What Did You Do Today???

Tony

Staff member
Not 3 stroke (not sure how that would work lol), 3 cylinder. It's a 4 stroke, 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel engine that is in the tractor.

As for my coop, we have actually expanded it just a bit so the chickens have more room to run. We did that so that we could get more chickens.

As for the cut worms, you just rotate your crops. Every year, we never plant in the same place twice. If you do, the pests from last year will have a hold and they will tear you up. For me in my garden, it's squash bugs (stink bugs). They will destroy a squash plant in a matter of days if you plant in the same area that you did the previous year. Move it over about 20', and it will take them longer to gain a hold. Just long enough for you to douse them with some seven or other pesticide (I am not an organic grower, I don't want to work that damn hard...) and kill them off when they are young.

We still need to plan out our garden this year. There are some plants that help others. If I remember correctly, you can move potatoes over to where your beans were, you can move your beans to where your tomatoes were and you can move your tomatoes to where your potatoes were. Don't quote me on this, but it is good to have a 3 year rotation. 1. it keeps the pests down. 2. it keeps the plans from stripping the soil of nutrients.

I think that answers everything... Just woke up lol.

Rob Lancaster

Ok a 3 cylinder not 3 stroke makes sense now... I was trip'n on that one, LOL!

About the cut worms,, that's it!! I always used the same mounds for the first 2 years with good results.. And on year three, the 3 areas I was using were unusable due to the infestation… Both the vines and pumpkins were board into and ruined... Total loss.. Season 4, total loss.. Season 5, total loss as well so I called it quits…

So crop rotation is important..

When you say kill them off early, what time would that be and would a second treatment be necessary?

If you look at the pictures you'll see the 3 spots I used every season… The picture were taken in the first and second season.

One last thing, do I need to register my helis here in Hawaii?
Thanks Tony for the tips for sure, you got me think'n about the possibilities again.. I defiantly would need a tiller. My back won't tolerate the brutality of doing it with a shovel...

It seems that I can't upload any pictures at this time, sorry...

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
What I meant about hit them early is hit them when you first see them. I wasn't meaning the time of day but rather be more proactive than reactive.

With that said though, that is another good point. You do want to do all of your watering and spraying early. When you water and/or spray, it is going to leave water drops on the plants. Ever burn an ant with a magnifying glass? Same effect from the drop and it can damage the plant.

As for FAA, I'm pretty sure it is 50 state wide (or is it 51 now?....). But, I have not read up on it in a while now, mainly because I don't care about it anymore.

Rob Lancaster

I tried to put down the cutworm bait (granules) two weeks before planting. I used sprays like seven before and when I see the Ba&%$ds but they just laugh it off and bore away...

Let me ask you this; I can't upload any of my pictures here so try to picture it..
My mounds are just that, mounds, the vines grow over 10 to 15 feet long. That means they are growing over the grass and weeds.. What does that do to me as far as the pests are concerned?..

Yup I installed a automatic watering system so I could 1: water when I need to, in the morning when I'm sleeping. 2: The irrigation system kept the water near the ground and off the leaves. As you know this keeps the leaves from burning in the sun and it helps reduce the White Powdery Mildew.. I loved the system I installed. I still use it for my pineapples now. I have a few beauties out there; yes!!

My banana patch is making a good come back too. I almost lost the whole patch after my mom dumped a huge amount of old lawn fertilizer all over the patch. At first I thought it was disease but the neighbors trees are just fine. I planted that patch way back when I was a kid and all these years it was fine. The only thing I need to do for maintenance was to keep the Philippino piss vine off of them.. And if we have a dry season, just water them... The only fertilizer I use on them is just the old cut up stalks. And any grass clippings and the like... Anyway I finally got it out of her,, yup she poisoned my trees.. LOL! I always joke with her now,, "you keep you're meat hooks out of my garden after what you did to my bananas,, HA! She says, she'll never mess with my plants again... Excellent!!! LOL! HA!!!! :biglaugh:

Oh if I could show you the damage...………… FYI: The strain I grow here in Hawaii is known as the Apple Banana. A fat short semi firm sweet tangy banana! Best banana's in the world hands down... They ain't like those long blan generic store bought bananas...

Oh hey, I was trying to fine some info on the RC laws in this crazy state.. So far all I could find is that only drones need to be registered.. Tony, I now what you mean about the feds sometimes. Like with the FAA the FCC can be the same way when the wrong person is in charge. After we were threated with a $20,000. fine and ten years in a federal prison for operating a li'll low power FM stereo station.. Uwe what a threat! We need to lower the boom on these guys..

Fact check: The FCC's number one rule of a broadcast station is to serve the public interest. We are mystified at the FCC's lack of enforcement of this rule.. Specifically with the news outlets. Anyone with three working brain cells can see that most of the news channels are spreading anti American propaganda. This doe's NOT serve the public interest! As a matter of fact it hurts it!! They came after us and they allow this this crap to continue every minute of everyday.. Screw um!! …………

You all out there take care in these crazy times..
Rster...

RandyDSok

While many of the States do have their own rules concerning RC aircraft.... the rules that the FAA are the ones that were being discussed and cover all of the USA airspace.

