional considerations....

The system's power supply ( PSU ) is going to need to provide enough power for the graphics card ( GPU ) that is selected... It'd probably be a good idea to verify that the system has a 80+ certified PSU, preferably at least a Bronze or Gold level... but the basic level would at least tell you the PSU is actually capable of providing the wattage that it's rated for. I'd suggest at the very least a 550w and actually recommend a 650w or more.

Do some benchmarking before deciding on what to upgrade to. Check the benchmark while playing the games alone and while recording. This would let you know how much more horsepower is required to get a good product ( video ). Tony and I both already mentioned that the number of CPU cores/threads will also play a big part. So the end result is a matter of both the CPU and the GPU, both need the overhead in order to not affect the other.

Many off the shelf computers aren't really made for gaming... for instance if it's in a low profile case... you'll be hard pressed to find decent low profile video cards. The PSU's are often low wattage and other things. Many companies are known to throw the "Gaming" name in a system, toss in some RGB lights and not really address the real parts like the CPU, GPU and/or PSU... so this is a buyer beware issue, don't look at what has just become marketing terms alone.

murankar

Staff member
I would have to look at the psu. I am not sure of the wattage of it.

Thanks for the info. Got some things to do when I get home. I am out with the kids.

My heli order will be here on. Tuesday. I think payday ill order some cf mains. Will see how the plastics work for now.

murankar

Staff member
This is a mid tower power spec built by micro center. it was bought as an entry level gamer. Its an amd based system with an integrated ati graphics card. We already upgraded the video card once to a Nvidia based card. Now he wants a bigger card. his hard drive is a combination of m2 and a 6 terabyte hdd.

I shall be doing my inspections shortly to see if the system can handle the bigger card. I think the psu will be fine though.

Tony

Staff member
Finally did my taxes... Yea, I kind of forgot about them lmao. Thankfully, there is an extension this year....

Top Bottom