Remember the term drone is often misused ( technically speaking ) due to ignorance... but often refers to all multi-copters such as any quad etc even when they can't be programmed to fly by themselves and/or through FPV goggles. So you also have to find the definitions in areas of law ( if they were even defined ).

murankar

Staff member
Spent the last month or so in "the lab". I have finally got my servers to where I want it for now. I have 2 domains running on one web server. One domain is hers and the other is mine. Mine is rocking with a few extras. Now I have not built any of the main site stuff yet. I still have to get an ftp server running. I need that so I can build the main site remotely through dreamweaver. So until that's done I have wordpress running for a blog site. I also have my own instance of nextcloud running. Yep my own "cloud" server. The idea here is to get off google possibly. If I can keep my lab stuff off of google that's fine. I dont think I'll give up the personal side.

All I am missing at this point is my own email server. I really dont want to run a mail server on this already over built server. Nextcloud and 2 wordpress sites are going to be enough on here. Plus I am sharing a Mariadb for everything so it's going to be tasked hard if this site actually gets any traffic.

Tony

Staff member
Changed the right front tire on my tractor. Due to the amount of bead damage taking that one off (just stuck to the rim from being on there for 6+ years), I'm going to save the second new tire for the spare rather than the old tire. I may try to take the other one off sometime, but probably not right now. Sure would be nice to have new rubber on the front though.

murankar

Staff member
Web sites are ul and running. Covid 19 has taken its first resident in my county. did some needless shopping. Got a tackti-cool case for the AR which is complete with the exception of one critical piece.l, the mag. Those are on order and who knows when those will ship at this point.

Getting the Misses PC loaded with Adobe CS5 so she can have AI. She wants to make stickers and needs a drawing program that's not paint. Anyhow the long process of installing CS5 has begun and now to wait .

Rob Lancaster

Well we finally got our refrigerator/freezer delivered yesterday. I finally don't need to buy ice everyday or two..
Still waiting for the new dishwasher but we can handle not having that over not having a main refrigerator/freezer...

The second close washer control board is on the way so I hope, the second try works...

Oh hey, I almost forgot to mention the latest two malfunctions..
One is my poor computer controller for my li'll telescope is acting up.
The other is the left front element on our range went south. This can't be happening... HA!

Do you have any idea what it takes to replace a burner in a glass top range compared to the old conventional electric burner? I still love the cleaning convenience of a glass top...……..
Have a look...……..……

Attachments

• IMG_1833.JPG
    IMG_1833.JPG
    280.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    208.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    320.5 KB · Views: 4

Rob Lancaster

I'll see that mug and raise you one....
Ahhh,, the times we live in...
I'm love'n my new sim about now...………..

Attachments

• IMG_1829.JPG
    IMG_1829.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 5

Rob Lancaster

When it come to the washer, the second time was the charm.
This time I went with a different source and boom! The washer works great now, nice..
As we suspected, it was a control board assembly with bad software.

They gave us all kinds of static like we didn't know what we were doing; LOL! Tom's going to have fun tomorrow on the phone with APP; LOL!!

Tomorrow we do the range burner. (part from a different source)
Now that I know how that game is played, it should be faster and easer...

Stay tuned friends and stay safe! Oh hey, Tony, all is well with the emails and all now, thanks buddy, great work!

RandyDSok

Tomorrow we do the range burner.

Ok... a tip from a source ( my Dad ) and not from someone that has actually had to do it... I've just heard about it all my life since I was young... In short, this is about WHAT to do and not HOW to do it.

The main goal you have to work towards is getting a pure blue flame on all of the burners including the one in the oven portion ... it can't have any yellow in it at all. To say that another way, it's about getting the right air gas mixture. The primary reason is for safety, you don't want it to produce carbon monoxide. Secondary to that is efficiency, so you are getting the hottest flame you can.

It may take a little while to bleed out the air in the stove before you can set the air gas mixture... On an older stove without electronics it's easy to know when, the flame will constantly go out until the system is completely bled out. On newer systems with electronics, you also have a thermistor like you see in a house heater that it and it's electronics works properly. If you have the air bled from the system and the flame only stays on while you hold down the button for it to light up... check the thermistor and/or it's circuit. Which brings us to the spark system, if it has one, it's easy to know if it's working... no spark... no worky ( lol ).

That should cover the basics in just about any gas stove.... the rest, the other electronics will depend on which make/model you have and how that portion of them work.

murankar

Staff member
Its a good day I hope. I just ordered a few parts for the 2 oxys I have. The oxy2 needed a new motor pinion, the oxy3 needed new packs already. Only because this guy decided to leave the packs charged for almost a year. 4s 1300 mah packs net a solid 5 minute flight time. I like to have 6 to 7 minutes if possible. we will see how the flight time is.

My Vcontrol is about 4 years old. It needs a new power source so I ordered one of those too. I still need 2 switches what are $20 a pop. One day those will be changed out. For now I'll make do.

I should be flying shortly. Fingers crossed.

Rob Lancaster

That should cover the basics in just about any gas stove....

Hi there rdsok,
Your input on the burner job was very interesting for sure.. I didn't know any of it, until now. Maybe someday it will come in handy but not so much now... That's because , (are you ready for this),, I have an electric drop in unit, LOL!!

Check out the photos I posted further back on this page. They show what a job it is to replace a top element/burner..
I'm about to get started so stay tuned for the results of my diagnosis...

The water heater is good now, the refrigerator/freezer is good now and the close washer is back from the mental hospital as well... The dishwasher delivery is on hold because of the Covid 19 virus...

Ok, time to bust out the tools again. I love it! It gives me something to do... When I'm done, I'm get'n back on the sim...

Top Bottom